• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 question

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Setting the valve lash in my reman 2.8, I used a socket wrench to turn the lower pulley around to the 3 positions (actually six since two full rotations of the crank are needed to set lash). The engine hasn't been run yet; its only mod is the Offy manifold, slightly ported heads, and a Crane cam. Question is, how hard should it be to turn the engine with the wrench? It certainly doesn't turn freely, though it's not especially hard to turn either. This is with no spark plugs in the block. This engine is the only one I've ever worked on. Before I continue I need some advice. I'd hate to have to remove that front cover again and check everything. As far as I know, I followed the manuals closely in installing the new cam and the MII front cover. I also primed the oil pump with a long socket bit as Jose suggested.

Or should the valve lash be adjusted with the plugs in the block?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sounds about right. New rings are pretty draggy and it should not spin freely. It should turn smoothly with no hard spots.

As to setting valve lash, plugs should not make a difference.

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
Sam what your feelig is normal. Mine felt the same. Glad to see your making progress.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Jim E

Donation Time
Not to scare you but you do not want rotate a fresh assembled engine a bunch because it can dry/rub out the assembly oil in the bores. A valve adjust and getting it on number one is not a problem but do not keep seeing how it feels to turn.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Gotcha, Jim. I've turned it maybe a total of 10 times, just to adjust valves. And this was after priming the oil pump. Not much progress, Dwain, but cooler weather approaches. Wish I had your garage space.

Sam

britbeam

Donation Time
Gotcha, Jim. I've turned it maybe a total of 10 times, just to adjust valves. And this was after priming the oil pump. Not much progress, Dwain, but cooler weather approaches. Wish I had your garage space.

Sam

Wish I had my garage space but looks like that the SV will be going to a nea owner before long. Then theres the new project sport bike making progress slowly.The shop kinda filled up since you saw it. LOL
Dwain