• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

20-80 Times

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am planning on making a few changes to the Alpine - electric fan, low backflow muffler and, if the planets align correctly, a lightweight (9 lb) flywheel. So I decided to establish a new baseline. I had diddled with the tune this past spring, nothing major. A nip here, a tuck there. The biggest change was to increase coil dwell, which helped cure an irritating hiccup in the low teens. I had also installed the spoiler, all of which had an unknown impact on performance.

So I headed for my "test track". It is undergoing some maintenance and has a gravelly, but still black, surface. I also had the hard top on the car. Here are the results.

speed--rpm---time(sec)
20------1627
30------2441---1.3
40------3255---1.2
50------4068---1.2
60------4882---1.2
70------5695---1.3
80------6509---2.1

Total------------8.3 seconds

WOW!

Was I ever surprised. I have always had a problem with the tune being a Jekyll and Hyde sort of thing. Sometimes going like a bat out of hell, usually not. It is still variable, but not to the extent it had been. Here's hoping it continues in this mode.

Oh yes, conditions. 80 F, calm with light cloud cover. Humidity 67%.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Returned to the test track this afternoon to see how the 2.5 compared to the 2.3.

I need to explain that the times last run are bogus, due to a computer malfunction. Worse yet, a return to the track the next showed the performance had been an outlier. It was painfully obvious, as I was still "on it" when I passed the spot I had turned around the previous day. I had always had problems with engine not giving consistent performance and thought I solved the problem, but had not. I had changed almost everything (except the engine computer) at least twice to no avail. It was then I decided it was time to change things.

First off, the engine computer had to go.
Second, I was tired of the vibes of the big four. Ford had decided to not use balance shafts in the truck version of the engine, probably depending on fancy motor mounts. I barely have room for "hockey puck" mounts. The Fusion version of the engine had balance shafts and soon was enlarged to 2.5, and given a large port head. Ford sort of screwed the 2.3 truck engine, it had the 2.0 head. So the Fusion engine promised smoother operation and perhaps more power, especially at higher rpms.

Anyway, here are the results. The engine was tuned using 89 octane fuel, but I had quite a bit of pre-ignition when using 87, so I detuned it a bit. We use the car on long trips and there are situations where you have to buy whatever gas is available. That resulted in the advance at 2,000 rpm of only 19 degrees. It is very smooth and responsive, but definitely down on power. Probably will look at the 2,000 rpm advance again with load of 87.

mph - - - -- time - - - - - rpm
20-30 - - - -2.31 - - - 1625 - 2437
30-40 - - - -1.88 - - - 2437 - 3250
40-50 - - - -1.78 - - - 3250 - 4062
50-60 - - - -1.89 - - - 4062 - 4875
60-70 - - - -1.79 - - - 4875 - 5687
70-80 - - - -1.83 - - - 5687 - 6500
Total - - - -11.60

This is a couple of tenths quicker than the best "legitimate" times of the 2.3 engine. Slower down low, about the same midrange, much quicker on top. The engine is MUCH smoother. Lights in the rear view mirror actually look like lights, not big cotton balls.

Times are a two way average. Temperature was 80 degrees.

Last edited:

alsalp

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

Great work on the Duratec swap! It really helps me because I now considering upgrading to a modern light weight 4 cyl from the v6.

So based on your research and experience what would be the best engine for the Alpine? 2.5? Fusion? Some 2.3 or 2.0?
Is there a mix and match head/block combo?

Also beside the transmission what is the advantage of the ranger engine?
They all have that weird rear coolant passage at the rear. Would a FWD oil pan fit around the Alpine cross member easier? I am set up with a T5 already so I would be inclined to get the Quad4rods bell housing to mate to the engine

I'd like to get around 200 hp and was about to do the port/polish 2.9 valve, cam etc upgrade but found one of my 74 heads were was cracked. I've been dreaming about building the ultimate 2.8 for years with all the methods on this site like heads, cam,roller valve train. I even came up with a way to do a Roller Cam in the 2.8 hat I think could work with off the shelf parts. Anyway I could hunt down another head or move on with what's readily available and more advanced.

I've had my 2.8/T5 set up for over 20 years and its been good but I think times being what they are there a small lightweight engine with more potential is a way to go. Heck with 140 lb weight savings 150hp would feel like 200 hp in the v6.
:cool:

Keep up the good work,
Al

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"So based on your research and experience what would be the best engine for the Alpine? 2.5? Fusion? Some 2.3 or 2.0? "
I hate to sound like a smart ass (sort of) but the answer depends on what you want. Lets say you want about 175 hp.

The 2.5 will get it the old fashioned way. Cubic inches with a flat power band all the way to 6500. Balance shafts, so it runs electric motor smooth, even with archaic motor mounts.

The Ranger 2.3 gets it the bad ass way. No balance shaft (they are for sissies) and simple, lightweight crank. But it has the 2.0 head, so it runs out of breath at about 5k. Supposedly the strongest crank and block.

The Fusion 2.3 adds balance shafts and a heavier crank to the Ranger, also better flowing head. So things sort of balance out. But the balance shafts smooth out the big thumper, but add rotating weight. You can put this head on the Ranger or remove the balance shafts.

The 2.0 has to be built as a screamer with some sacrifice on the bottom end. No balance shafts, but then the smaller engine does not need it as desperately as its bigger brothers. What you want really determines what you should get.

"Is there a mix and match head/block combo?"

As near as I can determine, any head will work on any block, but not a simple "throw it on and bolt it down" type of operation. Many details involved. The killer combo would involve putting the 2.5 head (flows like crazy) on the block of your choice. The 2.5 is big bore and longer stroke but has a rod angularity problem that limits it to less than 7000 rpm. Still, I can rev to 80 mph in third (6500 rpm).

There is quite a bit of talk about the 2.5 cams. The intake cam is computer controlled variable. Initially, the word was the engine was a turd when run without the variable feature. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It is a beast, the variable cam mostly cleans up emissions.

Also beside the transmission what is the advantage of the ranger engine?"
Well, first of all, the Ranger transmission will work with any block. Simply use the Ranger flywheel, starter and clutch package. Other than that, it seems the Ranger engine and block starts life better suited to high HP modification and use. For what your talking about, it has little to offer over it brothers.

"They all have that weird rear coolant passage at the rear."
Yes, dammit!

"Would a FWD oil pan fit around the Alpine cross member easier?"
My first Duratec engine was a Ranger, the second is a Fusion. Neither fit around the crossmember. The problem is the location of the oil pump and there isn't a thing you can do about that. A problem with the fwd pans is they are angled on the bottom to be level when installed in the car. That makes them angled the wrong waywhen installed in my car. As a result, they are too low when installed, even though they are not that deep. The Ranger pan is just too deep. The Ecoboost fwd pans are angled in the opposite direction, so they would be the best solution for me. Whether or not they would be best for you would depend on if you set the engine leaned over. Mine is at about a 3* angle. The "word" on the 'net is that any pan will fit any engine, as long as the oil pickup tube that goes with a given pan is used.

"I am set up with a T5 already so I would be inclined to get the Quad4rods bell housing to mate to the engine."

You will still have to use the stock starter, it bolts onto the block and is a major PIA, as it positions the solenoid at 90 * to the block, which places it smack into the steering arms. I canted my starter over against the block and one steering arm barely clears below it, the other barely clears over the top. Tight - Oh Yeah!

I have seen a custom made starter that does what I did, but a better job, naturally. Can't remember who had it - I think it was across the Pond.

The Ranger trans requires tunnel surgery, don't know how it compare to that required for the T5. The Ranger box places the shifter too far forward. I made a remote shifter that solved the problem. A very easy and undetectable fix. If you do use the Ranger box, all driveline components are factory stock and the Alpine clutch MC is compatible with the Ranger slave.

Al, I trust you have looked at my Duratec engine swap ramblings. Let me say they are simply a way that I saw that I could get the job done, given my resources, needs and abilities. The problem areas I encountered are real, how you solve them may be totally different. A couple of examples:

I knew we wanted AC. Where to put it? Where is the room? How do I get lines to and from it? What does that do to the alternator location?

Alternator. I saw heat and the header as the problem. I am not a gifted fabricator, especially twisting things around in three dimension in limited space. So fancy headers were out and I was practically forced into the solution I used. You will likely see the issue differently and come up with a better solution.

Speaking of solutions, I think a fellow more inclined to body work (I think machinist type solutions) would look at the water outlet issue and say, "I'll just relieve the firewall here and solve a bunch of problems." That would probably allow the engine to be set back about an inch and vastly releive the crossmember/oil pan issue.

If I can be of any help, let me know. While it is neat to have the only Duratec engined Alpine in the world, it is a terrific combo (heck, nobody will even reveal their 20-80 time) and I'd love to see someone turn it into a project many others could follow. I'll help all I can.

Bill

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Starter

Al, the starter issue has been bugging me. I finally found it (almost "it", but better!). It looks like a Mazda MPV 2.5 starter is it. Do not know if it will fit. It appears the Duratec starters are flywheel dependant, not engine block. I have no idea how the Mazda flywheels correspond to the Ranger flywheel. It appears the starter differences are in the pinion gear, not the case. If so, it would be a simple change out. But I have no way of knowing.

Consider it a good lead to solving a major problem.

I tried to copy a photo of the starter but couldn't. What - I couldn't do a simple computer operation?

Yes. So what else is new?

Bill

alsalp

Donation Time
Bill
Lots of good research !
You are defiantly blazing a trail for others to follow (or at least test the application )

As far as the coolant elbow in the back I would shy away from modding the firewall since my car is painted
I would be confident with machining or fabricating an elbow

What would be helpful is to see are pictures that show the clearance back there as well as the clearance around the steering and the final motor mounts

Another thing I wonder about is the intake side
I know in England they adapt motorcycle throttle bodies
Do you think there is room ?

All your efforts and help is much appreciated,
Al

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill
Lots of good research !
You are defiantly blazing a trail for others to follow (or at least test the application )

As far as the coolant elbow in the back I would shy away from modding the firewall since my car is painted
I would be confident with machining or fabricating an elbow

What would be helpful is to see are pictures that show the clearance back there as well as the clearance around the steering and the final motor mounts

Another thing I wonder about is the intake side
I know in England they adapt motorcycle throttle bodies
Do you think there is room ?

All your efforts and help is much appreciated,
Al
I understand your concern about modding the firewall. However, it would give you much needed clearance in several areas. Right now, there is none (well, maybe 1/4", maybe less) between the firewall and outlet. Maybe consider cutting hole and fabbing a beautacious stainless steel cubby to cover the ugliness.

I never gave multiple throttle bodies any thought. I knew nothing about them when this project started and I knew a little less than squat about EFI. But finding room for them would be tough. I have very little clearance for the manifold.

Pictures will follow. Right now my time is booked pretty solid. But I think I have given you some things to think about for a while.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here are the photos. Some tough pictures to take without studio lighting!

This the rear water outlet. The green wire goes to the coolant sensor, which is screwed into the water outlet. The gap between the outlet and firewall is exactly on ordinary office pencil width, between the flats. The engine is set so the driveshaft yoke has about 1/4" clearance at the bottom of the tunnel. The engine is set so the is uphill at about 3 degrees. The outlet is fabricated from flat steel. The exit pipe (seen to the left) is steel exhaust pipe. The thing works fine, so upon teardown I coated the inside with POR 15 gas tank sealant to stop rust.

Pic of clearance between the intake manifold (vertical turquoise pipe) and the M/C, which is the same width as the reservoir. There is 1 3/8" clearance between them. Just enough that I can remove the manifold without disturbing the MC. The distance between the head and MC is 5 3/4". Will that clear throttle bodies? It's for sure I don't know.

Starter solenoid and steering arm. I think this pic is pretty obvious. Barrel shaped solenoid with the steering arm (black with white mark) to the right. Clearance at full right lock is about 3/16".

This one is pretty tough. Solenoid (of course) with the steering arm under it. The steering arm is the fuzzy black thing that is almost at right angle to the 'noid. It is tough to measure these two clearances, usually revert to using at hand thickness gauges. The amount of clearance is not important, as long as there is some. But it can get away from you as the engine layover angle is changed, as well as the motor and transmission mount height. So it can change quite a bit while your changing other things.

Not quite sure what you want to see with the motor mounts. The clearance with them installed or their final design?

Bill

alsalp

Donation Time
Yes, the final installed motor mounts would be great
thank you so much.

Also how much hp do you think the balance shaft consumes?
Would you rather have smoothness or extra ponies?

Al

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

Here is the right side mount. The rubber doughnut is setting on the crossmember. Pretty straight forward.

Left side. Things got a little tight. I put the alternator on the extreme lower left side of the engine, which created a space issue for the motor mount. I addressed the problem with a small piece of 3/16" plate with two 7/16" holes, drilled about 3" apart. One is bolted to the crossmember, you can see the fuzzy golden bolthead holding the black plate in place. The motor mount bolt goes through the other hole. I reinforced the edge of the crossmember to support the steel plate, which is hanging over the crossmember. The plate is free to rotate around the bolt that secures it until the bolt is tightened. It works fine. The engine is firmly located by the transmission and right side motor mount. All the left side needs is support. These are the kinds of issues that appear/disappear, depending on the particular installation.

I have no idea how much hp the balance shafts consume. While the 2.5 offers better performance than the 2.3, there are too many differences in tune (cams and intake) to make any kind of guess.

As to whether the smoothness is worth the lost hp, that will depend on your use of the car and your expectations. I am 73, my wife 65. We use the Alpine for long trips, 600 mile days are not unusual. We would never consider going back to the 2.3. It makes that much difference. If you appreciate the smoothness of the V6 over the Alpine four banger, don't even think about putting an even bigger thumper in your car.

Bill

alsalp

Donation Time
I would probably go with a more refined version. Now I just need to fine right power plant for me and give it a go.:)

One last question. I saw in your R&D threads that you cut into the cross member during the initial fitting. That was a sacrificial part wasn't it? Did you just end up setting the mounts on top of the final member with the Alpine mount towers removed?

Al

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would probably go with a more refined version. Now I just need to fine right power plant for me and give it a go.:)

One last question. I saw in your R&D threads that you cut into the cross member during the initial fitting. That was a sacrificial part wasn't it? Did you just end up setting the mounts on top of the final member with the Alpine mount towers removed?

Al

Al, not quite sure I'm following you, so try to mine this for what you can use and don't read anything into it. In fact, don't read too deeply into anything I say, I try to be upfront and precise, although I'm afraid I usually fail on the "precise" criteria.

My initial installation was in a rusty parts car and the crossmember got hacked up pretty good. The cut required for the final installation was quite a bit smaller, but deeper. Never touched the towers of either crossmember. The final notch is deep enough that it almost touches the bolts that hold the lower "A" arm in place. The final notch goes a bit forward too far.

This is the final notch, I think it could have been a simple cut, not pocket.
The mounts are nuts that I made. Looking at the photo, I see the motor mount has not been welded in place, so that means the final cut is about 1/4" deeper than in the photo.

Here is photo of the motor mount bracket and attachment nut. The nut is upside down. This was down while trying to determine final engine location. That allowed good vertical placement and ensured there would be room on the crossmember for the "nut".

Here is a good "in build" shot of the left side mount. This the final location/configuration. But the bolt in the photo is only 3/8", later went to 7/16". The car is the parts car, so the cutout is larger than necessary.

Hodee

Donation Time
I did not time myself but was able to go from 20-80 in a single gear. 4th Gear of course with 225/60/15 rear tires. I thought I had a 3.89 gear but my ratio chart of rpm/mph makes me think 4.22. I'll do the "rotation test" tomorrow. What are the chances of SerV late #17343 having 3.89?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I did not time myself but was able to go from 20-80 in a single gear. 4th Gear of course with 225/60/15 rear tires. I thought I had a 3.89 gear but my ratio chart of rpm/mph makes me think 4.22. I'll do the "rotation test" tomorrow. What are the chances of SerV late #17343 having 3.89?

Hodee,

IIRC, most North American series V Alpines were delivered with 4.22:1 as standard equipment - both OD and non OD. Chrysler's attempt to keep a performance image for the Alpine. Unless someone has swapped rear gears in some manner, your car probably does have 4.22:1.

HTH