• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

4:22 rearend

mototron

Donation Time
Hello
I am looking for a 4.22:1 rear for a series II Alpine
or a Tiger rear end with similar gears
Had a great time at Beaver Run lots of track time
with no problems
I need to get my rpms up a Little
Thanks
Rocco #86 VRG

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Mototron,

I cant picture a track slow enough to need the 4.22 gearset.

Are you by chance running overdrive?

Perhaps east coast tracks are slower and tighter?

I have a 3.89 in my alpine, and Ive hit the redline in 4th with it in some places.
Made me want to consider a 3.70 or to find an overdrive that could cope with the power without breaking.

BTW, I ran a 4.55 for a while which is totally useless for anything but an autocross.

mototron

Donation Time
What is your redline ?
On short twisty Tracks (1.5 miles )the only time I hit 4th gear is halfway down the straight away at about 5 - 5.5K rpm
other wise i can stay in 3rd and run it up to 6500
through most of the track
my power band is from 4500-6500

has anyone used a mustang 7.5" rear ?
What is the width hub to hub ?

Thanks
Rocco

RootesRacer

Donation Time
What is your redline ?

has anyone used a mustang 7.5" rear ?

What is the width hub to hub ?

Thanks
Rocco

My redline on the engine in the car is 6500, power band is from 3000 to 6500.
I have another engine where redline is 8000 and power band to 4000 to 7500.

I think the alpine is 50.5 inches flange to flange.

The mustang 7.5 is rather wide (like 54) and are very hard to narrow because you have to buy aftermarket axles since the stockers have rolled splines instead of cut spines.

There are mustang II 8" axles that are just a tad wider than the alpine (51.5), Ive heard people have been able to make them work by getting the right offset of rear wheel. The bigger problem there is IIRC 8 inch ford ratios beyond 4.11 are unobtainium.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Gear Selection

For the East 4.22 is not unusal. Think about the shorter tracks... Lime Rock, NHIS, Nelson Ledges, Roeling road, etc., they really don't have longer straights or large sweeping turns that you see on some of the tracks in the west. (However, Watkins Glen, Bridgehampton, VIR, all had long sections which makes it really tough on Alpine owners! We already have a HP disadvantage to the 356's/others and many times end up with the lesser choice of gears for the rearend... unless you want to make the gear change for the event)

For grins....Tonight I will dig out and post the setup sheets for the SCF Alpine from the 60's. They document the gear setup for every almost every track in the East and even Riverside. However, when you read these gear setups they will seem lower than what you'd assume. Sometimes the gear selction would be driven by the next event, too. If the schedule didn't permit changing the gears then they made the decision which comprimised one of the tracks.

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Here's some of the rear end choices Don Sesslar made for 1964.
Keep in mind he was running Overdrive but I am surprised by the 4:86 setups....

Marlborough 4:22
VIR 4:22
Cumberland 4:86
Stuttgart 4:44
Bridgehampton 4:44
Road America 4:44
Lime Rock 4:44
Lake Garnett 4:44
Milwaulkee 4:44
Thompson 4:86

Steve

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I believe I have one of those complete, drum to drum, but not un-assembled.

PM me an offer if interested.

Shipping would be from zIp 30307 .

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Forgive my ignorance, but is the reason behind using a Tiger or Mustang rear end to give you a better choice and easier to find ratios or is it for more strength?

Thanks, Robin.

mototron

Donation Time
I would like to use the mustang rear for strength and availability of a LSD that is very easy to find at a reasonable price , but i have to go to salvage yard and measure one to see if i can fit it in without the tires sticking out to far

Rocco #86 VRG

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rocco,

Unfortunately, the Mustang II rear end, or any Mustang rear end for that matter, will be too wide for your Alpine. You will need to have it cut down to the size of your Alpine rear end. If you have one cut down, I would recommend putting the pinion in the middle of the car, not offset to one side like the Alpine unit does.

Jose

I would like to use the mustang rear for strength and availability of a LSD that is very easy to find at a reasonable price , but i have to go to salvage yard and measure one to see if i can fit it in without the tires sticking out to far

Rocco #86 VRG