• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 bellhouseing

sd_pace

Donation Time
is there a difference in bellhousing between the mustangII and broncoII?
i cant find a reference

thanks

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Steve,

I answered your PM, and said they were not interchangeable. The Ranger transmission is not suitable for the V6 conversion, because of the gear ratios. It is a truck transmission and as such, can not be expected to perform well in a sport's car. It also presents problems with hooking up the hydraulic throw out bearing, because you must use the Ranger master cylinder. The master cylinder is mounted sideways in the Ranger, and the master cyounder needs to be mounted straight forward. A special bracket needs to be fabricated in order to mount it as it needs to be.

Jose :)

sd_pace

Donation Time
I just have a bellhousing, the clutch is hydrolic and is in the same direction as the starter that mounts above it... but in the opposit direction also the clutch, throw ber and fly are there my question is will a t-5 mount to that bellhousing

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve,

I answered your PM, and said they were not interchangeable. The Ranger transmission is not suitable for the V6 conversion, because of the gear ratios. It is a truck transmission and as such, can not be expected to perform well in a sport's car. It also presents problems with hooking up the hydraulic throw out bearing, because you must use the Ranger master cylinder. The master cylinder is mounted sideways in the Ranger, and the master cyounder needs to be mounted straight forward. A special bracket needs to be fabricated in order to mount it as it needs to be.

Jose, I'll say it again: The M5R1 ratios are good. They are :
This is the transmission usually found in Ranger 4's and small V6's from 88 up. You do not have to use the Ranger clutch master cylinder. 3/16" pressure hose will work with a little rigging. Physically, it is a pretty large transmission and presents some installation "opportunities". Tunnel needs to be widened and the gearshift location is forward of the standard Alpine. How it performs in a sports car is unknown to me at this time.

The old TK 5 is a different matter. This is the most popular 5 speed used up to 87. It has bad ratios, weak first and second gear syncros and a funky shift pattern.

Yeah, I know, I have never ridden in a V6, but facts is facts.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just have a bellhousing, the clutch is hydrolic and is in the same direction as the starter that mounts above it... but in the opposit direction also the clutch, throw ber and fly are there my question is will a t-5 mount to that bellhousing

This sounds like the bellhousing used on the TK transmission from 82-84. It will not fit the T5 and you do not want to use a TK5.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! I just knew I'd get a response from you on this.:D You may end up liking the Ranger transmission for your Alpine, but in my experience, (and a few others), The Ranger transmission isn't the best one to use. The four cylinder Turbo Coupe transmission, was what I used to recommend at one time too, but it is now the next to last choice for the conversion, because of the gear rations it has. The only transmission that is worse, is the Mustang II four speed.

I guess we'll know what you think of the Ranger transmission after you put some miles on that combination.

sd_pace

Donation Time
with the complete bell clutch and slave w/flywheel... i wonder if i could mount that t-5 up straight to the one i have (a 86 broncoII bellhousing, the slave is in the right direction).. Im thinking if it didnt fit... an adapter could be made... but i dont have the t-5 yet so...i dont know if the shaft is longer or shorter... and if the bell was deeper or not ....... (also i am talking about using a mustang t-5 form a 3.8)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ford never put a T5 in the Bronco. So your bell housing is either for a TK or FM 145. Chances of it bolting to a T5 are slim and none. Adapting, who knows? Might work, but your blazing new territory.

Jose, yes I will find out if the M5R1 is a good choice for the Alpine. At a minimum, I think it will be very usable. Depends on the shifting characteristics.

Why do you insist on spreading bad info about it? The transmission you refer to as "the Ranger transmission" is the TK5. Believe me, a totally different gearbox.

Bill

sd_pace

Donation Time
thanks Bill
i think i see what jose was saying is the throwout and arm is at 90 degrees and problee wont work.... my self never seeing a mustangII bellhousing dont know what my not fit.... but with the slim numbers of parts out there.... some experiments are enevitable... yet i am in the market for a bellhousing anyway

jose you are my hero!

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mustang II bell housing

SD, in looking for parts for the conversion I happened across 2 bell housings. Obviously I don;t need but one but I couldn't leave it w/ it's owner who would never use it or maybe trash it. Pm me if you are interested. By the way, it has never been used, as in new.
Thanks

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Bronco bellhousing

Hi Steve
Yes you can use the bellhouising from a Bronco . You will need a adapter as you said the master cylinder from a sunbeam brakes can be adapted to it using the stock slave cylinder and hose have a machinist make an adapter (take him the slave & hose and a brake line that fits the master cylinder)
Make the adapter plate out of 1/2 " plate and then turn it down to 3/8 with a 1/8 lip that goes through the hole in the bellhousing ( the center ) thread mouting holes and add a locking nut on each
It can be done I did it 27 years ago . it was also done by Bill Stroppe on his BaaHaa ranger in 1984 .

Dan

sd_pace

Donation Time
thanks mr. bulldurham.. i pm'd you... just let me know what you need
there are lotz i will need as this project moves forward

sd_pace

Donation Time
thanks dan

if that is possible... it would save a lot of time and money... is the pilot shaft long enought and do you think the spline fron the t-5 would match... if so then will it fit under the tunnel the same as the mustang bell?
steve:rolleyes:

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Steve it will not save you money it is easyier to buy the parts from Joes kit You will need the input adapter from joes kit unless you want to lenghten the imput shaft (they don,t make a longer one at borgwarner and a gain you will need a machinest It can get PRICEY .I did my conversion before i ever heard of V6 joe Na I had a bunch of friends that where machinests. The spline on the t5 is 1 1/16 x 10 on a mustang v8 T5 so that is the same as the 2.8 v 6

Dan

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
You're right Dan. It would cost a whole lot more and would be a patch job. If the Mutt II bellhousings were totally not available, then I would be the firse one to say, make an adapter.

There is nothing simpler than using the Mutt II bellhousing, because you just have to bolt it up. You don't know what gremlins you will encounter when trying something new.

Bill,

The biggest gripe I had about the Ranger transmission, was probably an early one, was the gear ratios inside were not ideal for what I wanted for my Alpine. It also was noisier than a T5.

Jose:)

sd_pace

Donation Time
with all said i will continue to gather part... didnt someone find the clutch from an online company... and that leave me with a flywheel to find ....
but i agree that i should stay on the proven path

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Hi Bill
I know it came on the 85 Bronco I got it new from Ford but an auto wrecker paid for it because they sent Me a used 1 that was broken so they ordered Me a new one and it was no charge

Joe it is a proven part never given me a problem and the fact that i saw the same type setup on the race truck of Bill Stroppe put my mind at ease the only thing I wish I had seen or been able to buy is your input adapter . I had to cut the input shaft make a new spline and weld it back togeather and aneal it if i had had to pay for all that to be done I would be driving a Chev. Your set up is cheaper but takes up more space then mine AND if some one has done all the planning and made the parts that work at a cheaper price USE THEM . BUY > THEM>ENJOY THEM it only makes sense . When i did my car I hadn,t heard of you or this site Hey when I bought the motor I thought it was like all other fords and the distributor was in the front go figure

Dan