• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 Series V Head.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Speaking of VB

My experience with them is that the people that you speak to on the phone don't know anything
about your car or the part you want to buy. It's been pointed out before that their share British market is
very small as they focus more on truck parts ( probably more profitable for them too!) so the probably
don't care as much as we might want them to.

I have such a mental block for them that when MG & Triumph guy tell me they got parts for their
cars from them, I automatically cringe! I have to say that some of the other ( MG ,Triumph)
parts don't look that bad, but then I don't know them as well as Sunbeams.

Just my 2cents!
Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought oil plug washers from them on two different occasions and both times they sent me small nylon washers. I don't know what they were supposed to fit, but custom service refunded my money and told me to just keep them. I still have them somewhere and someday I will find a use for them. But, since then, I just add a handful of copper washers to anything I buy from SS and so far have not run out.

I will say, their saving grace is a very good customer service department, or at least it was the last time I bought something.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Once I put the fan blade on and turned the pump, this is a new water pump, there's a "rub". When I turn the fan blade, there's a definite rub every rotation. Not a squeak, like the impeller is rubbing on a piece of casting or something. I know it will be just that, and probably a file or a bit of sand paper will take car of it, but Arghhhh…

Jim,

I had my aluminum replacement water pump from Sunbeam Specialties apart recently. It has a plastic impeller that has a raised edge surface. It appears that raised edge on the impeller was making contact with the backing plate, or it had made contact in the past. If you have the same water pump, it could be the impeller rubbing against the backing plate. I expect it will sort itself out shortly after use. The gasket thickness and using a gasket sealant could change whether the impeller makes contact with the backing plate.

upload_2020-4-21_15-49-25.png

You can see the grooves well in the backing plate in this photo.

upload_2020-4-21_15-51-12.png

Mike

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Yeah, they may be closed. Never know, or maybe the quality control department is not open. Hmmm. Wonder when it is>:)

Thanks for the photos Mike, yeah, possibly that' happening. Let ya know when I get it apart.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
OK, report on the "uh-hem" Victoria British water pump. It's cast iron, I've used them a few times. Never a problem. During manufacturing, there's a milled surface, maybe 1/16 at the most. The impeller sits down in that surface, and in this case it was rubbing (very slightly) on the impeller at every rotation. I never noticed it until the fan blade was installed. Water pump 2.jpg
I was able to put a piece of 600 grit in between the milled area and the impeller. It took about 10 rotations for it to take enough off to stop rubbing. Now what will heat do to the expansion? Most likely not much. And it probably would wear off very quickly.