• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1600cc Main bearing cap washers...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Actually never paid much attention to it, but during the currently ongoing 3 bearing 1600cc rebuild I stumbled over plain and spring washers being used on the screws to secure the main caps. Actually the front cap used a pair of plain while center and rear used spring washers which I regard wrong.
The spares manual says 4 spring and 2 plain washers were used. The 2 plain ones supposedly on the center cap. Anybody having a clue ?

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Actually never paid much attention to it, but during the currently ongoing 3 bearing 1600cc rebuild I stumbled over plain and spring washers being used on the screws to secure the main caps. Actually the front cap used a pair of plain while center and rear used spring washers which I regard wrong.

The spares manual says 4 spring and 2 plain washers were used. The 2 plain ones supposedly on the center cap. Anybody having a clue ?

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, does "spring washer" refer to a helical spring washer (aka, split lock washer) as shown in this picture?

upload_2020-8-30_11-10-59.jpeg

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The problem with any "lock washer" is that they inevitably mar the surfaces on either side of the lock washer.

I can't find any written reference in WSM-124 to washers of any kind on the main bearing cap bolts, but close inspection of the various engine drawings in Section B (Engine) clearly shows something between the bolt heads and the main bearing caps.

The two end bearing housings are similar to each other in terms of physical and vibration loads and different from the center bearing housing, so using one type of washers on the end bearing cap bolts and a different type of washers on the center bearing cap bolts seems to have some logic.

Is there a "Rootes engine rebuild" manual that might provide some clarification?