• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.9 valves

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
The suggestion for the 2.8 is to install 2.9 valves.
are the 2.9 valves too large to use with the 2.8 seats ?
A lot of discussion on installing larger valves with existing seats is on various forums throughout the internet.
Any one with experience with this ?
No doubt a lot of geometry and flow designs would be involved.
Thanks Bob

kmathis

Donation Time
2.9 valves are the way to go, the whole issue with the 2.8 heads is breathing. with the 2.9 valves and seats you can really feel the difference in the power band. New seats and new valves and your machine shop shouldn't have any issues. I think the 2.9 valves are marginally taller or shorter than the 2.8 valves but not enough to make a difference. I ported and polished mine as well. there are a number of cams available for the 2.8 as well...but that can awaken all kinds of controversy.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Kelly, seems reasonable that the larger valve would need a larger seat. Though there is suggestion that the 2.8 seat can be machined to suit.
Having a hard time wrapping my head around how a larger valve would be of any benefit if the seat and port diameters aren't enlarged to acomadate.
Bob

sd_pace

Donation Time
when the 2.9 seat are cut there is a lot of excess that needs to be cleaned out to open the throat . I had the machinist cut the holes first so I could grind them out, then took it back to have the seats put in. just dont go to deep and hit the water jacket

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a 2.8 engine in my #2 Alpine.
I had my matching shop put the crank from a 2.9L and the valves into my 2.8L

It has been about 8 years since the work was done and I have been stalled on the project since, so I have not run the engine yet but this year it will run.

So yes you can put 2.9L valves into a 2.8L according to my machine shop.