• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1964 Tiger up for auction with no reserve

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I thought his car-like his others, had lots of extra chrome everywhere?

65beam

Donation Time
This photo is Bill's car a few years back. The roll bar has now been removed along with a few other changes. I took this photo while the car was parked in Bill's garage. The car on the left is the race car that he had and the other photo is the Harrington that he had. I haven't seen the Harrington for sale recently.100_0607.JPG

Attachments

• 100_0602.JPG
    100_0602.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 13

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Kind of amazing buy a car then drop it off at Dale's to unpersonalize it. Guess if you have that kinda dough it's easy.
I thought the roll bar was too much but it sure would have supported a bikini top in case you get caught out in the rain.
In nearly 9 years it's old happened to me once. Now I'll not go out if there's more than 50% chance of rain.

65beam

Donation Time
Kind of amazing buy a car then drop it off at Dale's to unpersonalize it. Guess if you have that kinda dough it's easy.
I thought the roll bar was too much but it sure would have supported a bikini top in case you get caught out in the rain.
In nearly 9 years it's old happened to me once. Now I'll not go out if there's more than 50% chance of rain.
Buck was using a bikini top while in Wisconsin. I would like to have one but I don't have a roll bar. I guess we could make a removable frame.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sure you have seen Austin Healys and MGs with a solid bar to hold the back. Much like a Bimini on a trailerable boat. I remember now that a local member has a brother with a marine canvas business who I think made the Bimini.
I only mentioned it as I read some here have converted GT cars back to to have a soft top.
Gotta wonder if the rarity was for a reason, like no soft top.

Attachments

• IMG_20190608_110915.jpg
    IMG_20190608_110915.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 30
  • MVIMG_20190608_110907.jpg
    MVIMG_20190608_110907.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 30

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its comon for GT alpines to be converted to ST spec. Some do a full ST conversion removing the metal supports for the seats and using the S3/IV metal folding panels, some use the SV setup.

There is a hybrid way removing the side capoings and keeping the rear seat intact.

As for GT tigers... They are rare enough to keep them as is. The theory of the GT alpines was to offer a more refined closed version of an alpine with higher spec interior and more internal space that had occasional open top ability.

With the Tiger they decided to hybridise the car by the cross body car. Adding full GT interior and keeping the soft top simplifying production.

65beam

Donation Time
Sure you have seen Austin Healys and MGs with a solid bar to hold the back. Much like a Bimini on a trailerable boat. I remember now that a local member has a brother with a marine canvas business who I think made the Bimini.
I only mentioned it as I read some here have converted GT cars back to to have a soft top.
Gotta wonder if the rarity was for a reason, like no soft top.
I can't remember the last time I saw a car with a top like that. You hardly ever see someone driving an LBC. You drive your pickup or SUV.

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
In this area that's the way it is. You're an exception to the rule. No one wants to live with parking lot dings on their LBC's.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
That Tiger sold today Sept 5, 2019 for $133,000. A tidy sum:) I watch it thru to the end knowing it would go into the 100K +

Very nice!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Good result for the seller... He apparently had a for sale sign at Monterey car week for 126 or 129... Whats the commission BaT charge?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
You don't know what you're missing!
I'm not missing anything, certainly not missing getting 20 mpg.. I don't like large vehicles or towing trailers, so I don't tow my Alpine and enjoy putting a lot of miles on it. 111,000 so far. I enjoy driving mine, you enjoy showing yours.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
I'm not missing anything, certainly not missing getting 20 mpg.. I don't like large vehicles or towing trailers, so I don't tow my Alpine and enjoy putting a lot of miles on it. 111,000 so far. I enjoy driving mine, you enjoy showing yours.

Bill
I wish I could get 20 MPG especially when towing. We used to drive the cars everywhere and still would if her body would allow it. We had the series 4 set up with a receiver hitch so we could put the kid behind the seats and hook the Tine Out camper and go. At last years United she was having to use a cane to walk. That problem was resolved but there are other problems that limit her time in the Beams. That happens so we use the resources available to us. While at the United, did you notice we had two lots for trailers and tow vehicles? More than one person said they envy you for driving everywhere.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
"More than one person said they envy you for driving everywhere"
And that is why we call him Commander Bill!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
From BaT

If you win an auction we charge 5% of the final bid price on top of the winning bid, with a minimum fee of $250 up to $5,000 (5% of a $100,000 bid). The fee for sales higher than $100,000 is capped at $5,000.

My take would it be worth 5,000 or 5% to sell or bump a listing ? Hmmmmm