• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1966 Alpine Carpet

donchiotos

Donation Time
I am working on a 1966 Alpine that has the V6 conversion with the T5 transmission. I am in the process of installing the carpet. So I bought the series V carpet kit from Sunbeam Specialties. My problem is it doesn't fit correctly. I haven't contacted Rick at Sunbeam Specialties yet but was wondering what carpet other people used in their Alpines. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't think it is fair to blame Rick because a carpet kit for a stock Series Alpine does not fit a S-V with a modified transmission tunnel and a relocated shifter.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Us guys (or at least I do) that do the V6 Conversion either have the carpet custom fitted or by the Stock carpet from SS or CS and modify the carpet our selves.

Rick or Curt have excellent representations for the "original or near original stuff". As for as I know they do not sell items such as you mention probably because of the many different modifications accomplished by the different Guys doing the V6 Conversion as well as the many other types of engine and trasmission swaps.

Suggest you take your V6 to a custom upholestry shop and get them to fit it for you. That is what I did last time.

65beam

Donation Time
Wonder how many of the roughly 69,000 Alpines have been converted to having a V6 under the hood? Anybody know? As Dan said , they're a custom mod so how could a supplier stock parts for something that never existed in the Rootes line up ? As to how to fit the carpets, it's a matter of elimination. There are two front floor sections (R & L), same for under the seats, trans tunnel, and rear parcel area. One piece of carpet with no binding and padding is cut to fit the tunnel under the console and a short narrow piece with binding fits over the frame section under the front of the console. You'll find that you need to make a few cuts to the piece under the console so the back corners lay flat. This is near the seat belt anchors. There are two long sections that fit along the sills. There should be a triangle shaped section that fits under the rear parcel area and covers the hump over the rear axle. Common sense will allow you to see where any additional cuts may be required to make everything lay flat but make sure the cuts are hid under the main sections of the carpet. I've found a couple V sections may have to be cut to get the trans tunnel sections to lay flat in the ash tray area and also at the front corners of the same piece. Installation is fairly easy. When cutting the area for the shifter I never cut the carpet110_0267.JPG opening the size of the opening in the body. This allows the carpet edge to be under the rubber boot.

Attachments

• 107_0596.JPG
    107_0596.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 30

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
What about the SIV automatics? They have a wider tunnel than the manual transmission cars. Does anyone the stock carpet sets fit the AT cars?

65beam

Donation Time
Jim,
The same carpet kit seems to fit both four speeds and automatics. There's plenty of material to work with. Look at the photo of my green car and you'll see a car that was built with the tunnel for an auto even though it came with a four speed. The carpets shown are the third set for this car that I've bought from Rick.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Bob. I ask because the AT cars don't need the tunnel modified (at least, as far as width) for the V6. I have a stock kit and it will be interesting to see if it fits, when I get to that point.

Dan: I know you have converted AT cars. Have you tried a stock carpet kit?

65beam

Donation Time
Jim,
This photo shows the trans tunnel carpet in the car but not secured in place. Notice the width of the carpet. The second photo shows it secured. Notice any difference? The toughest part was getting the snaps to hold the foot well carpets in place on the fire wall. I talked a 30 something into doing the snaps.110_0298.JPG 110_0721.JPG