• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725cc pulley

SeriesVtime

Donation Time
I'm looking to reduce (I've given up on eliminating) the oil leaks from my 1725cc Series V. I pulled the pulley and the portion that goes through the timing chain cover is rather chewed up. What's odd is the cover appears fine. But all of that aside, if you've got a pulley that's in reasonable shape, please contact me.

Thanks!
Jeff

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If in fact your pulley is in good shape, and the keyway section is not cracked, your pulley would be a good candidate for the front oil seal modification.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Probably all you need is the O-ring that goes on the inside of the front cover. I never experienced oil leaks from the pulley, except if you have high crankcase pressure

steven

Donation Time
If you go to qldsunbeam.org you will find, in the parts area a Mr Rootes guy John Harris who makes a replacement cover with a new seal that stops oil leaks. With the $US to AU$ rate it may be a bargain.
Regards Steven

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Front oil seal

Ahh... please tell me more.... (or provide me a url)

I can provide you with the information along with pictures if you to do the mod. I have done 4 of them for other club members and after you do one, it is not a big deal. A number of guys on the forum have this information and have also gone ahead with the mod on their cars.

If you would like the information and pictures just give me a PM.

Even if our front balancer has a little ware it can still be used, as you need to install a sleeve on it to match up with the new timing cover seal.

Regards,
Andrew

SeriesVtime

Donation Time
Hi Jan, Andrew, Racer, thanks for your help. I found a replacement pulley that's in much better condition. I'd be happy to take a picture and post it. After reading Jan's post regarding the rubber seal behind inside the timing chain cover, I suspect that that may also be part of the problem. I'll be taking the cover off in the next few days and plan on replacing it too.

Thanks again!!

Jeff

mikephillips

Donation Time
Make sure the outside edge of the oil slinger isn't bent too. It's supposed to ride up against, but not touching, the rubber O ring inside the cover. If you replace the O ring, put a light smear of oil on the side facing the slinger as well so it doesn't grab and possbly damagae it during the initial startup.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you go to qldsunbeam.org you will find, in the parts area a Mr Rootes guy John Harris who makes a replacement cover with a new seal that stops oil leaks. With the $US to AU$ rate it may be a bargain.
Regards Steven

FYI, the Australian website is hosed up... but if you want to see their offering I found it here:

http://www.qld.sunbeam.org.au/For Sale.htm

They list a modified cover and pulley for AU$200 which is around US$157. Seems a pretty good deal, but don't forget shipping.