• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

5-speed conversions

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Pierce manifold makes a 5speed to MG and Triumph conversion.

Pricey I'm sure.

It's all too rich for my blood.

Eric

'62 SerII

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Going to the KB grind with Vizard-style headwork on my Series V offered one big improvement. That big 'gap' between 2nd and 3rd seemed to magically disappear!

Dick Sanders

Tom, The Alpine is a Series V. I'm not certain about the rear end ratio. Changing to one of the 3.89 or 3.7 rear ends is also a consideration in lieu of doing the trans swap. It would be nice, however, to minimize or loose the big gap between 2nd and 3rd.
Roger

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Three thousand dollars is an awful lot of pennies, maybe I would do it again!

George

You can purchase the kit from Conversion Components without the transmission, saving both the cost of the tranny, the shipping and import duty. The W58 Supra tranny is readily available and can be purchased here in SD for as little as $75. The W50 Corolla tranny is also readily available for about the same price. My total installation cost including a locally sourced tranny was about $1000 - but that was 7 years ago and before the value of US currency went in the tank.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Thank you GB!!!

The price they are asking now is not due to the exchange rate.
It's due to product revaluation due to miscalculations in a business model and greed.

I looked a few years back and they were asking $1200NZ which was the equivilent at the time of $8-900US now they want $3500NZ not including freight or duty for just the kit no tranny.

Eric

'62 SerII

Jim E

Donation Time
I never understood why niether of these two companys have a US distributor, seems SS or CS or VB would be a natural for them to reach the US market. I am sure they would sell a lot more product.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I would go for the dellows kit from AU, it's my understanding that the NZ kit uses a modified rootes bellhousing, where i think the Dellows kit is a custom job. I did some research into this a while back, Jim E might still have a price list in an old email somewhere?

serIIalpine

Donation Time
$350 VS $3500 that's a big difference between the two vendors. Wow big difference. I guess I was right.

Anyway, for $350 for the bellhousing and $75 for the cross member. I can find/ or make everything else here in Los Angeles for less a than what they are asking. This might be a good alternative to my OD I've yet to install.

Eric

'62 SerII

alpine_64

Donation Time
Has anyone actually ever received a response from Dellows? I have tried to contact them on several occasions and have yet to receive a reply.

I got that response when i phoned them in 2003 on behalf of Jim Ellis, they spoke to me for about 30 minutes about the conversion then faxed me the info. I know of a few people who have done the conversion, but being here in AU helps in terms on contact.. if anyone is serious about getting the parts i will help them.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Toyota 5-speed

Hi
I wrote an article, complete with pictures, that I can send you if you like. A link to the Conversion Components website follows:
http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/index.php

Hi Paul:
I would love to see the article if possible. We had a chat about it at the Invasion and this may be the way I should go with my car.
It may take some time due to funds but I would like to know more (and what type of work that I am going to get myself into).
Regards,
Andrew

wframe

Donation Time
Just for everyone's information: This morning I got a call from Pierce Manifolds; they advertise conversion kits for MGs & TRs for the Ford type 9 5-speed transmission. I had sent them an email asking if they made a conversion for the Sunbeam. Currently they do not, but after my inquiry, they is looking into it. They are located in the San Francisco bay area, somewhere near SS. He is going to get in touch with Rick (at SS) to see if they can work something out.

Hopefully he will post something on this forum to see how many of us would be interested.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
5 Speed Conversions

I was talking to John at Quantum Mechanics, Ltd today, and we got on the subject of 5-speed Transmissions. John envisions a bolt-in, no cutting, totally reversable swap kit using the Ford T9 5-speed transmission featuring a .825 overdrive 5th gear for the Alpine 4 cyl engine. This is a popular swap in the MG & Triumph world, but to date there hasn't been enough interest shown by Alpine owners to justify the engineering (he mentioned he has had 2 inquiries). The projected cost (including a professionally rebuilt T9 w/warranty, and all neccesary parts) is $2600. I offered to post this message in order to gauge interest within the club.

So, would anybody be interested?

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this project, and in fact no longer own a Rootes 4 cylinder engine. I crossed over to the dark side years ago!