• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1964 Sunbeam Venezia (not quite so super) Superleggera

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Saw this pop up on Hemmings. The pretty paint sadly hides a cacophony of sins.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/sunbeam/venezia/2318046.html

75886412-770-0@2X.jpg

75886423-770-0@2X.jpg

75886430-770-0@2X.jpg

75886438-770-0@2X.jpg

75886447-770-0@2X.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
A member on here helped sell this car for the previous owner when their health failed and ir became clear they would not finish the resto...not sure if the dealer selling stuck the few new bits and side exahust on to get it running for sale.. Or an intermediary owner did...but someone is trying to make a lot of coin on a flip...

While the floors are certainly an issue... A bigger one would be the condition of the wire frame and alloy body and any galvanic corrosion... Serious money and skill to sort... Not to mention how large the alloy panels are and how much work to sort their gentle curvature.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Lots of skillful work needed. I like the Holbay engine - if it's a real one - and the inlet trumpets. For 9k $ perhaps o_O

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The peaked areas above the headlights, are they blanked off or do they let air flow thru? Almost looks like they were meant to fit some SuperMinx lenses.

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
Let me answer the last question first: these peaked openings are indeed functional, it is for the heater on rh side and "air conditoning " on the lh side.
The structure is not build out of wire but tubes, a patented process of Touring Superleggera.
This car came from Washington state to me. With all the parts included it is complete and certainly a challenging project if you have either the money or dedication and talents to tackle a very interesting project.
The next owner did get some paint on the car and did make it drivable with the cherry bomb and all. For unknown reasons he sold it, but it was still in New England. Then it appeared at this dealer in Ohio at this unrealistic asking price. The potential is certainly there. Enough said!

12   Touring Body structure.jpg View attachment 22907 #3 in Oregon.jpg

Attachments

• Engine bay LH.JPG
    Engine bay LH.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 38

alpine_64

Donation Time
Robert your engine bay looks great! Are you running twin Zenith carbs on your car?
They predate the Venezia dont they?
I see you added a polished Holbay rocker cover to top it off... Looks smashing....
Be nice to have a full H120 setup in there.. You could colour match the airbox to the body.. That and the DCOEs Would look perfect :-D

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robert your engine bay looks great! Are you running twin Zenith carbs on your car?
They predate the Venezia don't they?

Michael,

Think they're Webers. The fuel inlet and almost legible logo indicate "not Zenith".

The oft mentioned project I don't recall anyone discussing details of accomplishing.

Looks good, Jaars. That linkage setup definitely required some thought.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael,

Think they're Webers. The fuel inlet and almost legible logo indicate "not Zenith".

The oft mentioned project I don't recall anyone discussing details of accomplishing.

Looks good, Jaars. That linkage setup definitely required some thought.

Ha you're right, i just saw the manifold amd down drafts and didnt look deeper.. Just thoght had a modified linkage!

I recall a pair of VW spec single throat webers mounted to a zenith manifold listed on ebay a few years back.. Amd maybe someone on the forum starting down that path...

Be interesting to know how they go

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Ha you're right, i just saw the manifold amd down drafts and didnt look deeper.. Just thoght had a modified linkage!

I recall a pair of VW spec single throat webers mounted to a zenith manifold listed on ebay a few years back.. Amd maybe someone on the forum starting down that path...

Be interesting to know how they go

You can now buy PIC37 37mm chinesium carbys that should bolt onto the zenith intake. Allegedly has 31mm chokes which IIRC was the size of the factory race chokes.
Oh and there is a 39mm carb available as well but not so cheap.

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
Let me clarify, it is a S2 ported manifold with indeed two Webers. Since I happen to have these two brand new Webers I thought I try this. Some of the linkage came from Pierce. However the car is still not totally complete and on the road. It is a souped up engine with lighted flywheel, etc.. Originally it had two Weber sidedrafts, which I still have. But for road use this appeared more useful to me. Someone in the SC area did the same after seeing my setup. I do not know how he made out. I will try to follow up if I still can find the info.

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
This car need a very skilled "body-man" The crumbling underneath view was terrifying.
The car has quite a beautiful design, except the flat front part. It looks odd.
This car is a goner if the patching continues.
If I got the car for free I would spend $ 49500 at the most professional restorer I know.