• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 and a T5

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just musing if its within the comfortable realm of not too tough or impossible ( nothing is that impossible ) to mate up a T5 transmission to the 1725.
If doable what might be involved?
I had picked up a ford V6 and T5 to swap into my SV, but have decided with all thats on my plate right now the conversion isn't going to happen. So I'm rebuilding the 1725 and the transmission swap crossed my mind at
3 am this morning. If it can be done, would there be any benefit to the final drive?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Just musing if its within the comfortable realm of not too tough or impossible ( nothing is that impossible ) to mate up a T5 transmission to the 1725.
If doable what might be involved?
I had picked up a ford V6 and T5 to swap into my SV, but have decided with all thats on my plate right now the conversion isn't going to happen. So I'm rebuilding the 1725 and the transmission swap crossed my mind at
3 am this morning. If it can be done, would there be any benefit to the final drive?

Its been done, Brian Holm has a turbo 1725 with T5 and 8.8 ford axle.

The T5 is going to require a lot of hacking to fit into the alpine trans tunnel.
T5s have good ratios available but its built for a lot more power so the parasitic losses will be high compared to the stock transmission.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I looked into the posibilities of such a swap many years ago. It is my recollection that the 3.8 Mustang T5 input shaft is long enough that by making a 3/4" thick adapter plate that goes between the T5 and the Alpine bell, they will bolt together and the input shaft length works out just fine. The Ford pilot spigot is smaller than an Alpines, so the pilot bushing would be an easily solved problem. No recollection as to the clutch plate issue.

Bill

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I'll line up the T-5 with the engine and bellhousing once I get the engine and tranny out for overhaul.
see how it looks. But it's still just a passing thought. Likely stick with stock.
Bob

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Type 9, you really dont want a T9, its a big non-sync truck transmission.

Type 9s are pretty rare in the US since the only car that came with them were early XR4Tis.
Moss Motors was selling them for MGs it was Fords first 5 speed, the one I had for my Cortina was about the same size at a stock Alp tranny
I don't think its the truck tranny

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Type 9 (also, Type N, T9, or T-9) is a gearbox from Ford that was used in Ford Capri 1.6, 2.0 1984 onwards, Capri 2.8 1983 onwards, Ford Sierra 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, Sierra XR4i, Sierra XR4x4 2.8 and the Scorpio 4x4 as well as the US market Merkur XR4Ti and Merkur Scorpio.

The Type 9 was Ford's first five-speed, rear-wheel-drive gearbox, and it is based on the four-speed Type E gearbox. The fifth, or overdrive gear, was added to the four-speed gearbox by placing it in the extension housing or tailshaft housing. This made production easier and cheaper but effectively limited torque capacity to 200 lb. ft. or so.

The Type 9 is a popular choice for five-speed conversions of older cars and also for kit car builders, since it comes with a separate bell housing so it can be easily swapped around. Engines that were originally in FWD layouts are fitted to these transmissions so that they can go into a RWD layout, as in a hot rod engine swap or kit car. The gearbox has a 1-inch-diameter (25 mm) 23-spline input shaft, and the main gear housing is cast iron with a cast aluminum tailshaft housing.

Overall, the T-9 is an excellent transmission for vehicles with lower power levels and lighter weight. However, in applications that require more power, the T-9 is frequently replaced with the stronger Borg-Warner T-5 transmission.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Moss Motors was selling them for MGs it was Fords first 5 speed, the one I had for my Cortina was about the same size at a stock Alp tranny
I don't think its the truck tranny
Ford calls them type 9 or type n.
Moss must have imported them from England where they are plentiful, they are not so plentiful here.
Ford actually had a 5 speed in 1980 that was used for a brief time in the Fox Turbo mustang. It was the predecessor to the type 9 and based on the pinto single rail transmission. It had a 10 spline input shaft identical to what we use in the alpine. Totally crap ratios though.

T9 was a transmission made by borg-warner in the late 40s that was the predecessor to the T10 top loader. It was a big assed truck transmission.
Any transmission with a "T" prefix is going to be a Tremec/Borg-Warner transmission.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Ahh Same name for multiple products there T9 i purchased from Moss was $850 at the time, about 10 years ago........
Now lives in Salt Lake City and going in a TRV!