• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2020 Calendar articles

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
May Day. My Car. As a teenager, the idea of owning your very own "Calendar Girl" (Side bar, disregarding the raging hormones), from a renowned auto club, would have been just the tops. Hey guys and gals, got my very own "Calendar Girl."

I had been restoring a few cars here and there, 67 mustang ht. 68 mustang convertible, 69 GMC pickup, 70 GTO convertible. American Muscle and all that.

Then I saw a Craigslist ad for a 67 Alpine. Had one in 1975 when I first came to Ca. Had to sell it because I couldn't afford to fix the clutch. Yep, didn't have too much money back then and wasn't into fixing cars at that time. Friends reactions? "You're selling your GTO, and going to buy what" "Well, that's just crazy."

While the engine did turn over, just could not get it to start. But since it was the in correct engine for the year of car, decided to just proceed with finding the correct engine. Actually ended up with four 1725's and proceeded from there. Wire wheels were trashed, spindles were no good, fortunately was able to get one engine, front spindles complete, and rear member complete for a steel wheel car
The body was a rust-free California car, with minimal dents here and there, and was by far the cheapest part of the restoration. Unfortunately, I didn't know/realize that it also had a round cornered boot lid, until after having the body and paint work done. Arghhhh!!!
The interior needed just a tad of work, and the more I looked at red cars, the more I wanted a tan interior. Good choice me thinks.

After finally getting everything done, (are we ever done?) it presented well, and ran well.
Didn't like the engine, didn't like the black engine compartment, didn't like the scream of the high RPMs at 60 mph. Elected to build another engine, and get the overdrive transmission, and a 3.98 rear end. After an inch and a half folder of receipts, I was finally done. Not.

After eleven years, it's time to start over again. Same car, just going back and rebuilding the things I couldn't afford before, or too leery of the job, or whatever reason. Finally rebuilt the front suspension, and now working on the rear suspension along with new wheel bearings, and getting that 3.89 differential tweaked on. Once again attempting to stop some of these nasty driveway staining leaks. Another Arghhhh!!!

I'll add one more photo that's kind of my favorite. Sunny parked in the Auto Club Speedway pits. Playing with the big boys.

Attachments

• P1010752.JPG
    P1010752.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010740.JPG
    P1010740.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010730.JPG
    P1010730.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    390.1 KB · Views: 80
  • P1010733.JPG
    P1010733.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Sunny Playing with the Big Boys..jpg
    Sunny Playing with the Big Boys..jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 80

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,
Your car is gracing my shop at the moment! Looks great, and what a great setting!!
These articles are great, keep 'em coming!

Cheers!
Steve

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
If anyone noticed yes, that's aluminum foil wrapped around anything I didn't want painted. I watched a guy foil wrap everything on a car when he repainted it, and it was so fast and efficient. It does the job, no paper, no taping.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting "Foil" wrap for painting or not painting specific places:) Must try …. and I do like the tan interior.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a tan interior from SS ready to install when I get the car back from paint. I like the look with the red body. I hope to like it even more with blue.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tan carpet just beware of British cars and those other old cars that are marking their spots constantly ;) one and step on the rug and .. oh no

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mine is black, with black carpets, tan interior with seats ( SIV) with black
piping. Black accents as well.
IMG_1160.JPG

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, that looks good to me.

I have a black dash pad, but will go with the tan for the lower dash buffer.

loose_electron

Donation Time
July - My car
That picture is shot looking over San Diego Bay towards the city. Two stories here - the car, and my history with the Sunbeam brand.

The car (1963 Series 2 ) Like a lot of others, this car was purchased from a prior owner, who purchased it from a prior owner! When I got the car the engine and power train (2.8 V6 with T5 like many others) had been done, and the body had been repainted. What I have done to it in the last several years: Fuel system and tank clean and coat, new fuel tank sender, new carb, fixed leaky intake manifold, replaced rings on one piston where the compression was off from the other 5 (engine was recently rebuilt from ground up with a more aggressive cam) new electrical wiring end to end, all new instruments (speed hut) all new lights (LED everywhere) - it's now largely a sunny day driver of which we have a lot here in San Diego.

My history with Sunbeam - My father ran a small car dealership in Weymouth Massachusetts in the 1950 to 1990 era. He sold Hillmans, Sunbeams (tigers and Alpines, and then the fastback) and in the 1965-1980 era, I was working for the family business (cheap child labor!) using kerosene to clean the creosote off the new cars that came off the ship in Hingham Massachusetts. Both my sisters and myself had several Alpines and a Tiger back in that era. After Chrysler bought Rootes and then stopped manufacturing the Tiger (Ford engine in a Chrysler product) and stopped bringing all Rootes products to the USA, the family business turned to selling Peugeots instead.

My sister owned a white Alpine that she left in the front yard, forgot to leave it in gear or set the parking brake. It rolled down a hill and smashed into a tree, just to round out the story.

These days I am an electrical engineer doing medical devices, but fixing both Sunbeams and Peugeots is what paid for school.

:)

Jerry

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Thank you for sharing Jerry, Always nice to hear about someone else's Calendar Girl. I was looking for a big fin car when I was shopping, but the V came along, and I was smitten. Nice picture, nice car.

Jim

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the story about your car. I have been making note of your posts about rewiring an alpine. I will make good use of your recommendations when I get my car back from paint in October.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Thanks for the story about your car. I have been making note of your posts about rewiring an alpine. I will make good use of your recommendations when I get my car back from paint in October.
Happy to help with any electrical questions where I can. Back in the day they did not design the electrical system to be safe, and adding the Lucas electrical problems and poor chassis grounds to the equation just makes it worse.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I too am an engineer, but chemical, not electrical. I am pretty good with electrical, but this will be the first time I have installed a complete harness.

loose_electron

Donation Time
I too am an engineer, but chemical, not electrical. I am pretty good with electrical, but this will be the first time I have installed a complete harness.
Must have items: A good quality crimping tool, heat shrink tubing to cover connectors, a small heat gun for shrinking the tubing, a good quality set of cutters and strippers. If doing the big battery cables, hydraulic crimpers. Do not solder connections. One other trick - While getting everything working disconnect the batter y and put a small (5A) fuse in series at the battery. If you mess something up you pop the little fuse. After it is all working you can get rid of the little fuse.