• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 Aluminum Oil Pan

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Id have to check with some Rootes people.. But i don't think the alloy head 1725 vogues and hunters in AU and NZ ran coolers and i know they didn't use alloy sumps

Michael,

While you're checking, here's a tidbit for your consideration. The only Arrow range car that ever passed through my hands was in the early '70's. It was an estate car titled as a '69. We know what the title year situation is here in the States. I don't think I have the serial number. I acquired this car for a pittance and towed it home because of a crack in the block - horizontal, immediately below the GENERATOR(dynamo) mount. At the time, I didn't know about the problem with early 1725 blocks being susceptible to cracking in that location. This transaction occurred in mid winter following a very cold stretch of weather for this area - F* teens IIRC - so it was presumed the crack was due to lack of antifreeze. It was hauled home with the expectations of being able to harvest a lot parts for spares. :) :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: So much for that idea.

This example presents a couple of anomalies against info about Arrow range cars. The already mentioned generator and it had an ALLOY sump. The presence of the dynamo was definitely unexpected in that late a car. I checked the wiring harness for cuts, splices, and other modifications. I found none and all the wiring matched in appearance. The conclusion is that the dynamo came as standard equipment. The engine was the iron head, single carb unit. At the time, I thought all Arrow range 1725's had an alloy sump. Guess what, I'm not sure the alloy sump will fit the Husky because of how the engine is mounted forward and somewhat over the cross member without some modification. Do you know of anyone who has installed an alloy pan in a Minx, Rapier, or Husky?

alpine_64

Donation Time
70hp engines a make a lot less heat than 92hp engines.
Hey Jarrid, agreed but the Hunter GT in au had the twin Stromberg alloy head 1725 per the alpine and the vogue the compound solex alloy head motor..

Will see what i can find out.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
, I thought all Arrow range 1725's had an alloy sump. Guess what, I'm not sure the alloy sump will fit the Husky because of how the engine is mounted forward and somewhat over the cross member without some modification. Do you know of anyone who has installed an alloy pan in a Minx, Rapier, or Husky?

Do you mean the audux range rapier?

alpine_64

Donation Time
So some confirmation...
The vogue sport was a 1592 alloy head single solex.. No 1725 offered

The hunter GT here was the alpine spec 1725 allpy head twin 150CD motor... No cooler no alloy sump.

The rapier fastback in AU was the same 1725 alloy head GT motor...No cooler no alloy sump.

The iron head 1725 hunters here...no cooler no alloy sump.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We don't have oil coolers on either of the Series IV or V that we own, both have normal tin sump. We use our cars regularly covering up to 15,000 miles a year per car including touring Europe in the summer when the cars can get properly hot. Both have had the horn cut outs sealed to change air flow through the rad.
We have never had overheating problems or any issues due to lack of an oil cooler. As stated above the ali head tuned Hunter's that Rootes made in the 1970s didn't have oil coolers or alloy sumps and the engines were very similar. If I had an unused oil cooler knocking around I would fit it but I would not go out of my way to find one or worry if I didn't have one. The Series V has been like that since 1983 with no problem.

Tim R

alpine_64

Donation Time
We don't have oil coolers on either of the Series IV or V that we own, both have normal tin sump. We use our cars regularly covering up to 15,000 miles a year per car including touring Europe in the summer when the cars can get properly hot. Both have had the horn cut outs sealed to change air flow through the rad.
We have never had overheating problems or any issues due to lack of an oil cooler. As stated above the ali head tuned Hunter's that Rootes made in the 1970s didn't have oil coolers or alloy sumps and the engines were very similar. If I had an unused oil cooler knocking around I would fit it but I would not go out of my way to find one or worry if I didn't have one. The Series V has been like that since 1983 with no problem.

Tim R
Tim a slight correction to your statement, the performance motors.. Holbay h120/GLS had the alloy sump and cooler.
The US spec alpines ( rapier fastback) had the alloy sump.
I know the USA has warmer climbates than UK....but Australia is a hot country and would have been a simiar climatic consideration.

Aa for the temps.. Jarris is specifically referring to the 1725 giving the oil a hard time and runnimg it hot... Not water temps or overheating.

That said the 1725 had a longer service interval iirc....

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Michael, yes you are correct. Obviously it is nice too have an oil cooler. I simply wanted to point out that it isn't the end of the World if you don't have one on a road going Alpine. It won't make much practical difference. If you are racing or in a very hot climate it will be different.

Tim R

pruyter

Donation Time
I owned in the early seventies a '68 Rapier Fastback and I remember clearly that this car had a alu sump . The country in which I live, The Netherlands, is not exactly a hot weather country!

Regards,

Peter

Mike Broome

Silver Level Sponsor
I ran an alloy sump on my 1725 and a pair of small Mocal oil coolers either side of the starting handle slot. I also fitted a Mocal thermostat unit which ensures that the oil only goes through the oil cooler when it reaches the set temperature. Combine with a good radiator and cleaned out block of casting sand and crud which collects around the rear pot, which is accessed through the core plugs should ensure overheating is a thing of the past.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
More horsepower = more heat.

The cast-iron head models put out about 20 fewer HP. The Arrow Range, aluminum head 1725's were also rated a few (4 or 5?) less HP than the Series V. I'm guessing that's why Rootes initially thought they could get away with no provision for an oil cooler on the Arrow Range.

alpine_64

Donation Time
More horsepower = more heat.

The cast-iron head models put out about 20 fewer HP. The Arrow Range, aluminum head 1725's were also rated a few (4 or 5?) less HP than the Series V. I'm guessing that's why Rootes initially thought they could get away with no provision for an oil cooler on the Arrow Range.
On the HP ratings... The later 1725s were measured with a more honest and accurate ( representative) system..

Late 60s the mfg's started rating the motors with auxiliaries attached and iirc more representative engine bay conditions.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The Arrow Range 1725's were still likely a few horses short of the Series V's 'cause of the narrower intakes. Wouldn't surprise me if the CDSE's also somehow knocked off a fraction of a horse. Anyone ever compare the Alpine GT fastback cam specs vs Series V?

alpine_64

Donation Time
The Arrow Range 1725's were still likely a few horses short of the Series V's 'cause of the narrower intakes. Wouldn't surprise me if the CDSE's also somehow knocked off a fraction of a horse. Anyone ever compare the Alpine GT fastback cam specs vs Series V?

The hunter GT cam spec was the same as the SV alpines iirc.