• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2021 Club Calendar Monthly Car Articles

Slainte

Donation Time
I need to end April with a confession: A few of the elements of my calendar photo may have been … adjusted a little, and I may have relaxed a fact or two in my April 1st story. Before my moment in the spotlight is over, I’d like to set things straight:

As of Saturday, February 5th, 2022, my raggedy ’67 Alpine and I will have spent fifty years trying not to kill each other. My parents - some of the best - saw high school graduation as a chance to provide their geeky son some street cred. Good money after bad, I’m afraid. The car’s first owner had purchased it for his wife as a Valentine’s Day gift, and it had almost no miles on it. The soft top had been up once, and the tonneau was still sealed in its original bag. Not bad for $750. The day after I got my hands on it, a couple of local cops complimented me on how well I’d maintained the car. I took the compliment, but dodged the citation.

I did the things we’ve all done, but wished we hadn’t, yet secretly smiled about later. I raced. I packed in six friends and ditched class for a quick trip to McDonald’s. I hit deer. I made questionable mechanical decisions. I came to know the local police by name. (Pulled over twenty-seven times before my first ticket, and that was in a VW.) I treated the car like a Jeep, and it responded by not stranding me for my stupidity. My dad and I drove it from southern California to Vancouver, BC, arriving in Everett, Washington with a piece of firewood wedged between the alternator and the block because the bracket had broken. Again. The car introduced me to a few sketchy friends, and it made me appear interesting enough to catch the attention of my criminally amazing wife-to-be. Turns out, it’s way more fun getting into trouble with a hot brunette sitting next to you. Anyway, I used the Alpine with abandon, and when the Unpayable Bill finally arrived, I covered the car, gave it a pat, and moved on.

The Alpine dozed in a series of garages as we finished college, started teaching, had kids, and moved to the mountains of northern California. Somewhere along the way, I ran into Jose Rodriguez - V6_Jose to most of this community. Together, we nuanced the Alpine, which resulted in, by my standards, a mildly terrifying little car. (It should be noted that “together” means I found the parts, and Jose did all the work.) I am not a mechanic. I teach English, so I am humble when discussing cars, but I choose my words carefully. The Alpine is bitchin’. Just … bitchin’.

Today, I live at the foot of a volcano, and my next door neighbor is a national park. Every road within a hundred miles was made for this car. It’s the perfect vehicle, in the perfect place, at the (almost) perfect time. The Alpine is written into every chapter of my life. But I imagine many of you understand. Thanks for reading.Canadian Border 7-75.jpg HS Grad Party 6-74.jpg Day One w Sunbeam 2-5-72.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Wow, some wonderful stories here that I can not match. You guys are AMAZING!
May already and my car was picked for this month, so here goes.
I have always loved the Alpines/Tigers since they were first introduced and I wanted to buy a Tiger. At that time everyone I talked to about the Tigers complained of the horrible steering and sudden unpredictable oversteer. Too bad Rootes group threw out the Ackermen angle. Because of all those stories I didn't buy a Tiger in the 1970's when you could actually buy one. Regardless of that, the Alpine styling is always in my heart. Fast forward many Mopars and Porches, drag racing, autocross, time trial and road racing. While browsing Craigslist™ there was a beautiful British racing green virgin 1967 Alpine not too far from me.Sunbeam 1967.jpg
I purchased this car from a Doctor just north of me. It came with a factory hardtop, softop, tonneau cover and extra spare parts. She even came with 5 minilite wheels! Now I can start looking for a wrecked Honda S2000 with a plan to transplant the engine and trans into the Sunbeam. Again back to Craigslist™ and found one near SFO.Sunbeam 1967.jpg S2000 Motor 9000 RPM.jpg
Brought it home and started to take it all apart with the intention of moving all the drivetrain, suspension, steering etc to the Alpine.Sunbeam 1967.jpg S2000 Motor 9000 RPM.jpg CAM00010.jpg Sunbeam 1967.jpg S2000 Motor 9000 RPM.jpg CAM00010.jpg
After taking the entire car apart short of removing the engine and transmission I continued to do more research. In my mind I was going to have and Alpine with a high revving 9K redline motor, 6 speed transmission, Electric Power steering, ABS, Fuel injection, Four wheel disc brakes. That is where it ended, forget the fact that the Honda has a more rigid chassis than most coupes. I would be forfeting power door locks, remote trunk opener, electric windows, A/C , 50/50 weight distribution.
Well as you might have guessed by now the plan changed to put the S2000 back together piece by piece and fit a Sunbeam body onto it! Rest assured there was no way I was going to cut up this Alpine, so I put it on the market and it went to very good home.
Searching Craigslist™ one more time and I found a front clip with motor and transmission. After contacting the seller, they would not part with just the sheetmetal. I was told that for $100 I could have the whole thing, went there in a flash and now had front sheet metal!
I am very happy now that the front is starting to look like an Alpine. After some more searching I was able to score a rear clip from a guy that had a bunch of Sunbeams. From him I got the rear clip, a pair of taillights, and bumpers.
Got the rear quarter panels grafted on the car, but this step required the back half of the car to be cut off and make everything up. Lots of sheet metal was purchased for this build as things got done sometimes two and three times to get it right. The project is really taking shape now, there was just one more thing on my list that needed to be addressed.
On a trip to Croatia we rented a Peugeot with a retractable hardtop it gave me the idea to put this on.
The rectractable hardtop, first attempt was a power roof from a Mercedes. Got the roof to line up, seal at the windshield and fit the body and all the plumbing (Hydralic system) and wiring. Now I needed windows to fit the top, that is where the brakes were hit on this project. Lost a year waiting for windows that were never made for me, now had to regroup and find another way to get a power top. As I was looking at cars that had a power top, which there are many. It seemed to me that the Mita MX-5 NC series Power Rectractable Hard Top 2007-2015 had a very similar door window as the Honda. I wasted no time going to Sacramento and picking up the top with motors. Now comes the fun part of modifiying the car again to accept the PRHT, so I ordered a new windshield support from a Mazda dealer and proceeded to get that installed after removing all that was done for the other top. When it was time to test fit everyting, the windows were so close but not right. Purchased some door windows on Fleabay, made some adapters and finally it is coming together. Needless to say the Mercedes required quite a bit of sheet metal to be cut away to allow the roof to be stowed in the trunk, it was time to find another rear clip. We planned on attending a nephews graduation from Southern California, for the hell of it I searched Craigslist™ in that area and damn it if I didn't find a rear clip!
Scored that and put the car rear back together again. At this point all is good, but the car still looked rough. Since that time a bit of work was done redoing the front end and blending the quarter panels as well as building an entirely new trunk lid form an Alpine boot and a Miata cover. I want to thank all of you on here, because I really could not have done it without your knowledge and expertise. What follows now is final sheet metal touch up, primer and paint.Sunbeam 1967.jpg S2000 Motor 9000 RPM.jpg CAM00010.jpg Mendocino Resized.jpg

Last edited:

Slainte

Donation Time
I helped Greggers prepare the photos for this calendar, and I spent a lot of time staring at your car, trying to sort the Alpine from the mystery. Your article answered my questions, so thank you! I'll bet you get a lot of double-takes as you cruise along!

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Well...June snuck up on me. With two kids graduating college in May, my brain has been caught up in a whirlwind. Lol

Anyway, I'm the owner of the Series V pictured for the month of June. I'm relatively new to Sunbeam ownership (I will mark two years having the car next week) but I have been around them since I was a young teenager, when my dad purchased his first Tiger. He has gone on to own another Tiger and a Series V, both of which he owns today.

My car came from a close family friend, cousin by marriage, who being my dad's best friend wanted to be involved in things that my dad was involved in, so he bought an Alpine. His was more for social purposes than flat out 'car guy' purposes,so it was a bit of a passing fancy, but am I glad he bought it because he actually gifted me the car in 2019.

So about the car itself...

As you can see it is a Series V Alpine [B395012246 LRX with matching engine number and chassis #SAL 610990].
It was produced the third week of November 1966 and the original color was Polar White.

When the previous owner purchased it in the very early 90s, it had just been mechanically restored. My dad drove the car home for him sitting on an MG seat bolted to the Sunbeam frame. The driver seat was the only one in the car. When he got it, he did a cosmetic restoration but not frame off. It was painted and he re-did the interior and installed some type of Chrysler seats out of an 80s vehicle.

When I got the car in 2019, it hadn't been driven since the very early 2000s, so there was much to be done. The engine was great because the previous owner had put probably less than 3000 miles on the rebuild but had to be addressed in the normal ways for a car that had been sitting for so long. Of course hydraulics had to be overhauled as well. With the help of my dad, my neighborhood Sunbeam expert, and 'a little help from my friends' it was made road worthy within a couple of weeks.

Since that time, I have made a few changes in the car. I am a purist at heart when it comes to originality but there were two things that I took into consideration with the car. First of all was the fact that it is not destined for the Concourse. It is a survivor and I am completely okay with that. Secondly, in my opinion there are things that are available now that had they been available when the car was new, they would have put them on it anyway. My view of the car was the same as my view of my 1977 Nova....my first car...I was in love with it and wanted to make it 'mine', while keeping it's 60s heritage in tact. To that point, I've made the following changes (I'd like to call them improvements.

As far as under the bonnet...not much has been changed mechanically other than installing a Pertronix ignition system and I ressurected the heater valve hookup (a cable taped to a support when I got it) with one of the newly produced heater valves from Alpine Innovations, after trying an orignal and a repro of the original that lasted until about the time I cranked the car. Cosmetically under the bonnet; unfortunately the engine compartment wasn't painted when the car was, so that is my 'elephant in the room'. I did do what I could, installing a polished valve cover and painting parts that I had to remove as I worked on them.

The wheels/tires were the first order once the car was running. The tires had been on the car since the early 90s and it hadn't rolled since the early 2000s, so.....
I stayed with 13', which are not in plentiful manufacturer now, unless you are putting them on a trailer. I found and have been happy with Kumho Solus TA11 185 70R 13.
The wheels are Chip Foose 'one offs'...okay, I made that up but they are 'one offs' of a sort. To make a long story short, it had Superior wheels from the 80s that had drop in wire baskets and spinners that would reach out and grab you off of the sidewalk. I tossed the baskets and the spinners, polished the tubs, found center pieces that would fit and found die cut adhesive badges in the UK to place on them. They are far from what you normally see on a Sunbeam but it never fails that when I am at a show or when I post a pic on social media, the first comments and/or questions are about the wheels.

My next couple of projects came out of what I considered necessity. The first came about after I drove the car for the first time in the dark. I might as well have been holding a flashlight above the windshield because it would have thrown out more light than the headlights. I live in a rural area, as in stretches with no street lighting, so I literally got out of the car, walked into the house and ordered Joe Parlanti's lighting all around...LED for me!

The next project came out of one too many times of something blowing a fuse and killing the car, leaving me on the side of the road changing out fuses and figuring out what to unplug and what to leave plugged in to allow the car to run without blowing the fuse again. The owner prior to the person I got the car from had done some spaghetti splicing, so it wasn't as simple as tracing a wiring diagram. That and the fact that I saw no practical benefit to running a car off of two fuses...and most of the circuits off of only one...led me to order Pete's wiring harness from Steve Shuttleton. That was one of the best things I have done because not only did I bring in the security of the new wiring harness, I became fast friends Steve and he had been a great resource as well.

With the installation of the wiring harness came stripping the interior. I wanted original seats, new carpeting and to redo my dash, so I figured I'd do it all at the same time. The seats are a horror story of their own (if you've had to disassemble them to rebuild them, you know what I'm talking about) but the undertaking became a COVID project, as my business was very much affected and slowed down for a while. I got seat covers, a console cover, material to do the bottom crash bar, material to do the dash and a soft top boot cover from Martha Christiansen (Wheat) and I was off. I matched the dash to the seats, which are both two-tone now, so it gave a little different look. With Steve's help over the www, the harness installation, although overwhelming a bit at the onset, went well.

This left bringing the paint back to life which I did with the help of Griot's Garage system of polish and wax.

Other than that, due to the events of another sad story, the front suspension/steering has been almost completely rebuilt and there are a few other odds and ends...AMCO Sunbeam shift knob comes to mind...but I'm pretty happy with what I have.

My future plan is to hopefully install Dan Richardson's brake kit.

I've spent tens if not hundreds of hours on the car, getting out of my comfort zone, making new acquaintances here and elswhere, and making the weekly episode from the Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube my new favorite TV show. All the while, it's given me another thing to be involved in with my dad, another outlet for escape, and a cool little car the turns heads and leads to pleasant conversations.

Yep...I'm pretty happy with my little survivor Sunbeam Alpine and thank all of you for help you have provided and continue to provide along the way.

On a final note: I'd love to have information on the car ownership and history before the man who had it before me.
He doesn't remember who he got it from but it was in the Atlanta metro area and I believe Cobb county.

Attachments

• 186496804_164729665654954_268833540506503483_n.jpg
    186496804_164729665654954_268833540506503483_n.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 159426765_126256609502260_6379479145798840310_n.jpg
    159426765_126256609502260_6379479145798840310_n.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 156398082_122664476528140_5649712105238482091_n.jpg
    156398082_122664476528140_5649712105238482091_n.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 32
  • 154707952_121616499966271_5890142348035309013_n.jpg
    154707952_121616499966271_5890142348035309013_n.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 32

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Emmett
I am the calendar guy.
You recently joined up at the Platinum level-I have been away for a few weeks and will send you your packet soon-which has this years calendar in it. I have a few other members packets to mail out too!
Thanks for supporting our club. And we need good photos of Sunbeams to put together next year's calendar too
thank you
Eric

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
It was posted a while back in this thread. Go back up to the top and read down, it's up there.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am up, sorry so late.
I am honored my car was entered and glad to see it made August, since my car was the last car to leave the assembly line on Friday, Aug 18, 1961 making it 60 years old next week.

Just for fun I looked up facts from that date:

John F. Kennedy was President of the United States
Gas was $.29 a gallon
First class stamp was $.04
Gallon of milk was $.49
A new home was $17,200

The biggest thing that caught my eye was, the week my car was built East Germany replaced the barbed wire with a concrete wall. Glad to see that was torn down in my lifetime.

My Alpine is the first car I ever bought in 1977, I was 15, and have loved it ever since. As most of you know I have been modifying it ever since. In 1979, I installed Datsun running gear in it and about 6 years ago replaced it with Mazda running gear. This was the best thing I have done to the car. This was my daily driver for most of my life and still enjoy driving it.
IMG-XL.jpg

IMG_0052-XL.jpg

18.jpg

31.jpg

RIMG1553-XL.jpg

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
In honor of Halloween, I got a wee bit tricky with the calendar car for October. It's my white car wearing a costume (which I Photoshopped to simulate its original Mediterranean Blue). Bonus points if you can guess how you can tell that it's really a white car. I left a clue or two in there.

I first acquired Miss Moneypenny in August of 2012. But my Sunbeam story actually began quite a while before that with a late-night tennis match. In March of 2011, I was playing a make-up match, and my partner decided to ignore an easy ball on his side of the court thinking I would get it. So I went after it. My knee didn't. After extensive surgery to repair an exploded patellar tendon (thanks for asking), for about six months, my entire world was the guest bedroom, guest bath, kitchen – well, that and about 18 hours a day of the Velocity Channel (Now MotorTrend).

While watching hours upon hours of Wheeler Dealers, Overhaulin', and dozens of other shows, I looked over at my dresser where I had a little Johnny Lightning Sunbeam Tiger car, and an idea popped into my head.
image.jpeg

I figured, hey, if these idiots on these shows can do this stuff, certainly I can (mistake #1). I began searching the local Craigslist for a Tiger for sale. For months, none ever came up. When one finally did, I got very excited. Until I saw the fact that the bottom half was so rusty it was practically powder. So after quite a bit more searching and only finding pretty but expensive ones, I realized that a Tiger wasn't going to be an option (remember, I spent six months in bed, so my (lack of) income couldn't quite allow something so spendy as a Tiger).

That's when I discovered a Craigslist aggregator. Now, I able to search the entire US multiple times a day for just the right Alpine. Well, rather than the right Alpine, I ended up with Miss Moneypenny. I headed out to Northern Mississippi for a test drive. She was running on three cylinders, idling at 2000 RPM to hide that fact, and had roughly zero rubber bits left (the perished steering cross tube bushings were especially fun to drive with). But an hour later, she was mine.

Thus began a rolling restoration that pretty much continues to this day, nine years later. Here are just a few of the things I've done over the years:
  • Replaced all the rubber
  • Rewired with the Rebel kit
  • Became well acquainted with Sunbeam Specialties and Classic Sunbeam (with a dishonorable mention to Victoria British)
  • Rebuilt the motor top end
  • Became well acquainted with the machine shop dude at my local NAPA
  • Swapped in a fresher motor and upgraded to overdrive
  • Switched to electronic gauges
  • Leather-wrapped the steering wheel (four hours I'll never get back)
  • Added a bluetooth stereo
  • Added Miata seats with speakers in the headrests
  • Recovered said Miata seats (four weekends I'll never get back)
  • Rebuilt clutch master
  • Rebuilt clutch slave
  • Rebuilt brake master x3 (I know, get it sleeved by White Post)
  • Replaced clutch slave
  • Replaced brake master
  • Rebuilt carbs several times
  • Replaced the carbs (with ones that could be properly rebuilt)
  • Rebuilt fuel pump
  • And polished the heck out of 25-year-old paint
And the bulk of it was done in a garage so small you could either have the driver's door most of the way open or... well, that's pretty much it. The passenger door was an inch away from the shelving unit of parts.
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 6.22.15 PM.png

At this point, nine years after we first met, Miss Moneypenny is ready to belong to someone else, someone willing to take it to the next level, start over, or as was looking like a genuine possibility last Saturday, turn her into a Tiger parts car ("I was going to buy it to tear it apart, but it's too nice to do that."). Look for her coming soon to a for-sale forum near you.

Oh, by the way, I call her Miss Moneypenny because A. I bought her in MISSissippi, B. I've got quite a bit of MONEY sunk into her, and C. Because the first time I jacked her up, a PENNY that the previous owner was using to shim the suspension fell out. Now ask me what I call that previous owner.
IMG_3661.JPG

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Great story! Was actually looking at the calendar today and thought the color on your car was just not
quite right, not Mediterranean Blue, but a kind of light blue that just wasn't quite stock. Looks great,
just not stock!

Your story reminds me of my first Alpine, a long time ago! A friend and I hot wired it because the owner
wasn't home and we wanted to hear it run. It did and so did a half a dozen mice that were living in it.

Ah, those were the days!

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
My car is on the calendar for this month. It’s a Series 3 ST, titled as a 1964. I bought the car from a former forum member in 2010. The body looked to be in decent shape, but it had significant rust in the floors. Of course when I began stripping paint off of it, it was much worse than it appeared. I stripped the car completely and mounted it on a rotisserie. All of the floors, rockers, lower portions of the fenders and more were replaced. I literally wore out a welder! Ultimately every part of the car was either refurbished or replaced. I have the original engine block and transmission, but decided to re-build and installed a 1725 cc engine and OD transmission that I got with a SV parts car. I painted the car in a makeshift spray booth in my driveway, followed by lots of wet sanding and buffing. I finished it (is it really ever finished?) in 2019 and have put about 3500 miles on it since then. I love it! My son took the picture (the one from last year too - April) - he is a terrific photographer/cinematographer.

Mike

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Miss December

My SV is the current calendar feature, so it is my turn to tell its history. Unfortunately, I told that history pretty completely last year in the TEAE newsletter and there isn't much more to tell. So, please feel free to skip this if you already read that. But, I will try to add a few bits to avoid being completely redundant with that.

The purchase of my Alpine had slightly strange start. Unlike many of you, I didn't grow up working on cars. I was always handy, but no one in my family ever got greasy under the hood of a car. However, I was a starving grad student in the mid 70's and started doing routine maintenance on my cars to save money. Then, a good friend of mine bought a 1949 Willys Jeepster in early 1979. Neither of us had much experience working on cars, but that didn’t stop us from deciding to rebuild his brakes. We removed the left front wheel and brake drum and studied the assembly. My friend wanted to see how they worked and asked me to step on the brake pedal. Many of you will know where this is going, but…Boom! The brake exploded sending shoes, springs and fluid flying in two directions. Fortunately, my friend was looking straight on and was spared serious injury. But we’d made a mess.

That explosion was actually the start of my 42-year Sunbeam adventure. He and I carefully dismantled the right front brake, saw how everything went together and successfully put both brakes back together with new seals. That experience told me that I was capable of working on my own old car and I started my search for a classic sports car. I was interested in trying to find a VW Karmann Ghia but a mechanic I knew told me about an Alpine that was for sale nearby and I went to look at it. I actually knew the car, as it had once been owned by a friend's girlfriend (coincidentally, the same friend who owned the Willys). The car was a very rusty Forest Green SV, but it came with a Carnival Red parts car with a factory hard top. He wanted $600 for the pair. Everything worked on the green car and, after a short test drive around his neighborhood, I gave him the $600 and took my new car(s) home. (The car was originally titled in my wife’s name, but it has pretty much always been mine. Also note from the receipt that the car was previously titled as a 1967. The DMV changed it to a 1966 when I titled the car, but I now assume it was originally sold in 1967.)

upload_2021-12-3_10-14-49.jpeg

I remember driving the car home like it was yesterday. It was cloudy and cool and I left the seller's neighborhood and got on the highway to drive the car home. The car started violently shaking as soon as I got over 45 mph, which is when I learned a valuable lesson about what a test drive should mean. $600 was a lot of money to me at the time and I was kicking myself over the money I’d just wasted on a car I couldn’t drive over 45 mph. At that moment, the clouds cleared and the sun came out. I decided that 45 wasn’t that bad.

Fortunately, the problem turned out to be very low and uneven tire air pressure and with a little air the car instantly became drivable and I enjoyed it for the next year. However, there was still that rust problem to deal with. I spent a lot of time reading up on rust repair and decided it was something I could probably tackle. But there was also that red parts car; it seemed pretty solid. Maybe I should fix that one instead? I had a copy of the Autobooks repair manual and carefully studied the instructions for removing and re-installing an engine and transmission. It also seemed like something I could handle. I decided to get a better look at the red car and jacked it up with the factory jack. It looked pretty solid underneath, so I went to repeat that examination with the green one. That was when I discovered that the factory jack points no longer existed on the car. They’d rusted away completely! My decision was made.

I rented an engine lift and turned the two cars into one over a long weekend. I took the engine and transmission out of the green car and, along with anything else that looked better, put them into the red one. I finished up Sunday evening and wanted to see if my work had been successful. Unfortunately, ‘the best of both’ included changing the green car’s generator (I have no idea why it was wired that way) to the red one’s alternator and I didn’t have a fan belt that fit the new combination. I tied a piece of rope tightly around the alternator and fan pulley and turned the key. It actually started! That was good enough and I was at the auto parts store when it opened up Monday morning to purchase the correct fan belt. The car ran great and I have been driving it ever since.

upload_2021-12-3_10-21-26.jpegupload_2021-12-3_10-21-26.jpeg
upload_2021-12-3_10-21-26.jpegupload_2021-12-3_10-21-26.jpeg

(As a side note, I'd really like that 26 year-old body back!)

The green SV stuck around for a couple more years as a parts car but I lost my storage on that in the early 80’s and traded it to Joe Lewis of Classic Sunbeam Auto Parts (when they were in Toms River, NJ) for a new set of shock absorbers for the red SV.

Of course, my SV is a little like George Washington’s hatchet and no longer has the same engine, transmission, rear end, wire wheels, paint, etc. But I’m still driving it! I haven't actually owned it continuously since 1979. I lived in England from 1995-1999 and sold it to a friend for $1 when I left and bought it back for the same $1 when I returned. It was a good deal for both of us. He worked on it and enjoyed it while I was gone (it had a blown head gasket when I left) and I paid for all of the parts. We were both happy with the results and I got back a better car than the one I "sold" him.

I discovered the SAOCA shortly after I returned to the States in 1999 and joined immediately. Despite the engine swap, I had never really been inside the engine, but the Club gave me the confidence to stretch out and try more. It also introduced me to Jim Ellis, who became my automotive mentor and with his guidance I built a new engine and did far more with the car than I ever thought would be possible. I have always said that I can't imagine still owning the car (let alone 3 more that are stories for another day) without this Club and I have been very happy to give back to the club over the past several years. I truly believe that the SAOCA is the best thing that has happened to Sunbeam ownership, at least in my 42 years of experience!

p.s. One more thing: The beginning of the article might sound vaguely familiar to some of the members because it has been published before, in RockAuto’s Repair Mistakes & Blunders column: https://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/archives/72111.html
And, there is actually a little more to the engine swap story that was again published by RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/archives/5-16-19.html
That one was actually number 3 of my mistakes they have published. Here’s the one in the middle: https://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/archives/7-24-14.html
I think (hope) I am done with Alpine mistakes for them, but do have one more story (involving a Mercedes 230sl that I used to own) that I am going to send them one of these days. I’m just waiting until I need a new hat.

Last edited: