• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 V6 Fan

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
074EC86D-A56B-4997-88EC-A49A533666AF.jpeg I’ve been pondering what approach to take with regard to the radiator fan for my V6 conversion project and come across this one. It’s from JEGS.... part # 17013...part of their heavy duty stainless flex fan line up...it’s 13” in diameter and has a 2”depth. It clears the water pump inlet fitting nicely. Once we get the engine into the car for mock-up purposes we can determine what size of spacer, if any, will be needed to obtain the best position between the engine and radiator.

It is not an outrageously expensive part...about $45 and bolts right on with no adapters. I know a number of folks have been going with the Volvo fan alternative but since this didn’t require any cutting or modifying of the fan itself I thought it to be a bit more straight forward.

Of course, the proof in the pudding will be if it adequately cools but with a new custom radiator, hopefully there won’t be any issues.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You might need to construct a shroud in order to utilize all of the radiator surface area. But that fan should be adequate.
Bill

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
The shroud is a given...I guess I should have mentioned that...I'll have that built along with the radiator.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
An electric fan was my original thought but a mechanical one is cheaper and easier.
I have found they are also more effective, unless you use a monster electric fan that draws 40-50 amps. But if you have room for one of them, you have room for a mechanical fan. The mechanical fans only downside is the constant power drain. That can be mitigated with a viscous drive, but that takes space which you probably do not have.
Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
We're using an electric fan, 16"diameter on the V8 , no shroud, runs at 180 degrees, draws about 30 amps so far we've not needed a relay. I do have a double pass alloy rad.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It’s from JEGS.... part # 17013...part of their heavy duty stainless flex fan line up...it’s 13” in diameter and has a 2”depth.

Bill E I found the listing for the 13" fan.... But had to add the full part number as: 259-17013. It is a Derale manufactured fan made in the USA. Has a depth of 2 and 3/16" Cost $44.00

Also found another 13" with depth of 2 and 1/8" Part Number 259-17213 Price is up to $72.00

The depth difference may could be critical in some cases.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I also looked at the #17213 fan....decided to go with the other primarily due to the price. I don’t know if the 1/16” of depth difference will be enough to be critical but we’ll see...won’t know for sure until I get the radiator specs finalized...

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
One aspect I recently heard about is that with a mechanical fan without the clutch, will actually decrease airflow since it spins to slow at speed.
Has anyone else heard of this phenomena?

Bruce

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
One aspect I recently heard about is that with a mechanical fan without the clutch, will actually decrease airflow since it spins to slow at speed.
Has anyone else heard of this phenomena?

Bruce
No, and I do not believe it. They do not spin slowly. About 1 1/2 times engine speed. At speed, say 3,000 rpm's, that translates into 4500 R's.
Bill