• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 FAN

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Started today to begin the 1725 removal for rebuild. Noticed the engine fan is cracked, so replacement will be required. I'm thinking about going electric, and mounting in front of the radiator, between the badge bar and rad. Just seems a little safer to me to have it out of the way. That said any suggestions would be welcome.
I'll need a fan that pushes rather than pulls air through the rad. Mounting bars can be easily fab'd.
Something fairly current that could be had at an auto wreckers or decent aftermarket.
Thanks bob

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Started today to begin the 1725 removal for rebuild. Noticed the engine fan is cracked, so replacement will be required. I'm thinking about going electric, and mounting in front of the radiator, between the badge bar and rad. Just seems a little safer to me to have it out of the way. That said any suggestions would be welcome.
I'll need a fan that pushes rather than pulls air through the rad. Mounting bars can be easily fab'd.
Something fairly current that could be had at an auto wreckers or decent aftermarket.
Thanks bob

Way to go, I've had a pusher elec fan in front of the radiator for nearly 10years on my Series 1, never had a problem.

Living down under I frequently have temperatures in the high 30s (C) and even with street parades it doesn't overheat, I might add the original fan was removed.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks mate, from the opposite side of the world from you, but summers in Canada can also get into the 30's. I suppose you got the largest diamiter possible that would fit the space?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If they made one that didn't switch on having sound that drowns a purring motor that'd be nice. Variable speed and reversing would be really nice as well so you could suck the heat out of the engine bay when parked. Doing this would slow the annoying vaporization of fuel in the carburetor. Ask the Mrs about that cologne you are wearing when you come out of the garage.... Eu di Benzina....
Certainly not one of her favorites :)

Sorry for the topic drift. Not sure what they were thinking and why a four blade fan was ok for a 1725, 260, 289, etc.

Last edited:

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Lots of fans available on e-bay. I would expect a decent fan would cost more than the ones I see. Mostly in the 30 to 70 dollar range and not much description. Some are reversible. If anyone has experience with these Chinese fans, let me know.
bob

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Noticed the engine fan is cracked, so replacement will be required.
Well, just replace it...LoL! Electric fans aren't necessary (especially electric fans made in china). I never had a cooling problem with the Alpines. If you do, it's probably the radiator needs recored and/or the engine block needs to be flushed out.
Jan

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've removed more electric fans from Alpines and replaced them with the stock fans for exactly the same reasons
Jan mentions. They just make one more thing that can go wrong and are not necessary for an Alpine

I had a very nice Series V in the shop that the owner said was running hot. We cleaned the radiator and
flushed the block......full of "mud" and silt from when the engine was originally built.
If you haven't done these things, you should. Oh yeah, don't forget the heater core!
Cheers!
Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
So, one installs a 30amp electric radiator fan...then discovers the original generator only supplies 15amps, so one buys a 100A GM alternator and hours & hours to make custom mounts. Gee, a $50 fan blade (car repaired in 30 mins) turns into a $150 solution and takes hours & hours?...I don't get it? I think the scope of the repair got-out-of-hand?
Jan

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks mate, from the opposite side of the world from you, but summers in Canada can also get into the 30's. I suppose you got the largest diamiter possible that would fit the space?

Actually I didn't go to a lot of effort, found a 12" fan at a swap meet for $10, bought a sensor controller and installed the bits, works fine.

Sorry about the pic, but it's the best I could do.

Attachments

• 20210104_151938.jpg
    20210104_151938.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 48

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
So, one installs a 30amp electric radiator fan...then discovers the original generator only supplies 15amps, so one buys a 100A GM alternator and hours & hours to make custom mounts. Gee, a $50 fan blade (car repaired in 30 mins) turns into a $150 solution and takes hours & hours?...I don't get it? I think the scope of the repair got-out-of-hand?
Jan

Well Jan to each his own. My story didn't go quite like that, as you can see I spent $10 on the fan, probably $20 on the controller and spent about an hour setting it up; in 10 years I haven't had a problem.

Still running the original S1 generator and haven't encountered a flat battery. In practice I monitor the Amp meter, particularly in hot weather and most often only see it load up at traffic lights or crawling along in city driving, under these conditions the temp holds around 190 but once in clear air gets back to about 180 and the Amp meter shows the fan cutting out.

What I do know is that the radiator and thermostat are both in very good condition and obviously this plays a big part in avoiding trouble, or maybe I'm just very lucky.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
As mentioned in my first post, the reason to replace, is the original sunbeam fan is cracked. I understand this to be a fairly common issue. no problem with overheating. Just thinking the electric fan would avoid the search for another Sunbeam fan. My series V should have no issue with running an electric.
I do appreciate all the input. Thanks,
Bob

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Do what you want, of course.

Instead of searching for another original Alpine fan, you can go for an aftermarket mechanical replacement. Then you won't be concerned with the fan blades breaking off and shooting through the hood. I don't know any specific direct replacement fan part numbers, but I suspect other folks have some. Way simpler and more reliable than switching to an electric fan.

Mike

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
have the winter to work on this, as I only noticed the cracked fan while starting engine/tranny removal for rebuild.
Thanks
Bob

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
As mentioned in my first post, the reason to replace, is the original sunbeam fan is cracked. I understand this to be a fairly common issue.
It is a common issue with the later fans, but the earlier ones are supposed to be much less prone to breaking. I put a SII fan on my SV about 20 years ago, just to be safe and so far it has not let me down.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I also put a SII fan on my SV, that's been there since 1994, but not until after SV fan blades had twice put a hole in exactly the same spot of the bonnet, two years apart. The 2nd one happening near Boise, ID on the way to Wisconsin for SUNI II.