• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

38/38 downdraft webber

64beam

Donation Time
I am leaning towards using the 38/38 weber. I am negotiating for a series 4 manifold. I am hoping to get it for under $150 since I can get one from sunbeam specialties for $175. I am not sure what the difffereces are between the manifolds. I have been told by a few people that the series 4 manifold can be modified to take the 38/38.
Thanks for all your help,
Robbie

Hi Robbie,

The second-hand manifold that I recently purchased cost me AUS$30. It was a bit dirty, but it works well and cleaned up OK. If money is no object, go for the new manifold at only $25 difference. If the series IV manifold can be modified, go for it.

Keep us informed,

Regards, Robin.

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don,

That does make sense about the smaller air jet making the top end richer - I hadn't thought of that. I'll try the bigger air jet and see how things go the the other (now) smaller jets. Thanks

Robbie

Donation Time
Just bought a single carb intake for $90. I'll get it in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know where to buy a 38/38 weber at the best price ?
Thanks
Robbie

64beam

Donation Time
Does anyone know where to buy a 38/38 weber at the best price ?

Hi Robbie,

I'm not sure whether your auto wreckers or carburettor shops around your area will have one, but I recently tried to find a 32/36 DGV parts carby to replace a few bits on the one fitted to my Alpine. No one had any :( . As RootesRacer suggested, Ebay is probably the best place to look (even reconditioned carburettors will set you back a couple of hundred dollars). In Australia the DGV as an example seem to go for at least Aus$100 (for a decent one) and that needs a good clean and service kit.

Good luck with your search,

Regards, Robin.

Robbie

Donation Time
Thanks for the info Robin and thanks for the heads up Jeb. The carb went for $285 on e-bay. I stopped bidding at $175. I might just end up buying a new one.
Appreciate the help,
Robbie

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Found a factoid on the 32/36. Back in the day, Vizard conducted a test on the 32/36 mounted on a Ford 2.0 intake. It flowed 226 cfm at 25" of water depression. A little math reveals this would be good for 7500 rpm on the 1725 engine. Also, a stock 32/36 was good for 120 hp @ 5000 on the 2.0.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

The Weber 32/36 by all accounts is a very popular carburettor. All the information I have seen recently rates them very highly and as I have found getting my hands on another one is becoming very difficult and frustrating ( everyone wants one! :( ).

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin,
Sunbeam Specialties sells 32/36 weber carbs jetted for Alpines for $270. They can be reached at sunsp22@comcast.net.
Robbie

Hi Robbie,

I do not actually need a new carby as I already bought a second hand one. What I was looking for was the choke shaft out of a DGV 5A. I was just pointing out that these carbies were very sought after at the moment. Thanks anyway.

Regards, Robin.