• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 Availability

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Up to what year production was the 2.8 offered?
Just wondering if any "newer" Ford V6's are usable?
Obviously Jose's kit makes the 2.8 the nice choice, just wondering about availability of the components as of late, clutches, tranny's and such.
Next to my shop I had an "auto re-cycler" move in and while he's turning my parking lot into a disaster, he does let me have whatever I want.
Just looking for down the road project planning before the EPA catches up with this guy!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jeff, unless you are willing to engineer a way around the steering arm/exhaust issue (may not be possible), the Ford 2.8 is not a "nice" choice, it is the ONLY choice. As far as I know, the 3.0 "Vulcan", found in the Ranger and Taurus, is the only later V6 Ford that has a chance. I don't think anyone has tried this engine, but it probably will have exhaust issues, the same as the Chevy V6. All the others are total non starters due to size.

Bill

Jim E

Donation Time
Pretty sure it was 1985 for the Ranger/Bronco II line then they went to the 2.9 could be some over lap into 1986 for the 2.8 then it also came in the van. Not sure what years that combination was offered. Oh and for one perhaps two years you could get the 2.8 in the fox body Mustangs there right when they first came out.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
That's what I figured.
Just thought maybe the same block/exhaust dimensions might have been used on something newer so we could keep this Dark Side thing going for another 20-30 years!
I think I'll see if the scraper will give me any and all 2.8 type drivetrains.
Jim and Jose, if you could give me ALL makes and models that the 2.8 were in, and also whatever makes and models I should get the tranny's from I'll give them the list and start collecting.
There's a really LOW mileage T-bird with a turbo V-6 for the taking so I just thought I might get lucky.
Also, what were the 5-speed tranhy's coming from? If I recall it was a Toyota of some model (for the 5 speed conversion behind the original motors)
Figure if I can get this stuff for nothing or close to it I might as well take advantage now!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jeff,

The 2.8 Ford V6 came in the 1974-1978 Capri and Capri II's.

1974-1978 Mustang II's and some 1979 Mustang Fox body's.

I983-1985 Ranger and Bronco II's.

Some 1983-1985 Ford Aerostars'.

Some Pinto wagons came with a V6 and automatic. Years 1974-1978.

Transmissions:

In order of desireability.

T5 five speed from a 1996 and later Mustang, with the 3.8 V6.

T5 from a V8 Mustang, years 1985 and later. Most will need rebuilding, because of lots of miles and abuse.

T54 five speed from a Turbo Coupe Thunderbird. This transmission isn't as desireable, because the gearing is very low in first gear and second gear is pretty clost to first. There is a big jump to third, and the overdrive is only about 19 percent over. The SVO Mustang had almost the same transmission, except it had a 21 percent overdrive.

The only bellhousing that makes any of these transmissions a bolt up operation, is the one from a Mustang II with the four sppeed, years 1974-1978.

The correct drive shaft is from a 1983-1986 Thunderbird, with the 3.8 V6 and automatic. It is smaller in diameter, so will fit your Alpine's narrow drive shaft tunnel.

Jose:)

Jim E

Donation Time
My drive shaft guy made one up for me from a stock Alpine shaft by using a different yoke on the transmission end. Just tossing that in as an option.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
My drive shaft guy made one up for me from a stock Alpine shaft by using a different yoke on the transmission end. Just tossing that in as an option.
Hi Jim,

The reason I didn't mention the stock Alpine shaft, is because the Alpine U-joint is small and if you drive it hard, it will wear out pretty quickly. I guess I should say "Drag Racing", instead of just driving it hard. The hard acceleration with sudden jolts as you go through the gears, will make short work of it. If the car is driven rationally, it should lasd a bit longer. I used to have to replace them about every six to eight months, in my first Alpine:D

Jim E

Donation Time
I hear you Jose think the U-joint is making a noise now... that or the spider gears are giving up...

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I hear you Jose think the U-joint is making a noise now... that or the spider gears are giving up...
Hi Jim,

The spider gears aren't that weak, but the U-joint is. I forgot to mention, that if you are going to use the stock rear end, you will have to use the rear yoke from the Alpine shaft. I think it will last pretty well, as long as you aren't hammering it all the time, but it is the reason I suggest going with the Ford 8" rear end, for those who have the V6 power.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time

I would say the best way to go is a ford shaft .A good shop will cut, add yokes and balance it.Yes it is a bit tight but enough clearance is there.
Ford u joints are cheap and easy to buy nearly anywhere.

Jim
I do think with the 200 HPs you do need the 8 inch rear end.Trust me it is like bullet proof.Pay for reliabilty now and forget about worrying.

bluoval

Donation Time
2.8 avialability

does anyone know the diamiter of the tbird drive shaft ? picked one up at the local junk yard and it seems a little fat for the tunnel . thanks earl bluoval

Jim E

Donation Time
I hear you Earl, I have one laying out back and do not see how it could work in my car with the stock rear end. Think it would foul the tunnel due to the off set of the Alpine rear end, now if the rear was centered up in the tunnel I could see it working.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I recommend putting the pinion in the middle of the car, so you won't get into tunnel interference. The Alpine had it ofset to one side, but I have found that it isn't necessary.