• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1999 T5 questions

altered

Donation Time
I picked up a 1999 3.8 V6 T5. I know I need to get the bearing retainer turned down for the bellhousing to fit, do I also need to get the spud turned down on this tranny? Is there a specific procedure for pulling the input shaft? I seem to recall reading about needle bearings. Anything else?

Thanks, Trevor.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I picked up a 1999 3.8 V6 T5. I know I need to get the bearing retainer turned down for the bellhousing to fit, do I also need to get the spud turned down on this tranny? Is there a specific procedure for pulling the input shaft? I seem to recall reading about needle bearings. Anything else?

Thanks, Trevor.

You will also need to have the bearing retainer shortened to the length of the 5.0 T5. Yes the pilot bearing spud needs to be turned down to .590", the same as the 2.3 T5. While the input shaft is removed, take a look at the front end of the output (main) shaft to check for galling of the bearing surface

Attachments

• t5 input shaft.jpg
    t5 input shaft.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 23

mferris

Donation Time
I, too, have a '98 V6 T5 and would like to know if there is a special procedure for removing the retainer/front shaft.

-Mike

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
If I recall correctly the thrust bearing is actually one or two disks holding the roller bearings in place. They can pop out. Also the roller bearings that ride on the front of the output shaft can fall into the tranny case if you are not careful. When the tranny shop removed my input shaft bearings went all over the place. They weren't concerned as they were replacing the bearing pack and seals. And the bearing cone, race, and shim can fall out of the bearing retainer when removed. I would recomend the the input shaft and retainer face down when removed. This may help reduce the chance of bearings falling into the case.

altered

Donation Time
Mike, Thanks for help. I took the input shaft out with it pointing down and everything stayed together. I had the machine shop turn down the bearing retainer, shorten it and reduce the size of the spud on the input shaft. Everything looks good and now I just have to get it back together without loosing any of those needle bearings. I checked the output shaft and it's all good.

Trevor.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Trevor,

To make sure the needle roller bearings in the end of the input shaft, just put a light grease in the hole and they will stay put while you assemble the transmission. It´s not too hard.

Jose

Mike, Thanks for help. I took the input shaft out with it pointing down and everything stayed together. I had the machine shop turn down the bearing retainer, shorten it and reduce the size of the spud on the input shaft. Everything looks good and now I just have to get it back together without loosing any of those needle bearings. I checked the output shaft and it's all good.

Trevor.

canuck pride

Donation Time

Trevor.

Hey Trevor, Did you end up using a 1999 t5 ? and did it all turn out for you. Im in the hunt for a 1999 now and was woundering if you still had your measurements. Thanks mike

altered

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

I did go with the 1999 T5. I still don't have it running but everything is together and sitting in the car. I am just working on the tranny mount at the moment. Once that's done I will get the motor mounts done. Jose's kit makes it a no brainer for the most part. I had the pilot bearing spud turned down to .590". The bearing retainer overall length shortened by .5"(if I remember correctly, check this number) I took the bellhousing to the machine shop with the bearing retainer and asked them to turn the retainer down to fit the bellhousing.
The motor still has to come out at least once more if you need any photos or measurements.
Trevor.