• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 lifters

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm in the midst of changing seals on the engine and transmission. The lifters came out when I rolled the engine over on the engine stand this afternoon. Mistake I know, as now I have no idea which bore they go into.
That said, I noticed four of the lifters have a notch on the outer top edge. I have attached photos. Any help as to
whether this is normal, or what may be the cause, will be appreciated.IMG_2191.JPG IMG_2192.JPG

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've never seen such a notch, and I have no idea why it would be there, but I can't see how it would do any harm. More to the point, how are the contact surfaces of the lifters? Pitted? Scored? If so, send them to Delta to get them resurfaced and re-parkerized.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Those look like chips to me. If the bottoms where they sit on the cam is not con-caved from wear and the sides are true, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Did you notice any tiny bits on the floor that may indicate it happened when they fell out? (Assuming you have a concrete floor)

Last edited:

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Lifters are still very flat on the bottom and not pitted. the 4 that have the notch or chip all have basically the same flaw.
I'll check my spares to see if I have any to swap out.
With not knowing now which cylinders and valves they belong to, would you suggest a light honing of the bores?
Not overly familiar with Parkerizing, so id did a Google search.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Those lifters came from victoria british, I bought some just like them years ago and returned them due to the pits.
The pits are likely from dropping during processing them after the heat treat process which hardens them.
The bottoms are not flat, they are convex (if they are not warn out), the convex shape is what causes them to rotate.
Put 2 together face to face, and you will see they are not flat.
Since you already own them, I would carefully stone the area where the pits are so the bores dont get scuffed.
If the faces are grooved or pitted, do not reuse them otherwise they should be fine.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Yep lost count of the number of lifters I've seen with those chips and I'm down under. Don't know if it's manufacturing but never seen any ill effects.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Ended up ordering 8 new lifters from Curt at Classic Sunbeam. One of them was badly pitted on the face and two were showing face wear, so wouldn't be rotating. I figured the cost of new would be less than machine shop time.