• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"1963 Sunbeam Prototype"

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Vic:

Jmthehermit is correct; that's the old Ken Miles prototype for the Tiger, commissioned by Ian Garrad. The story goes that Ian couldn't wait for Shelby-American to finish the white car that eventually got the nod from Rootes, so he went to Ken Miles who, at that time, had his own shop (in Hollywood, I believe...). They basically perforned the exercise to see if the small block Ford would really even fit into the car. The engine sits further forward in this car than in the Shelby prototype and it also has a two-speed automatic. A fellow named Bo Cheadle bought the car several years back and had it resurrected shortly before he passed away. Mr. Cheadle did nothing half-way, as the pictures prove. We all owe him a big "thank you" for saving this part of the Tiger legend.

Have a great one,

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice.

But what's the white 'X' behind the grille?

dsc_0131__large_.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kevin,

Thats a fan I think.. they cut the front apron lots and had the radiator really forward.. thats about where they might have put an old electric pusher fan.

Not sure where the car is now.. it was for sale on ebay a few times back in 2006ish i think.. they wanted about 90K

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
It is a really neat car. I kind of like the "american special" aspect. I also like that Ken Miles built it in his shop.

Steve

John Boggis

Donation Time
Color code 30 is Seacrest Green (see color below) this was Rootes racing livery and used on series II cars and prototypes. I wonder why a 1961 car was used for this conversion ?

alpine_64

Donation Time
John,

Shelby was doing is conversion on a SII, garrard got impatient and Miles offered to build a quick test hack, 2 speedo auto stock alpine steering and get it going in a short time to test the idea.. the car was a used alpine ken did the conversion and candy apple paint just to make it look presentable.. this car was actually faster in a straight line than the shelby car.. but all reports were it was lethal in corners with the motor so far forward.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
John,

I would bet the car was chosen simply for cost and availability. Probably a used model with an engine issue that could be handed over to Ken Miles quickly.

Rootes was pretty frugle when these types of projects came up based on a few letters I have regarding racing components/support.

Steve

lemansvk

Donation Time
Thanks to everyone who responded. I had heard about the Ken Miles car but wasn't sure if this was it or some elaborate fake.

Cheers, Vic