• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1961 Sebring Tribute Car Project Update

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Ian picked up the car this past Friday and took it back to his garage for the engine / gearbox installation. I gave him a load of parts and firm instructions to WAIT FOR ME because I wanted to be a part of the assembly process.

Well, the boy just can't help himself. How can you be mad when you have a friend like this? Still, I'm coming up next weekend to do my fair share.

Doesn't she look cool with the # 40 on the doors? She will make her debut at SUNI 5 and will be DRIVEN the entire way from Ohio.

Vrooom, vrooom......:D

Attachments

• DSC00075.JPG
    DSC00075.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 183

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
It looks good Scott! Sure-wait until all of us have left the Invasion and Ian's garage before starting to work on it....and I had my crowbars, big hammers, pipe wrenches and vice grips with me ready to help too. Eric

napa 1

Donation Time
Just found this thread Scott. Looks so great in paint with the 40 on the side. You're making great progress...I'm still trying to get mine into the paint shop!

John.

64beam

Donation Time
Looking great guys :cool: . It's all coming together nicely by the look of it. Please keep up the photos of its progress.

Regards, Robin.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Haven't posted photos in a while - here's one with the front end jewelry instealled. Those are NOS chrome headlight rims and they sure look awesome. Painted the front suspension components on Wednesday, so they'll be ready to be put together and hung on the crossmember. Got the stainless steel exhaust ready for installation as well as wire wheels and hubs. Things are coming together, but unfortunately it won't be ready for Invasion. :(

Attachments

• Sunbeam for web.jpg
    Sunbeam for web.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 103

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here's another front end shot

Not sure how to post multiple photos in one post.

Attachments

• Sunbeam 001 for web.jpg
    Sunbeam 001 for web.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 128

napa 1

Donation Time
Looks awesome Scott. Thanks for the update and pics. Inspiring me to get busy with the Harrington. :) Looks like a beautiful paint job.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hardtop Now Finished

Just picked up the modified hardtop today and stuck it in my front living room for the time being. The shop did a great job on fabricating the rear facing vent. Took them two attempts as the first cracked (they did not account for the slight curvature of the top).

Some of you may be wondering why the bottom edge is black - when the race team showed up at Sebring they discovered Florida was quite hot, and black hardtops were a bad idea. So they did a quickie vent job, masked off the back window, and spray painted the top white. Now you know why all three of the '61 Sebring cars have the bottom edge of the hardtops still painted black.

The car is coming together - front and rear suspension are almost complete and wire wheels and hubs are ready to be installed. Just waiting on the reproduction Microcell buckets to get finished.

Attachments

• Finished Sebring Hardtop 001.JPG
    Finished Sebring Hardtop 001.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Finished Sebring Hardtop 002.JPG
    Finished Sebring Hardtop 002.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 61

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Replica racing seats ready for pick up

Next Saturday I'll be picking up these beauties. They are exact copies of the seats the factory installed for the '62 Sebring cars - frames and all. You would also see versions of this style in Harringtons. It's unclear if they used these seats in the '61 Sebring team cars, but on close examination of the few photos we have it appears to be the case. The silver perforated material had to be custom made.

Can't wait to see them in the car.

Attachments

• resized seats.JPG
    resized seats.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 76

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here's a shot of the frames for the seats - definitely light weight.

Attachments

• resized seat frames.jpg
    resized seat frames.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 61

65beam

Donation Time
sebring car

scott,
are these seats the same as the ones in a lemans? they appear to be the same frame.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bob,

The seats are likely to be very similar to the LM ones as they were offered as an option in the HLM IIRC. They are replicas of the microcell seats. Though i in most of the HLM's i have seen they dont seem to have as curved top (vertcal) backrest.. but the base is the same.

65beam

Donation Time
sebring car

michael,
i hadn't zoomed in on the photos so i didn't notice the rounded back. it appears that everything else is pretty much the same as the lemans microcell seats. many years ago we made a couple sets of new frames using one of my seats as a pattern. the original frames are in my red car but i left most of the padding out of the back since the padding makes it very uncomfortable for me to drive. that's the reason for it not having the armrest either. they get in the way for me. were there any other changes made to the interior panels?