• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

347 anyone?

Duke

Donation Time
008.jpg

026.jpg

Follow the project here - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2034409&id=1402147496&l=33c2567b45

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Oh my shiny engine bits, me likey.!
Any estimate on how much the build will run (bux wise) & what the hp/torque
will end up at.?
Inquiring minds......

Cheers,
Cris

Duke

Donation Time
Oh my shiny engine bits, me likey.!
Any estimate on how much the build will run (bux wise) & what the hp/torque
will end up at.?
Inquiring minds......

Cheers,
Cris

By the end....~$6000. Thats with saving over $3K buying the short block and heads on Craigslist.

HP/Tq.....expect over 400 on both. Only the dyno will tell me for sure. Once I get the oil pan, I will put the engine on a dyno and find out.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Duke,

The new engine looks great :cool: . I bet your getting very eager to get it in your car.

Regards, Robin.

Duke

Donation Time
015-1.jpg

DukesMot.jpg

This is a power estimate from a Virtual Dyno program that had all of the engine specifications entered.

Engine goes on the dyno next week.

Should be in the car the first week of May.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting oil filter set up.
Be interesting to see how the Virtual compares to the real.
Where did you get the virtual dyno?
So that's a 302 with a stroker kit?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Looks great!

My car has a 5 bolt 289 installed now but a cooling issue arose at the shop (idle at 234 on a 75 degree day with the hood removed...) so I don't have it yet. It will be more of a street motor than a beast-347 :), but should make about the same bhp as a 289 hipo.

Duke

Donation Time
The virtual dyno was done by another Tiger friend....he also built and owns the world’s fastest Sunbeam.

The oil filter assembly is Tiger OEM. I did some research on oil filters flow capacity and the small spin on will not handle the flow of the high volume pump. The small filter can only flow ~3 GPM. My oil pump is capable of 7 GPM, this means the small filter could be in a bypass condition. The large oil filter can flow 7-9 GPM (WIX filter). That made it a no brainer to put the OEM assembly back on.

The block is a 1991 5.0 HO with a Probe 347 stroker kit.

SIVAllan - how much did they overbore the engine? If more than .060, then the cylinder walls may be too thin between the pistons and water jackets causing your temp problem. This was common with people overboreing the 260.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I dont doubt a 347 can produce 550hp, particularly at 7500 RPM.

Not sure what went into the desk dyno input but I do think that is pretty unlikely you are going to get 80%+ VE from 2500 to 7500 RPM.

Call it a friendly wager but I think you will get what you see on the bottom end or the top end but not both.

Looking forward to seeing the data and of course the best of luck.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
The virtual dyno was done by another Tiger friend....he also built and owns the world’s fastest Sunbeam.

The oil filter assembly is Tiger OEM. I did some research on oil filters flow capacity and the small spin on will not handle the flow of the high volume pump. The small filter can only flow ~3 GPM. My oil pump is capable of 7 GPM, this means the small filter could be in a bypass condition. The large oil filter can flow 7-9 GPM (WIX filter). That made it a no brainer to put the OEM assembly back on.

The block is a 1991 5.0 HO with a Probe 347 stroker kit.

SIVAllan - how much did they overbore the engine? If more than .060, then the cylinder walls may be too thin between the pistons and water jackets causing your temp problem. This was common with people overboreing the 260.

Duke, I don't want to hijack your thread and will put this on the email list, but the 289 was sleeved to standard bore. Not sure what happened but a cam bearing spun; also much gas <gallons> pumped into the motor...

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Duke

The engine right now is so pretty.Maybe keep it in the living room to be admired while having a favorite brew.

Nice work.

I do like the oil pan

I'm pretty happy with 315/320 Hp of my 302.but 400 plus with a streetable engine has to be nice.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
A buddy of mine many years ago had a Daimler V8 (from a Dart/SP250) made into coffee table in his den (had a glass top). All that alloy shined up looked pretty nice.

64beam

Donation Time
Great work Duke :cool: , the finished product looks amazing. You decided to go for the original filter after all? I don't think you will be lacking in horse power.