• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

289 Tiger Engine Specifications.

64beam

Donation Time
Numbers? Can you post the graph?

Hi Duke,

I have attached the graph from the dyno run yesterday. As indicated by the different colours, the first two runs were when I had the Tiger in complete stock form, the third and fourth runs were with the four barrel setup (stock air cleaner with K&N filter) and the fifth with no air cleaner. The output is on the graph (stock setup came in at 127 Hp). I'm pretty happy with those numbers for basically a stock 260.

Regards, Robin.

Tiger

Donation Time
A question...

So... More along the lines of the first question in this thread, I'm wondering if the SBF 289 engine originally used in the Mk2 Tiger was in any way different, special, or identifiable from the engines used in Ford Mustangs, Galaxies, etc. Does anyone know? I'm very interested in just knowing.

Imagine I am the prospective buyer of an all-original Mk2 buyer. How would I verify beyond reasonable doubt that the engine in a particular Mk2 being offered to me for sale as "all original, unmolested" is indeed the car's original engine? I don't think these engines had serial numbers other than the valve cover stickers, so how would I be able to confirm that the engine in the car was not just transplanted from another type of car? To me, from the point of view of a finicky collector, that would reduce the value of the car at least a bit. Is there any foolproof way to do this?

Further, on a similar (but different) question about the value of an engine for the sake of Tiger originality, is a an original 289 engine from a Mk2 Tiger worth any more than a normal Mustang 289 engine?

Thanks for any input!

64beam

Donation Time
So... More along the lines of the first question in this thread, I'm wondering if the SBF 289 engine originally used in the Mk2 Tiger was in any way different, special, or identifiable from the engines used in Ford Mustangs, Galaxies, etc. Does anyone know? I'm very interested in just knowing.

Imagine I am the prospective buyer of an all-original Mk2 buyer. How would I verify beyond reasonable doubt that the engine in a particular Mk2 being offered to me for sale as "all original, unmolested" is indeed the car's original engine? I don't think these engines had serial numbers other than the valve cover stickers, so how would I be able to confirm that the engine in the car was not just transplanted from another type of car? To me, from the point of view of a finicky collector, that would reduce the value of the car at least a bit. Is there any foolproof way to do this?

Further, on a similar (but different) question about the value of an engine for the sake of Tiger originality, is a an original 289 engine from a Mk2 Tiger worth any more than a normal Mustang 289 engine?

Thanks for any input!

Hi,

The 289 engines used in the MkII Tiger's were a de-tuned version of the standard 289. The main difference is that they were fitted with a two-barrell carburettor as opposed to the Mustang for instance and would more than likely have been a five bolt pattern (very rare to find, not to mention expensive).
If the engine has a Sunbeam valve sticker on it as well as a five bolt pattern, you may be able to reference it to a particular car (try Norm at TIROST). As you stated, the only serial number on the engine was the sticker on the valve cover, but they can be purchased on Ebay. If the engine is complete with alternator and stock headers, these parts were unique only to the Tiger.
If it was an original five-bolt pattern 289 engine, then yes you would certainly pay more for that engine. Bear in mind that the five-bolts were not solely in the Mk II Tiger's, so it may not be 'Tiger original'. Their high price is normally due to their rarity as they were only produced for one year.
I hope this helps.

Regards, Robin.

Tiger

Donation Time
Six-Bolt 289 in the Mk2

Robin,

Thanks for your reply. I do not believe the Mk2's 289 engine was a five-bolt version, though. In fact, I'm quite sure it was a six-bolt engine. I think the five-bolt 289 was used as a way for owners of 260 Tigers to upgrade their engines to 289 power without having to change out their transmissions and bell housings too. I know the Mk2 Tiger's transmission was the elusive HEH-CF version that had eight holes and wide mounts, which are the same as those used in the six bolt engines. It, therefore, makes little sense to me that the factory would have used the early (five-bolt) engines with the later type of toploader case.

Does anyone have any further input? The more I read the more confused I get! Thank!

agmason

Donation Time
The engine build date is stamped near the water pump on the drivers side. The date should be before the car build date. Norm's book and probably his web site will have your car's build date. I believe all the 289 engines were built in two days and the your engine build date should be one of those to be original. Norm will have the info on when Ford built Rootes 289 engine order.

You can't have a "numbers matching" car like you see with Corvettes and other cars. Rootes didn't keep track of what engine went into what car. Its possible the engine was replaced under warranty and the engine build date could be completely off.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

At least I now know about the Mk II engine. I really should have realized, judging by the year they were produced...never mind. Thanks for setting me straight. Most articles on the Mk II that I have read, don't mention that information.

Regards, Robin.