• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

15 inch Rims

BillyG

Silver Level Sponsor
Does anyone know of a tire company that makes a more traditional looking tire for a 15 inch Panasport rim. My current tires are Continental 175/55/R15’s and the tread pattern looks like it doesn’t fits the car. Any suggestions?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Did you have to modify any sheet metal for that wide of tire

Series Alpines are small cars and were designed for small tires (about 22.5" diameter and 5.6" to 6.0" section width). The available lateral space for rear tires on an un-modified Series Alpine is only about 9 inches and a 205 mm section width tire is typically about 8.25" wide. Putting an 8.25" section width tire in a 9" space is not difficult; the issue is what happens when the rear suspension moves.

205 mm section width rear tires can (and have been) used on un-modified Series Alpines, but the wheel / tire must be precisely located to prevent rubbing on either the outside of the leaf springs or the inside of the fender lips.

Last edited:

BillyG

Silver Level Sponsor
Series Alpines are small cars and were designed for small tires (about 22.5" diameter and 5.6" to 6.0" section width). The available lateral space for rear tires on an un-modified Series Alpine is only about 9 inches and a 205 mm section width tire is typically about 8.25" wide. Putting an 8.25" section width tire in a 9" space is not difficult; the issue is what happens when the rear suspension moves.

205 mm section width rear tires can (and have been) used on un-modified Series Alpines, but the wheel / tire must be precisely located to prevent rubbing on either the outside of the leaf springs or the inside of the fender lips.

BillyG

Silver Level Sponsor
Sounds like I should Stay away from a 205, maybe 185. With that in mind what would the Aspect number be for a 185? My current tire being 175/55/R15 I feel the side wall is too short.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sounds like I should Stay away from a 205, maybe 185. With that in mind what would the Aspect number be for a 185? My current tire being 175/55/R15 I feel the side wall is too short.

As noted in post #7, Series Alpines were originally equipped with 5.60, 5.90 or 6.00-13 tires which were about 22.5" in diameter.

Your current 175/55-15 tires have a very short sidewall and an overall diameter of about 22.6".

A 185/55-15 tire has a diameter of about 23.0".

A 185/60-15 tire has a diameter of about 23.7".

A 185/65-15 tire has a diameter of about 24.5".

In my opinion, a tire diameter of about 24" looks good on a Series Alpine, but it's your car and your choice.

BillyG

Silver Level Sponsor
I appreciate your input. I personally think it’s the short side wall is make the tire look out of place.