• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1963 Quartz Blue Sunbeam Alpine Restoration

65beam

Donation Time
Another quick question.. You have removed the scuttle brace on the left side. This is sometimes done to clear aftermarket carns (weber dcoes etc) but note you have stock zeniths. Are you missimg the brace or another reason? A few members heee could help you with the part
If he has the brace there could be a problem of installing it due to the location of the brake master reservoir or the diameter of it. Notice how the reservoir sets on this car.107_1011.JPG

Sunbeam63

Donation Time
Another quick question.. You have removed the scuttle brace on the left side. This is sometimes done to clear aftermarket carns (weber dcoes etc) but note you have stock zeniths. Are you missimg the brace or another reason? A few members heee could help you with the part

Great observation! You guys really know your stuff. The reason why I have it out in this picture isn't very exciting. I kept having a leak between the banjo bolt and crush washer into the master cylinder. I got tired of replacing the washer and trying different things with that brace in the way, so I left it out until I was able to get the joint to fit right. It's installed now.

Great! While we almost always have to scramble for usable photos, Greggers, our VP and Technical Director, has already said that he is running well ahead of normal on photo submissions for next year. While Greg's usual problem is with photos that aren't suitable for enlarging to 8 1/2 x 11, I assume your professional photos will be more than sufficient. My suggestion is that you send him one or two of your favorites. Let's overwhelm him with options for 2021!

I will definitely give him some choices. Thank you again for the wonderful opportunity! This is an awesome forum.

Last edited:

Sunbeam63

Donation Time
If he has the brace there could be a problem of installing it due to the location of the brake master reservoir or the diameter of it. Notice how the reservoir sets on this car.View attachment 18723

It's interesting how many changes there were of these cars! That's actually how my Series 3 was, and the parts Series 3 I bought later also had that type of set up. The brace goes on to the left of the reservoir and runs right through the loop of the brake booster line.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Great looking car! You have done a super job with it. Welcome to the Series 3 club!
You say "professionally" restored dash - I assume that means someone else did it for you? Is it painted or flocked?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Great looking car! You have done a super job with it. Welcome to the Series 3 club!
You say "professionally" restored dash - I assume that means someone else did it for you? Is it painted or flocked?
Mike.. The dash on a s3 shouldn't be flocked, they were a black crackle finish paint ;-)

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Michael,

I can't say for certain that my dash was original, but I would be shocked if someone re-finished it with flocking. It's probably a bit hard to tell from the photo, but when removed and disassembled the areas under the instruments and around the edges that were protected from exposure were definitely flocked and appeared to be 100% factory applied. The face was worn, but you could tell it was still fuzzy. No sign of crackle finish at all. Can anyone else with a S3 ST chime in. Now I'm really curious.

Mike

Attachments

• Original Dash.jpg
    Original Dash.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 36

Sunbeam63

Donation Time
Michael,

I can't say for certain that my dash was original, but I would be shocked if someone re-finished it with flocking. It's probably a bit hard to tell from the photo, but when removed and disassembled the areas under the instruments and around the edges that were protected from exposure were definitely flocked and appeared to be 100% factory applied. The face was worn, but you could tell it was still fuzzy. No sign of crackle finish at all. Can anyone else with a S3 ST chime in. Now I'm really curious.

Mike

Mike,

The place that did my dash was Instrument Specialties! They rebuilt the dash and the gauges and saved the bezels. They did an excellent job and are doing my 1964 MGB dash!

I can only say that my dash had the original crackle paint, which Instrument Specialties did a great job replicating. I unfortunately can't say anything about being flocked, except for the glovebox.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the response. I guess my dash remains a mystery. Hopefully some day it will be solved.

Limey

Donation Time
Lovely understated work. Hard graft and hard earned cash. Guys like you are the solid bones, muscle and flesh of this club. Keeping these quirkyy cars on the road. Good on ya.