• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2 days of searching for Capri Calipers - can't find a source

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Having finished the install of my master cylinder and the failed wheel cylinder, I found the pistons in the front calipers are stuck. If the rest of the car is any indication, it is probably due to surface rust. I'll remove them this weekend and see if it is an easy fix with a rebuild kit.

I did find Apple Hydraulics with rebuild my calipers for $230 + tax and shipping, so I have a solution.

My number one choice would be to replace the calipers with ,$40 new/rebuilt Capri calipers. I feel comfortable making the necessary modifications on the Capri calipers, but I cannot find anyone that carries these calipers. Anyone have a secret source?

Cardone 19-244 & 19-245
Raybestos RC3003 & RC3004
Centric 142.61101 & 142.61102

65beam

Donation Time
Rock Auto did have the Capri calipers but I bought everything they had. What series do you have?

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Good lead. They list the rears, which I have, but not the front. I’ll call them tomorrow.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The Capri calipers are disapearing like the Alpine ones. Has anyone tried adapting the similar Datsun Z or TR6 calipers? 3 1/2" mounting instead of 3 1/4" like Series 4 and series 5 Alpine. The mounting holes would only have to be slotted in 1/8" each, Volvo 4 piston calipers are 3" and Toyota 4 piston are 3 1/2".

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
The Capri calipers are the same bolt pattern as series 4 and 5 but some require mods to get them to fit over the rotor due to the thickness of the pad and rotor. There is a stepped area at the bottom of the caliper that won't allow new pads to be used. This needs filed off. Early Alpine calipers are a different bolt pattern from the late ones.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the leads.

Sunbeam Specialties, pointed me to Apple Hydraulics.

They said they can "rebuild any Girling caliper". Cost: $115 each, 1 week turnaround, $14 shipping.

I'm going to take them off this weekend and if I can get the wheel piston out without too much angst, I may try a rebuild kit, but most likely I will send them to Apple, unless one of the above leads works out better.

CRBASIN

Donation Time
Rebuilding calipers isn't that hard, even with stuck pistons. Check out my blog post explaining how I did it. In hindsight, I would have gone to the grease method sooner...

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks everyone. I have so much to tackle on this project, I decided to choose my battles and sent them to Apple Hydraulics for a rebuild.