• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1st drive

lgurley

Donation Time
I took my SV on it's first test drive today. I did not have the engine rebuilt because I knew that it would run. I did not like the oil pressure which ran from 25 to 30 on the gauge.

What pressure should i expect from a 1725?

Thanx,

LARRY

britbeam

Donation Time
I took my SV on it's first test drive today. I did not have the engine rebuilt because I knew that it would run. I did not like the oil pressure which ran from 25 to 30 on the gauge.

What pressure should i expect from a 1725?

Thanx,

LARRY

Larry what was your pressure at idle and what is your rpm at idle.
Dwain V6 Krazy

lgurley

Donation Time
Mellow

I made the gamble realizing that I might have to rebuild the engine. I was told by the seller that it had been sitting for eight years. The tachometer and the amp meter were not working so I don't know about the R.P.M. Trouble shooting that is tomorrow's challenge. What oil pressure range should I be looking for?

Larry

alpine_64

Donation Time
You really want 50psi at 3000rpm warm.. or close to it. 25 psi at warm idle would be good too. I wouldnt worry as much about the idle psi if you are getting 50 when on the run. Also check the oil psi reliefe valve, they are a comon problem on these motors. It's in the oil filter base, take it out and make sure its moving freely.. if not spend a few days with some paint thinners and prodding it in and out.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Larry,

Workshop manual 145 (Light car range with 1725) states 40/45 Psi (when hot) with the engine in new condition. I have also read elsewhere 48/52Psi when hot, but no rpm (I seem to recall 50 psi while travelling at 80 Kph(50 Mph). As Michael stated, if the car had been sitting for a while your pressure relief valve may be stuck partially open. After running the engine, open the oil filler cap or remove the rocker cover and check there is fresh oil making its way to the valve rockers to lubricate them.

Regards, Robin.