• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 V6 installs

gordonra

Donation Time
What fuel delivery systems are being used on the Ford 2.8 installs?

What carbs are used?
Are there stock fuel injection an options without cutting the bonnet?

If a guy uses a Ranger or Bronco 2.8, what are the specific components that must be used from the Mustang? I think that I've read the timing cover and the crank pulley... anything else?

The exhaust must use the custom header set instead of stock exhaust manifolds in order to clear the steering, correct?

Alternator from what installation?

Is there a preferred Ignition/distributor, and from what years?

If a guy uses a Ranger/Bronco engine, what years?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rich,

The two carbs used are the stock two barrels. The Holley Webber progressive and the Motorcraft. The other carb used is the Holley 390 cfm four barrel, but you'll need an Offenhouser manifold to fit it.

The stock fuel pump can be used, but it would be burried way down under the alternator and is a $@*%& to change. I recommend using a Holley red or an aeroquip pump. They are reliable and not too expensive.

You need the timing cover, water pump and the water pump pulley from the earlier engines (Mustang II/Capri/CapriII).

You need a custom set of headers, or you will need to place the engine pretty high, which will neccitate the use of a big hood scoop and worst, it will upset the balance of the car, so you won't be able to corner very well.

The alternator bracket with the kit, will fit three different size Delco remy alternators.

Any of the ranger/Bronco II engines will work. They are all the same. The electronic distributor that comes with the ranger engine will work great, so you don't need to look for a special distributor.

Jose

What fuel delivery systems are being used on the Ford 2.8 installs?

What carbs are used?
Are there stock fuel injection an options without cutting the bonnet?

If a guy uses a Ranger or Bronco 2.8, what are the specific components that must be used from the Mustang? I think that I've read the timing cover and the crank pulley... anything else?

The exhaust must use the custom header set instead of stock exhaust manifolds in order to clear the steering, correct?

Alternator from what installation?

Is there a preferred Ignition/distributor, and from what years?

If a guy uses a Ranger/Bronco engine, what years?

gordonra

Donation Time
Thanks guys...

My "other car" is a 99 Ranger with the 3.0 Fuel Injected. It's also a 60° engine, but I have no idea about any other similarities to the 2.8L. I was wondering if it was built around the same block, and might bolt up.

Is there any chance that a 3.0 would work? The crank pulley appears quite long...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The 3.0 shares nothing with the 2.8. or any other Ford V6. I have read the Ranger 3.0 has the same bell housing pattern as the SOHC 2.3, but do not know that for a fact. I do know the 3.0 fwd engine does not have the two bolts located high on the block, but the rwd version does. I have no idea what the fwd bell housing pattern would fit. The Ranger 5 speed that bolts onto the 3.0 is a decent transmission, but will not work with Jose's transmission mount.

I have never heard of anyone trying to put a 3.0 into an Alpine, although it has been mentioned many times. I suspect it will have the same exhaust manifold clearance problems as the 60 degree GM 2.8-3.4 engines. It may also have a problem with the intake manifold being too high, but it may be no higher than a carb with air filter attached.

Bill

craigb

Donation Time
Fuel pump replacement cover..

Jose, if you replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one, what do you recommend to use to cover the hole where the old fuel pump was? Is there plate to cover it available, or do I make my own?

Craig

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Craig,

You have to make your own as no one makes one for the 2.8 V6. All you need to do is use a fuel pump gasket as a pattern and make one from aluminum.

Rich,

The 3.0 has evenly spaced exhaust ports, which interfere with the steering arm on the driver's side. It will not fit my headers either. The 2.8 is the only V6 that will fit without changing the steering. Too much work and money, and not worth it, as far as I'm concerned.

Jose

Jose, if you replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one, what do you recommend to use to cover the hole where the old fuel pump was? Is there plate to cover it available, or do I make my own?

Craig