• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.6 vs 2.8

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I'm sure we've covered this before but how do you tell the difference between a 2.6 and 2.8? :confused:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

If it has only two exhaust ports, it is a 2.6. The 2.6 had siamesed exhaust ports, where two cylinders exhausted through just one port. The 2.8 has three individual exhaust ports, although the two that were siamesed on the 2.6, are now individual, but still next to each other.

Jose:)

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

If it has only two exhaust ports, it is a 2.6. The 2.6 had siamesed exhaust ports, where two cylinders exhausted through just one port. The 2.8 has three individual exhaust ports, although the two that were siamesed on the 2.6, are now individual, but still next to each other.
Jose:)

You don't want the 2.6.Not that it is a bad engine or anything like that.Idid 177000 miles on my 2.6 alpine.It is just too expensive for parts.Pistons can run 800.Thats with no rings.Gasket set is 150 and maybe a bit more now.Forgot how much valves and springs were worth.It was going to run about 3200 to 3500 maybe just to rebuild.
My modified 302 long block with the good stuff was 3800.