• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1964 Series III ?

foghorn14

Donation Time
A guy is selling a '64 Series III. (No pictures yet.) Is there such a thing? I thought they were only in '63 based on the build date section which only goes to '63; but does that mean they weren't titled in '64?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It was common for the car to be titled as the year it was sold. I bought (new) a "1963" Series II that had to be a very early example, as it had the factory grease gun. The grease gun was removed from production in October, 1960.

Bill

John Boggis

Donation Time
Yes it's possible. I have a 1972 Series V. I guess the dealer just couldn't get anyone to buy it?

:p

This is an interesting car...do you have the spec on the Vin tag ?

I'm going to the Rootes archive centre soon and it would be interesting to find this cars history... you would think this car might be one of the last Alpines built.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
1964 S3

Yes, I have a 1964 S3 Alpine. My car came off the line in Oct/Nov 1963 and the paperwork calls it a 1964 S3. There have also been times of strikes and such things during the production of our cars; this may also have had an issue with the dates, when the cars had been transported, paper work etc.
I can only assume that it was too late for the company to ship the car and sell the car in North American this late in 1963, so they called it a 1964. :confused:

Check your VIN it will tell you when the car was made, dates etc.

Regards,
Andrew

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
John,
was trying to be funny................

no such car.

P

This is an interesting car...do you have the spec on the Vin tag ?

I'm going to the Rootes archive centre soon and it would be interesting to find this cars history... you would think this car might be one of the last Alpines built.

65beam

Donation Time
1964 series 4

there was a fastback stored in harrisburg,pa for many years. i believe it was owned by an ex dealer. it was one of the cars that was supposed to have had sand dumped in the motor during a labor dispute at the factory. all the repair parts were with it. i heard he finally sold it. wonder what year it got titled? mark (volvo guy),do you know anything about it?

Pumpkin

Donation Time
1964 ser lll

Yes mine was built the last work week of the 62 year, that was the end of production, it was shipped to the US ,? El Monte, CA.? I believe and was sold in May or June of 63' Thus it is classed as a 63' serll..

BUt I was at one of the Rootes Rendezvues in Canada 2 years ago. One of the guys has a 62/with 63 parts and they were all factory.

??
cheers
chuck

Giacomo71

Donation Time
hi im new to this forun and i have a series 3 1963. As far as i know all series3's were produced in 1963 however it i rather easy to spot a series 3 as it is the only one with the fins and the quarterwindow in the doors. series 2's and 4's are totaly different from the series 3. the date of manufacture is rather pointless aslong as the car is easiely identified from the shap and chassie number. My alpine was one of the last produced with chassie number B9205701.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I know of another S3 that was sold as a 1964. It was a race car owned by Jim Latimer. Dark Green and probably near Serial number B9200150.

I ran across the ad and couldn't figure out why it was listed as a 1964. Then it dawned on me Rootes technically owned the car until it was sold to Jim in 64.

jim.jpg

Bob Grossman raced the car for most of 63'. Then it was sold to Sports Car Forum. Then to Jim. Jim was a Detroit area Dealer who lived in Monroeville, MI and eventually moved to Eastern Ohio I believe.

(... errrr... I think I know why it was faster)

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I am fairly certain it had the factory alloy panels on the hood, doors, and trunk lid. This provided a decent weight advantage.

Unfortunately, HJ Meyer of Sports Car Forum, who sold it to Jim, couldn't confirm the car had the panels. It just never occurred to him that the racecar could have alloy as panels when they received it from Rootes.

The sister car, raced by Ken Miles in 63', most likely also had the alloy panels. I have one photo just after Serge May bought it from Rootes in 64' and you can see the door, hood, and assume trunk lid, too, are different colors. My guess is Ken, or somebody in his shop, removed those pieces.

Both cars were setup very similar to the Sebring factory cars of 62' in all details including the competition seats, etc.

Specifically the alloy panels on Alpines were prohibited by the SCCA. As they should since they weren't a production item. In fact, Len Amato in the Northeast was protested once or twice due to these panels which he had on the Sebring car he owned (now owned by Steve Alcala).

Since they were illegal many of the Sebring cars had the alloy panels removed, swapping for steel, but the panels still managed to find their way to other race cars...

Steve