• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1962 Series II - Engine Paint & Finishes

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hello,

I have the engine out & wish to know what color and/or finishes the block and other items under the hood were from the factory. Like...I just was cleaning the flywheel aluminum dust shield & it was covered in black paint. Correct or not? The pushrod side cover covered in back paint. Yes or no? Is anything supposed to be cad plated? Any advice for how the car left the factory would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The block, tappet cover (pushrod cover) flywheel cover were all painted gloss, or semi gloss black
The head is left bare aluminum as was the rocker cover. Not much of anything was cad plated.
Take a look in the gallery on this site and look at the different engine shots. They'll give you a pretty
good idea.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Dumb question here....Forgot I had this original brochure. It shows the engine in red. Assuming this was just for the advertising brochure and (as noted above) the factory delivered the cars with the block in black (versus red)?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Alpine Advert.jpg
    Alpine Advert.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 8

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dumb question here....Forgot I had this original brochure. It shows the engine in red. Assuming this was just for the advertising brochure and (as noted above) the factory delivered the cars with the block in black (versus red)?
Thanks!
Yes the blocks were all black except for some of the very last series V 1725s that has the Chrysler blue.

For early cars black block and brackets, fan, pulleys etc also black.
All the aluminium parts were natural as cast finish.. smooth for the rocker cover and intake manifoldamd header tanks... but they are easy to polish up.

Attachments

• MK_Engine Alpine_02.jpg
    MK_Engine Alpine_02.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 18

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ha. No meant the oil pump / screen item. I thought it odd that someone had painted part of it black before I got it. I scrubbed it clean yesterday & just wanted to make sure. The water pump shall be black.