• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1961 Sebring Tribute Car Now Wedgewood Blue

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Just received some pix from the paint shop and the car is now in the correct #53 Wedgewood Blue. A few more details to take care of and she'll soon be in my garage for assembly. This is the rolling shell I bought from Bill Atalla and had transported from California.

If all goes well you'll see this car at Invasion, with about 75% of the work completed.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 98

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Looking good Scott!
If Jim S can't bring his car for us to put together, we can assemble yours.
Hopefully we won't scratch or dent that nice finish.............Eric

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey looks great Scott! Wedgewood is a great color. One day, hopefully in the near future, my S3GT(which is wedgewood) will look like that!
Cheers!
Steve

alpine_64

Donation Time
Scott,

Are you going to do the top mounted filler cap (not sure if its a daytona or monza style) on the rear wing? If so, you didnt want to do hte body mod before the painting?

65beam

Donation Time
wedgewood blue car

scott,
i noticed that the interior was covered when painted . did you not paint the interior the same color or was it painted earlier ? are you making this replica as close as possible to the original or are you making other changes to it ?

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Obviously I didn't post all the pictures so I understand some of the questions. The whole shell, interior and exterior, is Wedgewood Blue. They just painted the interior and exterior at different times. The mod for the fuel filler at the top of the wing was done before painting, and it's a large Monza cap that was fitted to all three of the cars.

When comparing the three from 1961 to the three from 1962 it's surprising how basic the '61 cars were - no roll cage, glass still in the doors, lap belts; even the ash tray was kept in the car because some of the drivers liked to smoke while driving! For '61 they just stripped out the interior, modified the fuel filler and trunk area, modified the hardtop with the rear-facing vent, and did some tweaking under the hood. The '62 cars were much more modified and would be more difficult to replicate. Luckily two of the three from '62 have been found, so I've been able to do some comparisons and get some hints from those cars for this restoration.

For the record, the Sunbeams were faster on the track than the MGs, but we lost the race in the pits. Sunbeam averaged over 5 minutes while MG averaged about a minute and a half. Over time that took its toll. Sunbeam was not prepared. The experience at Sebring did help them later in the year with Le Mans, but it wasn't until the next year that they got their act together and did much better in the pits at Sebring and Le Mans.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Just received some pix from the paint shop and the car is now in the correct #53 Wedgewood Blue. A few more details to take care of and she'll soon be in my garage for assembly. This is the rolling shell I bought from Bill Atalla and had transported from California.

If all goes well you'll see this car at Invasion, with about 75% of the work completed.
Nice Scott - very nice! I'm looking forward to seeing it in Ohio!

Armand4

Donation Time
Good lord, that thing is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous! I hope we'll be seeing plenty more pictures as the build progresses.

By the way, do you have pictures of the hardtop modification to allow the rear-facing vent? I think that might be a neat custom/ hot-rod tweak to any Alpine.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good lord, that thing is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous! I hope we'll be seeing plenty more pictures as the build progresses.

By the way, do you have pictures of the hardtop modification to allow the rear-facing vent? I think that might be a neat custom/ hot-rod tweak to any Alpine.

I do - I corresponded with Justin Harrington who has one of the original factory cars built for the 1962 Le Mans. He took good pictures and made up a detailed drawing for me of his original factory-modified hardtop. I haven't found any pictures of these hardtops being modified in this way prior to the
'61 Sebring race so I think it started at Sebring, and was carried out in the future in other endurance races such as Le Mans. I'll post the pix later, but you can see the modification in my autosignature. Basically just a rectangle cut towards the back, and a piece of aluminum created to form a slight cover over the hole - all in the interest of venting out the waves of heat no doubt experienced by the driver. These hardtops ran with no headliners.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
61 Tribute

Scott, your car looks great and the door fitment makes me want to cry when I look at mine; but I am not finished yet.My 62 started life as Wedgewood, now is white , but that may not be finished either.Did 61's come w/ the white hardtops?l
Hope you will keep posting pictures.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did 61's come w/ the white hardtops?l
Hope you will keep posting pictures.

No, all hardtops for Series I & II came in black, unless you had a special order situation. They hastily painted them white when they realized the hot Florida sun would make it miserable for the drivers. I say hasty because they didn't bother to paint the whole hardtop - if you look carefully at the pictures from the '61 race, the bottom edge of the hardtops are still in original black - a tough area to mask properly unless you take off the trim. So they painted the majority of the hardtop white and kept the bottom edge black. I'll be reproducing this little feature on my tribute car too.

I'm trying to post more pix today but keep getting an internal server error. I'll keep trying.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here's the promised pictures of the rear facing vent. As you'll see, it's not very complex - more function over form on this job.

Attachments

• Roof vent.1.jpg
    Roof vent.1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Roof vent.2.jpg
    Roof vent.2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 36

65beam

Donation Time
hardtop

scott,
i never gave much thought to the color of the hardtop, but the four that i have were all painted white .

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
scott,
i never gave much thought to the color of the hardtop, but the four that i have were all painted white .

Unusual coincidence I think, as the sales literature emphatically states "All Soft Tops and Hard Tops are Black". However, the "Custom Accessories" brochures that I have for the Series II state "Ask Your Dealer About a Color Match For Your Car" when referring to the hardtop. We know they came out of the factory black (unless special orderered a specific color).

You have four early Series hardtops painted white, or later Series hardtops?

65beam

Donation Time
hardtops

scott,
i have four early tops and three late series tops.the late models are all black .