• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

15 inch wheels / 1962 sunbeam

Spoo 2

Silver Level Sponsor
Does any one know if 15 inch wheels would fit my 1962 series 2 alpine ? I have 13 X6.5 on now but would like to go bigger. Plus what width of tire is allowed ?
I'm also getting conflicting answers if I can buy new 15 inch centre mount knock off wheels or not. Where to buy in Canada ?
Thanks
Geoff

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes Somewhere I have the offset specs, maybe on the Forum somewhere
Im running 15x6 front and 15 x 7 rear

BD

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am running Yokohama S-drive 185/55-15 on 15x6 25mm off-set rims in front and 205/50-15 on 15x7 20mm off-set in the rear. With this combo the sidewall size is the same front and rear. My rear wheel wells are rolled and my rear axle is 51.75" flange to flange, my is a Mazda RX7 rear axle.
IMG_3718-L.jpg

IMG_3730-L.jpg

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I put together a Series II for a customer and he put the same wheels as I have on my Series V, 15 x 61/2 Rotas,
similar to what Toyanvil has on his. There were no fitment issues.

Cheers!
Steve

Spoo 2

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for reply. Still not clear if I can buy 15 inch knock off wheels ( Mag style ) for my series 2. I run with 13 inch tires now andI just want bigger wheels in the original knock off style for my series 2. If I have to modify the wheel wells or change to lug nut then I will stick with my 13 inch wheels.
Could some one explain offset specs, as well. Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thanks for reply. Still not clear if I can buy 15 inch knock off wheels ( Mag style ) for my series 2. I run with 13 inch tires now andI just want bigger wheels in the original knock off style for my series 2. If I have to modify the wheel wells or change to lug nut then I will stick with my 13 inch wheels.
Could some one explain offset specs, as well. Thanks
You can get knock on minilites for a tr4/5 but check spline size.. Alpine shares splines with 13/14" mg spridget/ mgb spline count

67BEAMR

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes Somewhere I have the offset specs, maybe on the Forum somewhere
Im running 15x6 front and 15 x 7 rear

BD
Doesn't much matter as you don't intend to drive it. Lbooks are for show. Driveability is stock Alpine set up. 4 wheel controlled drifts at 55mph. 360 spins in lane and such at 55 also.

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
I changed my original wheels on my Series 2 '61 for 15-inch Panasport Minilite type mags with 15x6 in the front and 15x7 in the back, and I can notice a great improvement in the ride. I did have to put spacers in the back because of the lugs on the brake drum but this was a minor job at my local machine shop.
The wheels were available from different speed shops in the Montreal region, but I ended up saving money by ordering from Sports & Classics in Stamford, CT and having them delivered to a US depot in Champlain NY, where I picked them up. Mine are not knock off wheels but if you can find suitable wheels, the size is not an issue with our cars.

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
Sorry about that, but I don't want to mislead you...I just reread my post and in fact, my new wheels and tires are 14 inches and not 15 inches, with 14x6 tires in the front and 14x7 in the rear.

jfcroni

Donation Time
Has anyone gone with Sunbeam Specialties LAT 70 15” x 6 ½” TYPE WHEELS & SPINNERS. If so... any suggestions on tires? I'm thinking I want to fill the well a little more.

Jeffrey.Sweeney

Donation Time
As someone wondering the same question, did you find a suitable wheel with the correct spline count. And if so, can you share what you ended up going with?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I fitted wide wheels and tyres to an Alpine once, never again. The steering gets heavier and the tyre noise gets much, much louder. I find that the handling, noise and comfort are great with 165/80 profile tyres on a 13 inch wheel or 165/70 on a 14inch wheel. and I keep the wheels 4.5 inches wide. All down to personal preference in the end.

Tim R