• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1592 Oil Drain Plug

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Anyone know where I can obtain a drain plug for the oil pan on a 1592 engine? The one on my series 4 motor has a badly damaged head that requires a Vice-Grips to remove. I have ordered these from Victoria British and Sunbeam Specialties and neither fit. No surprise on the VB, but SS listing just the one part number would indicate they are the same for all motors. I am not finding this to be so, at least with the collection of stuff I have here. In fact, I have 3 different plugs that don't fit the 1592 and none of the three look anything like the one on my series 4 motor or series 3 motor. And the one on my series 5 motor is different from the 1592.

Photos of the damaged one I have are below in addition to series 3 and series 5 examples. On the series 4 1592, there is a recession that the plug goes down into. Not so on the series 5. It has a larger head. On the series 3 motor, the bolt head apparently uses a Allen wrench to remove. Any insight appreciated.
Thanks
Rick

Series 4, 3, 5

P1150982r.jpg P1150984r.jpg P1150986r.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
All of the 1592 engines that I have require the use of the allen wrench to remove the plug.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
For a magnetic plug alternative, go PacificTigerClub.com and look for Jeff Keyser's tech tip in the March/April 2018 Newsletter.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Rick,

I have put the later drain plugs on 1592's without an issue. In fact my current 1592 has one on it
(was that way when I got it) and it works fine. I'll have a look around and see what I've got. I have
a 1592 pan in the attic. I'll check what it has and get back to you later.
Cheers!
Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The engine block uses two of the same plugs, so could get them off an old engine. Like Bob mentioned, the only ones I have seen, use an allen wrench
Jan