• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1964 alpine sunbeam - $1,500 (Monroe) Near Athens GA?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I haven't used a public bathroom since March of last year and can't make it this far away and back, else I'd go look at this car. If someone buys it and parts it out, I'd like to have the 3.89 rear, if possible, for a reasonable price.

https://athensga.craigslist.org/cto/d/athens-1964-alpine-sunbeam/7267695164.html

John,

Fairly sure it's not a s3 - grill, front signal lights, and vertical tail lights. Do you need a s3 rear with wires, or just want to change gears?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
If anyone buys it and parts it out, I’d be interested in the headlight rings.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
John,

If you are interested, this car is local to me and I could try to arrange a look-see.

Maybe you might, if you're comfortable, look at it anyway. I'm not getting out until the plague is over and my storage for things like this is currently rented-not entirely, but I don't want to be over there right now either.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Maybe you might, if you're comfortable, look at it anyway. I'm not getting out until the plague is over and my storage for things like this is currently rented-not entirely, but I don't want to be over there right now either.

John,

I have sent a message to the seller and, if the situation seems OK, will try to arrange a look-see. In any case, I will let you know something.

Last edited:

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
John,

Fairly sure it's not a s3 - grill, front signal lights, and vertical tail lights. Do you need a s3 rear with wires, or just want to change gears?

I'd like another 3.89 to enhance overdrive, even if the speedometer is a bit off (which might can be adjusted?) I'd previously swapped my late SV rear to the 3.89 (and 4.22 to my automatic), and I'm currently about through refurbishing the automatic and would like to swap the rear ends back to have the automatic correct, and a bit more relaxed around town.

This car seems to have more than a few good parts, wires included, plus might even be a solid car.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Was it a SIV that had a 3.89 , Got a car I may have time to slice and dice...
And no more jokes about my rear ends. They're like chins got more than va Chi knee phone book :)

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The car is still listed on Craigslist, but the only way to contact the seller is via Craigslist e-mail. No response to two previous attempts, but I have tried again this morning.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
The car is still listed on Craigslist, but the only way to contact the seller is via Craigslist e-mail. No response to two previous attempts, but I have tried again this morning.

Yeah, could be one of the many phony ads on Craigslist. I'm not seeing many Sunbeams sheltered from the weather at this price.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Was it a SIV that had a 3.89 , Got a car I may have time to slice and dice...
And no more jokes about my rear ends. They're like chins got more than va Chi knee phone book :)

I think they went back to the more "buzzy" 4.22 near the end of production. Not sure if, or how long, the 3.89 was standard. A "sliced and diced" rear end from a guy with a Star Wars avatar (that also gave one away on another forum) sounds like a rearend that might be in unknown condition?

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Viewing the car above once again this morning, the car above looks to be a bit more than a $1,500 car, and just a coincidence of being in the same general area.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I think they went back to the more "buzzy" 4.22 near the end of production. Not sure if, or how long, the 3.89 was standard. A "sliced and diced" rear end from a guy with a Star Wars avatar (that also gave one away on another forum) sounds like a rearend that might be in unknown condition?

The SV changed from 4.22 as standard to 3.89's at roooughly 11,000 and didn't change back. Someone with a parts manual handy can look up the exact VIN. SS's catalog may show it too.

And the SIV craigslist ad has been pulled.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The SV changed from 4.22 as standard to 3.89's at roooughly 11,000 and didn't change back. Someone with a parts manual handy can look up the exact VIN. SS's catalog may show it too.

And the SIV craigslist ad has been pulled.
Maybe standard but I'd not bet any large amount that every late Series V had a 3.89. All the very late Series V's I've seen were 4.22. At the very end, it appears that Rootes cleaned out the parts room, utilizing everything they found.

Bill