• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1600 engine help

PETER CLAYTON

Donation Time
Does anyone have any information on upgrading std. 1600s to hartwell/harrington status? looking for flywheel lightening ,con-rod head mods. etc

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I wrote a two-part article for the club's newsletter on building a Harrington 1600 engine. Major difference is the lightened flywheel & jetting (150 mains I think).
The newsletters are on-line, I can't remember exact what issue they were in.
Jan

Limey

Donation Time
Does anyone have any information on upgrading std. 1600s to hartwell/harrington status? looking for flywheel lightening ,con-rod head mods. etc

Hi Peter,

Like you I want to have built an engine to Hartwell specs but am not in any way knowledgable to this level. I'll stick with the Zeniths (good enough fo Le Mans)

I hope to give the info to an engine tuner to do the work.

Much is documented re flywheel etc. What I want to clarify are:-

1) Distributor - advance; dwell; weights and distributor type
2) Carbs - 150 jets but any other mods?
3) Cam - specs such as lift, duration etc

Have you any info on the above anyone?

Oliver

PETER CLAYTON

Donation Time
Camshafts

Check out the info on SAOC site, the explation regarding valve timing & overlap by Major Ed Spin ( Camshafts & understanding the numbers) is very good. P.