• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1962 Series II - Pulling Drivetrain

Bronze Level Sponsor
What have people found to be the best method when pulling the Engine with Transmission?
Should I NOT bolt the Engine Hoist chain to the aluminum head?
Should I pull the head first & bolt the hoist chain to the block?
Do I need to pull the water pump for clearance in the front?
Any useful tips will be well received!
Thanks!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've always separated the engine and trans. Much more manageable as you're dealing with
smaller pieces. I take off the rocker arms so you can get to the head bolts. I have lugs that I bolt to the
head through these studs. To pull the engine I don't normally use a leveler as you just want to pull it out.
(Different story putting it back in.) There is no need to pull the head off and once you have the engine free
you can turn it so there's no reason to take the water pump off either. Just attach the chains and lift. I do
them in a cross pattern ie: one on the left side front, one on the right side rear. Depending on underhood
clearance you most likely have to take off the intake and exhaust manifolds.

I use a ratchet strap around the bell housing to hold the trans up once the engine is removed. I attach the hook
ends to the fenderwell supports.
I leave the mount bolted in place, just remove the drive shaft and empty the oil out of it and remove the speedo
cable. I use a motorcycle/atv jack to remove ( and replace) the trans once the engine is out.

Of course all this happens once you remove the hood and the radiator. Common sense I know but figured
I should include it.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The engine & trans can be pulled together. The puling point is located at the front of the valve cover. Remove the valve cover it will not clear past the firewall.
Jan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Pulled the engine & trans out together today. Not as scary as pulling the engine & trans out of my '62 Chrysler New Yorker wagon; with its big block 413!

How do I separate the trans from the block? I have removed all bolts from trans to motor. Are there flywheel bolts or something else to remove?
Thanks!

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
If all bolts (including starter) are out, there's a locater pin (bell to block) that can be holding it. Make sure the engine & trans have equal support and use a large flat tip screwdriver and hammer to tap between the bell & engine to separate.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are pins on the block that get pretty tight with time and tend to stick. As long as you have all the
bell housing bolts out, including the lower flywheel cover, you can pry it apart. Just make sure nothing
is holding it together.