• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 Oil Pump

CptTom

Donation Time
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1725 motor. I ordered and received a new oil pump from Sunbeam Specialties. Problem is the new pump has 11 teeth on the gear that meshes with the cam. The old oil pump has a gear with 12 teeth. I'm waiting for Sunbeam Specialties to get back to me but in the meantime any feedback from anyone who has experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

CptTom

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
1725 Oil Pump

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1725 motor. I ordered and received a new oil pump from Sunbeam Specialties. Problem is the new pump has 11 teeth on the gear that meshes with the cam. The old oil pump has a gear with 12 teeth. I'm waiting for Sunbeam Specialties to get back to me but in the meantime any feedback from anyone who has experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

CptTom

CptTom,

The pump drive gear and camshaft must have matching numbers of gear teeth - 11 and 11 or 12 and 12. The different gears do not mesh and will cause damage if they are installed together and rotated.

HTH

pruyter

Donation Time
I will confirm that 1725 cc engines have 11 teeth while the 1592 cc engine has 12 teeth, so the new pump you received from Sunbeam Specialties is the right one. If your engine is really an original 1725 cc engine than it should not be possible that you have an oil pump with 12 teeth.

Regards,

Peter

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Check with Rick first that he's sent you the right pump...I've received the wrong parts more then once myself.

... David

pruyter

Donation Time
If an oilpump for a genuine 1725 cc engine is ordered from Sunbeam Specialties than the right one is sent (11 teeth), so checking out if SS has sent the right parts is to no use at all!
If in your engine, which you say is a 1725 cc engine, a 12 teeth pump is needed
than it lookes like a 1592 camshaft is installed.

Regards,

Peter

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks for the info Peter ... didn't know you could swap out the 1725 cam for the 1592's ... What would the benefit/possible reason be for such a swap.

..... David

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
The benefit is the retention and operation of the mechanical tachometer in the earlier series cars. The early style drive gear for use with the mechanical tach is slightly longer than the later style drive gear. Actually, the mechanical tach style drive gear is slightly longer than any standard length drive gear that does not drive a tach. In other words, an oil pump drive gear from a S IV 1600 would not be long enough to engage the drive dogs on an earlier series mechanical tach drive distributor.

The other possibility is that someone who previously worked on the engine replaced a defective part with non correct but functional part they had on hand. The only thing you really have to be aware of is to ensure a camshaft for an iron head engine is not installed under an alloy head ( or vice versa ) due to different valve order layouts.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Don .... Should I assume the cam profiles are the same or close? or is the earlier cam a little more robust?

... David

*** sorry ... didn't mean to hi-jack the thread ... just info "Hungry":D

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Don .... Should I assume the cam profiles are the same or close? or is the earlier cam a little more robust?

... David

*** sorry ... didn't mean to hi-jack the thread ... just info "Hungry":D

David,

If the cams are stock, the 1725 alloy head cam is the most "robust". If the cam has been reground, it could be fairly different from stock.

Try this link and scroll down to page 30 to check out the cam info that Jan compiled.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/alpine_marque/issue_7

CptTom

Donation Time
Thanks for the feedback on this issue. Apparently I have a 1725 block which at some point had a 1.6 camshaft installed. At this point I think I must go in search of a correct 1725 camshaft and try to get this motor fitted with the correct parts.