1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

1592 race cam?

Discussion in 'Rootes Racing' started by RootesRooter, Jul 9, 2019.

1. RootesRooter

RootesRooter Donation Time

The fellow I was inquiring for is looking at improving his vintage racer, so he's looking for more than just "road-going."

There used to be tales of a possibly mythical "Swedish cam" that was extremely radical and put out gobs of power in a 1592, but was still streetable. Anybody else ever hear of it?

2. sunalp

sunalp Gold Level Sponsor

If I recall correctly, in Chris McGoverns "Alpine, the classic Sunbeam" there is mention of Bernard Unett, a well known rally
    driver that ran a Swedeish square topped cam. It goes on to say that when the car wasn't racing, his wife used it to go
    shopping. According to the book, the cam made "gobs" of power , and extra 10 hp!

Cheers!
    Steve

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  3. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

Bernd ive read a few theories about the same... And use and drivability should always be forefront of cam selection... A dyno chart is great if you drive on a rolling road :p

The worked 1600 i have has a very aggressive cam that does little bellow 3200...but its for track use so its tractibility in traffic and from low revs is not really relevant

4. bernd_st

bernd_st Bronze Level Sponsor

Would be interesting to do some comparative Dyno sessions , i.e. cams with different timings vs. cams with increased lifts. I would almost bet that a good 275┬░cam like the 1725cc with increased lift would give the optimum output with street driveability :)

5. Bill Blue

Bill Blue Diamond Level Sponsor