• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

38/38 gas mileage FYI

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I took a trip in the old Alpine from Atlanta to Ft Benning to see the Infantry Museum. Anyway I was on back country roads w/ a stop sign or traffic light here and there and in O/D most of the time. W/ the 38/38 I got around 30 MPG. On the way back I took the interstate running around 3500 rpm in O/D and got about the same. I did not use my odometer but went by the trip meter on a friend's '91 911.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jeb,

That is a great return for the modification. Power and excellent economy when required. I think more people will look at these for an upgrade after such a good reference :).

Regards, Robin.

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a stock 1600 - the original but rebuilt. The heads were opened up a little and I don't know if it made any difference. I was not doing the boy racer thing like up on the mountain roads just cruising along on flat back country roads in O/D. I don't know what my mileage is normally because my speedo is not for O/D but I am sure not nearly as good because I live in the city and I love tacting it up (it's that raspy sound the exhaust makes when I shift).
It's not how fast you go but how fast you feel you're going that counts. And in an Alpine you don't have to go very fast to feel like you're flying.