• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1st drive

miket

Donation Time
I finally ventured more than 15 minutes from home today. Our local MG club took our annual "Fall Colors Tour". But I brought the Sunbeam. We meet just west of Montreal, take a ferry across the Lake of Two Mountains to Oka (where the cheese comes from), then continue up to the Laurentians

How to make a 63 year old feel like 21 again.

(The top didn't fold properly and I didn't want to force it with it being rather cool)

Attachments

• MG_tour_Oct08.jpg
    MG_tour_Oct08.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 80

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Any chance that's a new softtop that was installed incorrectly with the side flaps attached to the body? If so, it won't stow.

I finally ventured more than 15 minutes from home today. Our local MG club took our annual "Fall Colors Tour". But I brought the Sunbeam. We meet just west of Montreal, take a ferry across the Lake of Two Mountains to Oka (where the cheese comes from), then continue up to the Laurentians

How to make a 63 year old feel like 21 again.

(The top didn't fold properly and I didn't want to force it with it being rather cool)

norville

Donation Time
Any chance that's a new softtop that was installed incorrectly with the side flaps attached to the body? If so, it won't stow.

could you elaborate? I'm pretty shure my top is all wrong..

thanks,

Oh, and Miket very nice ride. I love the rear emblem.

bob

miket

Donation Time
RR,
Yes my top is attached to the body at at the sides. The top doesn't fold easily into the pocket. But to add insult to injury, when I was trying to fold it in yesterday, the side rail fell onto the vinyl window and punctured it.

The top has shrunk, and the rear window "was" impossible to see through, so I guess the right thing to do is to invest in a new top in the spring.

I must admit, when I was at Stowe two weeks ago a fellow with a Tiger was showing me how easily his top stows and I was quite envious. And a new top surely adds to the overall appearance of the car.

Cheers,
Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob,

The top should be attached to the body by the metal strip across the back, that continues part way forward on the sides. But the two short metal strips on either side should NOT hold the top fabric.

Tom

miket

Donation Time
Thanks fro the information fellows. I'll remove them before Itry to put the top down again.

chris

Donation Time
I know a lot of people have problems with their soft top installation. Does anyone have photos they can post of the correct soft top inside attachment?

miket

Donation Time
Bob,

I found a video on youtube that shows the an inside view. search "Sunbeam top" and you'll see it.

Mike

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
MikeT, Only one problem with the picture you posted. The Alpine should be in
front .. . of the Elva and the MGB!
Cheers!
Steve

Jim E

Donation Time
Not sure Rootes could have made the top any harder to stow, when doing it by yur self requires multipe walkes side to side of the car. Now Alfa has my kind of soft to stow!!!! If you have never seen how Alfa tops stow next time you are around one ask the owner to show you how it works, but don't blink.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure Rootes could have made the top any harder to stow, when doing it by yur self requires multipe walkes side to side of the car.

Is it harder than the MGB top? Putting it down and stowing it is a 20 minute ritual, that if done incorrectly results in a creased or ruined backlite or torn top.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure Rootes could have made the top any harder to stow, when doing it by yur self requires multipe walkes side to side of the car. Now Alfa has my kind of soft to stow!!!! If you have never seen how Alfa tops stow next time you are around one ask the owner to show you how it works, but don't blink.

It is hard to believe no one has ever come up with an improvement on the original; there are so many better ways to fold a top then the one Rootes designed. I've seen alternative engines, transmissions, brakes, suspensions, interiors and exteriors, but no improvements on the convertible top design. Hell, I have even seen an Alpine with Mercedes headlights and hingless, automatically opening doors and trunk lid, but even that car still had the original ragtop! Come on guys. This is the Modified Forum and the group is populated by some incredibly inventive people. Surely one of you can figure out something better?

norville

Donation Time
I wish I paid better attention to the first 62 I looked at. I did not see it with the top up but the owner stated that he modified his top to be a "place on" He did not have his top attached to the frame. He had lift snaps and velcro attaching to the front and body. He would then fold and stow the top in the trunk. He was an TR3-4 guy and austin martin enthusiast.

bob

miket

Donation Time
I don't see it as being so hard, but it is different to the MG's. Actually I hate the frame on my MGA. It is very ticky to unfold as one side never wants to follow the other.

I helped an MGB member on Saturday and it did take two of us.

The concept is very different. it is basically a "place on" The rear end has a metal flat bar which has to be slid under two clips. The header is more or less the same.

The main difference is that the Sunbream frame has solid rails around the window with rubber seals which are meant to keep the cockpit well sealed. The MG's have nothing ot this sort. So I would emagine it's a lot noiser.

Now given that most of us treat our cars as "fair weather" cars, the top is only for sudden weather changes. So in that case who cares how much noise it makes.

That being said, there's no reason we couldn't unfold the rails. Clip the top to the back. Attach the header to the two posts. Clamp the header, then with velcro behind the window as well, attach the top to both velcro strips. Food for thought.

Now an electric top would be ideal, but we would probably loose the shelf area. Jim, I think you're right. Let's give this some thought.

OK Steve, next time I'll pass the Elva (i'm sure he would be happy to know that you knew what kind of car it is). The MGB was our host and was leading the way to his cottage.

Cheers,

Mike