• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1962 Le Mans Project For Sale

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I was contacted by the owner, and am listing this on his behalf. If you'd like to contact Norm his email address is normmort at hotmail dot com. He can provide pictures:

I have a 1962 Harrington that is being offered for sale at $8500US. I am located in Ontario, Canada near Kingston. The engine is from another Harrington that was destroyed in a fire while undergoing restoration. This engine, transmission and od was professionally rebuilt in Kansas City. It has 500 miles on it when it was fitted in the previous owner's AC Aceca. As well there are brand new and many, many good used parts, extra engines and transmissions I have collected. The body needs restoring -particularly the rear fenders and valance, but the frame and floors are solid. There are NOS front fenders & front valance. Chrome trim is good as are the LeMans script and badges, but the bumper, grille, etc are not. The carpets are good for patterns only. The rare interior panels and seats need only new foam, but are otherwise in excellent condition.
I am regretfully selling this Harrington -stored inside for the past 40 years, only because I have other projects.
I have attached images and can provide more to those interested.
Kindest regards,
Norm Mort

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I don't know anything about the Harrington but I know of the engine... of course this is all just miscellaneous trivia which doesn't add up to much but the story is interesting.

The engine was rebuilt by Bryan Carmond. A little background on Bryan... Bryan Carmond ran an F-Production Alpine in the late 60's and was invited to the 67' American Road Race of Champions. This was the same year Dan Carmichael ran the Sports Car Forum Alpine (without support since Rootes was on their way out).

As Bryan explained he showed up at the Daytona event only to realize Datsun was there enforce to secure their first SCCA Championship. In fact, according to Bryan, they had everyone arrive a week earlier and booked a dyno and started tuning every Datsun entrant. A very serious effort and I don't think you had seen this kind of support offered in the small bore classes.

Unfortunately, as it would turn out Bryan did not qualify for the event. Dan managed to win second place in his Alpine. The winner was Bob Sharp... who we have all heard of.

http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/BobSharp.htm

So, that is the story behind Bryan Carmond. I don't think any other Alpine ever participated in the ARRC after 67'. (could be mistaken... but I think that was it)

(Correction, Bob Behler ran an Alpine at the 1968 Riverside event... purely by accident. His Alfa failed him and Hugh Haverstock was nice enough to loan him his Alpine for Riverside. Unfortunately, the Alpine became stuck in 4th (probably not that big of a problem at Riverside) and then he had a flat far from the pits.) Image #6 in this series..

http://homepage.mac.com/johnwilson1942/alpine/index.html

Steve

napa 1

Donation Time
I remember reading about this car when Norm first found it and talked about restoring it. I believe he is an automotive columnist for a Toronto Paper...or magazine? Anyway, I saved the following photos from a write-up that he did several years ago when he first brought the car home. This must be the car.

Attachments

• hobby1.jpg
    hobby1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 89
  • hobby2.jpg
    hobby2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 81

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
What is a car like this truly worth, yah I know it is an open ended question but I wonder how original everything is?

It sounds as if it is not the original engine for the car, the underside of the front clip is off the car and the rear fenders look like they need a pile of work. I worry about the underside when I see these things missing or needed attention.

Should the engine have a Le Mans printed rocker cover? :confused:

I think it would be a cool project but the money one would need to put into it.....well is $8500.00 too high?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Engine looks more like a 1725cc at least taking into account the exhaust manifold, dual Strombergs and the oil filler.

Perhaps fast but not original. 8500$ sounds like a lot of money for such a lot of work. However there may be some "goodies" included in the parts collection. Would be interesting to get some more pictures...

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Hi Bernd,
I have plenty of pics of the car but I think you want to know about the spare parts. I suggest you contact Norm, he has no time to read the Forum and answer your wishes.
You can't see from the outside if it's a 1592 or 1724. I happen to know the engine number and can tell you it's a 1592 even if it's not the original one.
As you perhaps notised during the past two years a couple of good restored Harringtons have been sold for $30K+. Compare it to the Tiger prices, very close.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Engine looks more like a 1725cc at least taking into account the exhaust manifold, dual Strombergs and the oil filler.

Perhaps fast but not original. 8500$ sounds like a lot of money for such a lot of work. However there may be some "goodies" included in the parts collection. Would be interesting to get some more pictures...
I asked for additional pictures, and the block is a 1600 (you can read the symbology on the side of the block that says 1600).
It is missing some rare HLM bits right off: valve cover & steering wheel. He has a Blue steering wheel badge, but on a red body??? Thats not right, the wheel badge follows the color of the body, as well as the seat piping.
The body has a lot of rust, rockers, bottoms of rear fenders; The floors look okay.
The complete front body work was removed for some reason (no reason given or known, I guess), but the job was never finished. It will take a lot of sheetmetal fitting & welding to finish. No front valance was seen.
Overall condition, in my opinion is rough, but with enough time & money, can be rebuilt (just like any other car in this condition).
Jan

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks for clarification guys. Was just wondering what sense it makes to put the worst carb setup ever (Strombergs) on a HLM. Anyhow this may be secret of previous ownership.

For the prices I´m somewhat aware about a recent increase for restored examples however for this "basket case" still feel a bit high. But everything depends on the parts coming with the deal. Still any additional pictures would be welcome.

To Ian: P.S. Always checking "pippen red" for progress on your project, but...

napa 1

Donation Time
I'd certainly like to see someone in the group buy this Le Mans so that it will be restored properly and we'll have yet another great example of this vehicle on the road. Bernd, any more garage space you can find near you for yet another Sunbeam?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
John,
Thats my concern too. That's why I did some background investigation on it and bring the info to our community.
Jan

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
John,

would love to buy it but garage space is getting a bit tight now as you can see from the picture. However still enough space available for some HLM bits and pieces ;)

Attachments

• Sunbeam__Garage_STsmall.jpg
    Sunbeam__Garage_STsmall.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 49

napa 1

Donation Time
I don't know, it looks like there's room to expand the garage, or build up. ;)looks like there's still a spot beside your white "workhorse" on the driveway

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
The "workhorse" is parked in another slot now. But the remaining space is a bit occupied recently since I bought 2 Hardtops recently (not shown in the picture). One for early & one for late series.

Anyhow, pls. let me know when you can get to CDN for checking the HLM lot ;)

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Steve,
If I remember correctly, Image #6 looks like turn #6 at Riverside. When I lived in Riverside back before they closed the track to build a shopping center, I used to get under the bleachers and get some good pictures of the NASCAR races.
I remember reading about this car when Norm first found it and talked about restoring it. I believe he is an automotive columnist for a Toronto Paper...or magazine? Anyway, I saved the following photos from a write-up that he did several years ago when he first brought the car home. This must be the car.