• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1965 Alpine Series V for Sale

plaske

Donation Time
I've had a 1965 Series V Alpine for almost 20 years and I have never restored it. I started a restoration through a restoration company a couple of years ago, but I decided it was going to be too expensive to continue. The car is pretty solid and original. I have a number of new OEM parts, etc. Some of these parts are kind of rare - like I have OEM headlight shades to replace the ones on the car. I'll post some pictures of parts in a day or two. I'll also provide more information to interested parties. I'm looking to get the car out of my garage but I don't really know what it's worth. I was hoping to find some interest here on the forum and determine it's worth from a couple of "bids". If that doesn't work, I will try posting on eBay. Transportation to your place would have to be arranged for and paid for by you. I'm located in Milwaukee, WI. Here are some photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HP1cWsoUU5dBwE5p9

Last edited:

plaske

Donation Time
Just some notes, its an early Alpine 5 that's good , I did notice that the motor in not a 1725??
What makes you say that? Do you think it's a 1592? But it has the dual carbs. I'm pretty sure that it's original. Do you know where I'd find the engine serial number? Does that make the car worth more or less?

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
What letters and numbers do you see on the engine block in the area that is highlighted in the photo?

Mike

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 32

plaske

Donation Time
I sense that there isn't a lot of interest among the owner's club. This makes sense in that you guys already have your cars or your projects. I was hoping to get some opinions as to what people think this car is worth - just a range. In your experience, what have you seen similar cars sell for? I think I will list it on eBay.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
As RootesRooteer noted, someone has replaced the oil filter with a type from an early Alpine. But it also appears that the oil cooler block and oil cooler lines are not there. Is the oil cooler still in place - a round tube with fins in front of the lower part of the radiator ?

Tom

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
In the pictures I could not see a dip stick coming out of the block?? and the oil filter is early. I now see it under the coil!

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
"I was hoping to get some opinions as to what people think this car is worth - just a range."
Very hard to set a price with the photos you provided. These cars rust-all over the place... Close ups on the bottom of the fenders, rocker panels, trunk floor, under the seats will be a good start. Run a magnet around the bottom of the fenders-does it stick?
And what happened to the front valance panel?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Did/does it run, shift, make bad noises , smoke , leak more than normal, rust, have bad repairs. You have barely enough pictures can never have too many, but you also lack info.
Running when parked?
Costs are the same relatively speaking, restoring a Tiger or an Alpine. Car shippers don't like non running cars. Title?
Bill of sale cars go to CHP in California and that's a P.I.T.A.
Old title cars may "you're results may vary," also get turned away from AAA and to DMV. Everything that makes it hard costs time or $ or both. You'll get the best price from a local guy as it's not cheap or easy to move a non running car, and transporting a running car isn't cheap either. Tiger and Alpine prices are soft now IMHO.
Like anything else find a comparable, then deduct or add for relavent factors.
Hopefully a member close to you will save the car.

plaske

Donation Time
Good info to know. I'll try to get more pics and answers to some of the questions soon. The car does not run. We started a restoration so the radiator is out and got cleaned out. The gas tanks are out and got cleaned out. I'm a little busy with other stuff right now but I do need to make some time to get this sold so I will be posting again soon.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi plaske. I just looked at the photos and think you are getting good advice from the members here. More than anything, they key to the car's value will be rust, or lack thereof. Most mechanical issues can be sorted fairly economically, relatively to the ultimate value of the car, but rust is a royal pain to deal with, time-consuming and expensive. Knowing a bit about the car's history will also be helpful. For example, a car that spent its early years in Milwaukee is likely to be worth less than one imported from California as a non running project. Also keep in mind that anything that also fits a Tiger (e.g., most trim and interior pieces) is more expensive than an Alpine-unique part. IF the car is solid, I am sure you will find a buyer at a decent price - here or on eBay. The more you can do to document that, the better information you will get regarding its value and - potentially - the easier it will be to sell the car.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
I would say that rust on this car is not too significant. The door gaps are even, which is a good sign that the shell has not sagged and is therefore not structurally weakened by rust and little evidence of corrosion in the engine bay. There is bound to be some rust somewhere, potentially in the floor pans and inner sills (rocker panels?), but overall, this looks a fairly solid and original car. The interior trim needs a lot of work, although everything for this is available and there is no information on the mechanical condition. However, it has wire wheels with a set of rare Series I triple ear spinners, which is a nice feature. If this were in the UK, I think it would be a good restoration project and would find a buyer fairly easily. Is it a feature of Alpine values in the USA, that there has not been much interest in it? In the UK, Alpine values seem to be rising and a good Series V is worth around £15,000 ($19,000) and a concours car perhaps £22,000 ($28,000). A project like this car might be worth £4,500-£5,000, say $6,000. Somebody save it please!

65beam

Donation Time
I would say that rust on this car is not too significant. The door gaps are even, which is a good sign that the shell has not sagged and is therefore not structurally weakened by rust and little evidence of corrosion in the engine bay. There is bound to be some rust somewhere, potentially in the floor pans and inner sills (rocker panels?), but overall, this looks a fairly solid and original car. The interior trim needs a lot of work, although everything for this is available and there is no information on the mechanical condition. However, it has wire wheels with a set of rare Series I triple ear spinners, which is a nice feature. If this were in the UK, I think it would be a good restoration project and would find a buyer fairly easily. Is it a feature of Alpine values in the USA, that there has not been much interest in it? In the UK, Alpine values seem to be rising and a good Series V is worth around £15,000 ($19,000) and a concours car perhaps £22,000 ($28,000). A project like this car might be worth £4,500-£5,000, say $6,000. Somebody save it please!
Clarify your remark that it has the " rare series 1 triple ear spinners".

ALC 68A

Donation Time
I mean the three point knock off nuts holding on the wire wheels, visible in the photos. We call these spinners in the UK; perhaps they are called something different in the USA? This style was only used on Series I and early Series II before a change to the large hexagonal nuts, allegedly for safety reasons. If so, I wonder how MGs, Triumphs and Austin Healeys were able to continue using eared spinners? Whatever, they are fairly rare, at least in the UK, and fetch good money at spares swap meets. Regards.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Blame the Ralph Nader types or those who figured if James Bond had tire and pedestrian slashing knock offs we'd all want them ;)