• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2014 Calendar/Posters etc

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Ok friends and neighbors. Get your cameras out and pay attention. We just held a Board meeting and I opened my mouth and got assigned to the Calendar Project. Help me out...... PLEEEAAASSSEEEE!

I need pictures of your cars. All of them. Shiney show cars, 10 foot drivers, original cars, "Barn Finds", assembled/disassembled, projects in the works and by special request, "Diamonds in the Rough". (Somewhere John Prine is smiling)

The idea is to have a serious representation of the Sunbeam Alpine/Darkside/Tiger/Rootes/ etc. lifestyle /community/ experience. What does owning a Sunbeam mean to you? Frankly, I'd like to get away from the standard 45 degree/slight downward angle, typical beauty shot.

You don't need to be a pro shooter, or have them done in a studio. I'll take them parked, being driven, posed, candid, with or without you, with your dog in front of it, all your cars to demonstrate you're obsessive nature, parts of your cars, section of the car, lowering an engine into the bay.... whatever. Shoot it with bugs and road grime fresh off a great drive. Maybe use an old example of classic Sunbeam brochures or ads and recreate it in 2013. Be artsy. Got one of an interesting angle of your fins?

Send it in.
Be creative.
Be different.
Think outside the box.

PM me for my direct e-mail address when you have something. I'd like to have 40-50 to pick from by say end of October. It's not a contest. It's your contribution to fellow members of SAOCA. Be part of it. Have fun with it. If we don't use it this year, and the membership gets a kick out of this, we may use it next go round. Like I said before, we'd like this to be representive of the Sunbeam Experience, and they ain't all shiney, pristine, layers of wax, and 50 foot deep paint jobs.

Last edited:

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Update!

I've received exactly 1, count 'em, 1 submission for the 2014 calendar. Geez Louise guys and gals..... I have plenty of Sunbeam Alpine pictures in my files but would much rather see some from you all...

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm sending some new ones .....as soon as I get back from vacation:D
Hope that's not too late.

Tom j

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Wow! I guess everybody was like me thinking you get tons and wouldn't need mine :)

It'll be a few days, but I'll have some for ya. What resolution do you want? i.e. small ones for viewing and big ones if you decide to use them? I only say because my camera creates some pretty big files.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I was hopeing that was the case. My next post was going to be a threat of a calendar of all my car.... Remember... Not all the typical posed shot. Think of what the Alpine experience means. Sit in your garage and look around. Look closely at your car. Tell a story. The one I got already was way off the norm.

My plan is to send them to your Board without names. Try to make it as objective as possible.

For now send files under a meg. When I get a group we will contact the 6 or 12. I'll pm you my mailing address.

alpine_64

Donation Time
nick,

just saw this thread.. have PM'ed you my email address.. drop me yours and i will send some pics through.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Cool pick Kelly, are you thinking about painting in the grill area black as per factory.. helps define the open area. Doesn't make much of a difference on the dark coloured cars but on the light ones it does.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kelly,

what do you you think?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...V1V8U-5opoc/w550-h393-no/KMATHIS_._rework.jpg

KMATHIS_._rework.jpg

kmathis

Donation Time
I don't know...I spent some time, making that all real nice in that grill area; I guess I didn't know that it was black from the factory. Would have saved me a lot of time, but I think I will leave mine body color. :)

Nick, I will send another file to your e-mail.

Thanks,

kmathis

Donation Time
Michael: Actually, now that I looked closer, I see that you made that area darker...I like your picture better. I may have to consider that, as it really does make that area look better.
Thanks,:)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael: Actually, now that I looked closer, I see that you made that area darker...I like your picture better. I may have to consider that, as it really does make that area look better.
Thanks,:)

Kelly,

Yes i used photoshop to fill in the grill area with a black overlay, but reduced the opacity so you still got some of the panel definition.

The factory painted that area a matt/satin black, it defines the grill opening much better (that said.. does more for light coloured cars than dark)

Do you have the small trim finisher that runs along the valence? That is the point that defines where the black stops. The factory painted it by hand. they also did the small area inside the gutters on the A-post (the drains that run from the door edge round the scuttle, though very few people bother painting those.. but the grill does make a noticeable difference.

Nick.. sorry for derailing the thread a bit.. maybe we can shuffle this bit of it into the stock section of the forum?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
No problem Michael. I'm glad to be getting input from the members. I'd like to have more entries for the board to consider.

Keep those files coming please. Pm me for my email address. I'm going to close this out in 2 weeks.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Okay guys. One last call.... 'specially if you're car ain't red? How about a nice BRG? Blue?

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nope. I shot a few more but none that I can can picture being on a calendar. Maybe next year when she's lookin' a little more complete (well, at least running :) ).

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike.

BUT!

A major part of what we do as part of owning and maintaining our cars is work on them. Friends helping each other and the other guy reciprocating later. Half the experience of classic car ownership is the camaraderie. And the time spent on the details.

I'd love to see some garage shots.