• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1964 MKIII GT Basket Case, VA

MC70

Donation Time
I have the car described in the title and am wanting to find a good home for it. Yes, it is a basket case but it is (from my limited knowledge of Sunbeam Alpines) the rarest of the rare, so may have some value in this community. Being someone who appreciates classic cars, it is important to me that the car find someone with the means and desire to put this back on the road rather than to strip and scrap.

The story as I know it:

My father purchased this car in '75/'76 at his first duty station in Utah. It then went into storage for a year or so, re-emerging to become my uncle's first car in SoCal (Whittier) in '79. He painted it in what he thought was the original color (light blue... It may be but there is some evidence in the layers of paint it may have been metallic green). I just found out that the rear passenger side had suffered a significant impact prior to us buying the car. He drove it for a while and in that time the car started popping out of gear.

From there it was shipped to HI in '81. We started stripping the paint and doing some bodywork but that stopped when the engine spun a main rod bearing. It ran, but knocked.

The car was parked and never really addressed again with any sort of care. It spent a few years under a tarp in the driveway at Ft. Belvoir, VA from '82-'89. It was started once or twice during that time. Then my parents moved to Williamsburg, VA where it was garaged until 2013 when I was told to come get it or it would be taken to the junk yard.

I drove out to VA and moved the car to my sister's property near Richmond, VA. It was supposed to have been covered and on a hard surface, but I found out that it was instead parked in a field... worse, they managed to yank the front bumper off while dragging out around which damaged both fenders.

The whole thing makes me feel sick. I loved this car more than anything, and it was the only thing my father and I could communicate about without fighting. It is truly heartbreaking to see this car in this state.

The car is complete, except for a bit of trim, though badly aged and degraded. There is a replacement steering box and a replacement gearbox in the trunk. The spare is included and I believe the knockoff kit is also present (but I'm not positive). The hardtop is with the car as well, but has no rear window.

It isn't worth much of anything via the appraisal I just had performed, and I was fully expecting it to be worth less than it was priced at; presumably the rarity is a consideration. I'm not liking for this to line my wallet, and I'm under no delusion that the car is worth its weight in gold.. Honestly, it is probably a liability to all but the collector with copious time, means, and a desire to have this particular car.

This is one of those 'to a good, responsible, capable home' ads. I will post photos of the carnage this evening.

MC70

Donation Time
033_zpspprvlthe.jpg

032_zpsxpma9csv.jpg

024_zpsiu7jwntl.jpg

022_zpswf5yy6fa.jpg

MC70

Donation Time
Unfortunately the guy who took these pics (who performed the appraisal) didn't take a photo of the data tag).

008_zps3evbwdng.jpg

007_zpsnlcvoicb.jpg

006_zpssri5ulj5.jpg.html

005_zpsthilgvjy.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sorry the car met such an undignified end. Sadly having sat in a field where the car has probably had moist grass against the underside and a rear window missing so rain can enter the car and pool on the floor the body is likely to be structurally rusty... Shots of the floors front and back and the large x brace under the car are vital.

As for rarity, yes a s3gt is rare, but not enough to make a difference. The value is likely less than the cost of the appraisal if the underside is rusty.

The car has lost the original seats, appears to have the early series 1/2 seats on it, GT door trims gone as well. Basically there are parts missing and the car is very rough.

There are a few parts on the car that might be worth more than its total... The steering wheel, air filter set up ( if you can find someone who needs it) hardtop if its not to badly rusted

The condition on the floors and x brace will determine if the car is a big project or just parts.

MC70

Donation Time
Sorry the car met such an undignified end. Sadly having sat in a field where the car has probably had moist grass against the underside and a rear window missing so rain can enter the car and pool on the floor the body is likely to be structurally rusty... Shots of the floors front and back and the large x brace under the car are vital.

The car has been on gravel for about half of the time it was at my relative's property, then moved to a field and under a tree. When I discovered this, I asked her to move it back up to the drive. She presumably did where it sat for a couple more months while I was trying to arrange transport, but then it was recently moved back. So it has suffered some moisture underneath and at seeing these photos it spurred me to get it moved or sold quickly. I would not expect much rust; at least not 'found it in a field' rust. The surface rust was ever the only real rust on the car as it was garaged for most of its life.

Also, the car has always been covered, and no water is entering through the window; it was just uncovered for those photos. The interior has never had water pooling inside at all. If anything, a critter problem would be my concern.

As for rarity, yes a s3gt is rare, but not enough to make a difference. The value is likely less than the cost of the appraisal if the underside is rusty.

The car has lost the original seats, appears to have the early series 1/2 seats on it, GT door trims gone as well. Basically there are parts missing and the car is very rough.

There are a few parts on the car that might be worth more than its total... The steering wheel, air filter set up ( if you can find someone who needs it) hardtop if its not to badly rusted

The condition on the floors and x brace will determine if the car is a big project or just parts.

Of course I'll have to defer to the experts, however a run of 1,500 cars of any marque is rare. Add the rarity of a surviving (kinda) car from that era and it gets more rare. The MOPAR boys get all excited about a barely surviving, numbers matching car which is one of tens of thousands of a run from the same era. Heck, I'm a Miata guy and that community gets excited about a limited run color of one of millions; it's all in who you're talking to. But this particular crowd and this particular car in this particular place is going to be a tough sell. I presented it here more to try to find a buyer who'd put it back on the road or do a full restoration than anything else.

I don't want much for it at all; in fact, what I really want is a contract with the new owner that the car will be restored (at least to some degree) so it isn't lost. I don't want it parted out. I can drag it home and part it (or reuse parts for other projects). I don't need to sell the car; but I feel like I want to give it a good home. Maybe that's unrealistic, but it is important for me to explore that avenue.

MC70

Donation Time
Curious as to the asking price?

Mark

The right owner, who will take care of the car with a promise not to part it out or salvage it will find that gas to get it home might cost more than I want for the vehicle. Money isn't the issue here; the car's survival is.

This is a dog you have to let go to a new home; you don't give it away because that always calls in the deviants, but you do find the folks willing to part with a little green because you know they really want that dog. Idealistic, maybe, but still important to me.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
The right owner, who will take care of the car with a promise not to part it out or salvage it will find that gas to get it home might cost more than I want for the vehicle. Money isn't the issue here; the car's survival is.

This is a dog you have to let go to a new home; you don't give it away because that always calls in the deviants, but you do find the folks willing to part with a little green because you know they really want that dog. Idealistic, maybe, but still important to me.

May not be your buyer .... However Mark will be able to give you a good idea of its value in parts

MC70

Donation Time
For what it's worth, I think if you follow the properties link of the posted photos you can find more pics of the car. I took a bunch when I pulled it out of my mom's garage which shows the detail of several parts from 2 years ago before it was parked at my sister's place. I haven't seen it since, but the photos (posted) are what I got back from the appraiser on Monday. When I saw them, I wasn't at all pleased. That's what prompted this action.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Following the photos' URL to the photo bucket site shows a photo of the data plate - Code 67 and GT. Not sure how many Metallic Green S3's there are out there...

Scott, are you still collecting VIN numbers? This one should be logged.

Cheers,
Paul.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
You are correct that the SIII was the lowest production Alpine and the GT was just a fraction of the total. Lacking a personal view and knowledge of the structural condition of the cruciform, in it's current state I still believe it would cost more to restore the car than it is worth. I've known many a guy who bought an Alpine that was supposedly solid, only to find the car had serious issues once the bodywork began. Just in the pics I see I would have serious concern in the nose since when the bumper came off it apparently tore the front frame horns. Who's to say whether the frame rails were twisted?

I can understand your personal attachment to the car since it has family history tho you might be unrealistic in expecting the next owner to take ownership with a restoration-only agreement. Honestly, if you were to deliver the GT to me free and I had to give you my word I would restore it, regardless of condition, I would pass. The car absolutely needs to be kept from the crusher. But unless you're willing to restore the car, reconsider your conditions or you want to go into the Sunbeam parts business (which will mean it's demise, anyway) it might wind up there.

Final thought: where would anyone expect to find the missing/destroyed parts to bring this car back? Obviously from another Alpine that ran the course and give up it's bits in the end to keep another on the road.

Sorry, just my opinions.

Regards, Mark ..... volvoguys (PA)

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Mark, this car is now in NC and in dry storage. I have to say the floors/trunk,rocker panels and the underside is in very good condition and w/in a week will be on the rotisserie.
The bad news is that the body has some fairly significant bruises buy only one small area,pea size of actual rust through. The lower a-arm fulcrum pin is broken from a hard hit but I don't see that as a real big issue for repair. If there is any misalignment of the bumper horns it is not visually apparent. The hard top is in very good condition but obviously needs a rebuild. There is a lot of original color still on the car esp. under the hood, in the trunk and under the dash cap. Unfortunately the engine was not matching #'s as the owner had thought but is a factory replacement w/o ID #'s other than the alum. tag
on the block , behind the generator. The engine turns but a check of the main bearings revealed problems, esp. #2, so I doubt a rebuild is going to happen as it is not original and 1725's are available.

Will see how it goes but I think this is a reasonable project that will keep a relatively rare GT, code 67 on the road.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Doug,

Did you buy it? If so, are you going to keep the old four cylinder in it?

Jose

Hi Mark, this car is now in NC and in dry storage. I have to say the floors/trunk,rocker panels and the underside is in very good condition and w/in a week will be on the rotisserie.
The bad news is that the body has some fairly significant bruises buy only one small area,pea size of actual rust through. The lower a-arm fulcrum pin is broken from a hard hit but I don't see that as a real big issue for repair. If there is any misalignment of the bumper horns it is not visually apparent. The hard top is in very good condition but obviously needs a rebuild. There is a lot of original color still on the car esp. under the hood, in the trunk and under the dash cap. Unfortunately the engine was not matching #'s as the owner had thought but is a factory replacement w/o ID #'s other than the alum. tag
on the block , behind the generator. The engine turns but a check of the main bearings revealed problems, esp. #2, so I doubt a rebuild is going to happen as it is not original and 1725's are available.

Will see how it goes but I think this is a reasonable project that will keep a relatively rare GT, code 67 on the road.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Jose, haven't made any firm decisions yet except to put it on the road again. To bad about the original engine but that is the way it is. Will decide in the next few weeks about engine replacement/rebuild,etc.
Hope you are doing well and selling conversion kits.
Doug