• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1960 Alpine Racecar.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Forum,

While surfing the sunbeam world wide net, I came across www.race-cars.com where there was a nice little 1960 series 1 Alpine racer that had been sold. Looks very nice from the photo's, does anyone know if it has any history?

Regards, Robin.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
If it was the one in the sold section then it was Carl Mclellen's old Alpine.
He sold it to Andy Walker.

Nice car. I think Andy has just started to get it out at events within the last year or so.

Steve

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Re: 1960 Alpine race car

Hi, Robin:

As per usual, when it comes to the whereabouts of any Alpine race cars, Steve is right on the mark. The car you are referring to is indeed mine. I bought it from Carl McLelland in 2/04 and have been racing/building it ever since (well, actually more building than racing...).

The pictures that you've seen on race-cars.com are very old and outdated now. I run the car with a vintage group based in Texas called CVAR (Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing) and their rules are evidently more strict when it comes to car prep than the group that Carl used to race with. When I got the car, it had a 1725 in it which, of course, was not available when that car was built. It now has a mildly hot 1600 in it, which is allowable per the rules of my group. I'm also required to run a full interior so I took the opportunity to completely restore the interior while I was rebuilding the motor and restoring the engine compartment. If I do say so myself, I've really ended up with a very nice race car. In fact, I suspect that if I showed it next to my Tiger, the Alpine would probably win!!

As far as history goes, the car was converted from a neglected street car to a semi-race car by Carl back in about 1998. I bought it from him in 2004 and have taken it the rest of the way; it is now a non-street legal total racer. I don't know how to post pics on this forum or else I would post some. If you would like pics of it, send me your e-mail address and I'll send the latest I have to you.

Thanks for inquiring about my car,
Andy Walker

64beam

Donation Time
Thanks Andy & Steve for the replies. It's always good to see an Alpine saved for what ever the reason. Andy, I will PM you my email.

Regards, Robin.