• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

14" wheels

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm going to swap out my wires for mags and wanted to go from 13 inch to 14 (or 15) and run a 185/80 tire for a little higher ratio (I dont care about speedo error). I see that Sunbeam Specialties has a 14 x 5.5 Minilite for $360.00 each (whew!). There are a number of threads that deal with this but I can't seem to get the answer to the basic question "Is there a good 14 or 15 inch tire an wheel combination which will give me a little higher ratio but still not require rolling valances or dealing with other interferences with suspension etc?". I'd really like to run a 6" width but no one seems to offer the 14 - 6" size. I guess I'm looking for the tallest wheel and tire combination that won't cause problems elsewhere. I'm sure I'm not the first one to try this and any suggestions/experience would be welcome.

alpine_64

Donation Time
if you want a minilite style wheel panasport, performance superlites and original minilites all come in 14x6 with sunbeam stud patterns and correct offsets. The 14x6 with 185 on the back wont be an issue.. where you have to watch the body is the leading edge of the vlaence and lip o fthe front guard.

I run 14x6 all round on both my tiger and alpine.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The typical Alpine has seen much over the past 50 years in the way of accidents and owner modification. In addition, it appears that each Alpine was a little different from any of its sister. Throw in aftermarket wheels with unknown offset and it means that when you put oversize tires on an Alpine, you do not know what you will find.

I installed 165R-13's, mounted on 5.5" Mustang II wheels. They had only about 3/4" offset and I had to trim the valence. 185-60X15's with 1 5/16" offset 6" wide wheels mounted in the hole I had created to clear the smaller tires. Others have used 195-60's mounted on the same spec wheel. I tried and couldn't.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
wheels

victoria british sells a 14" X 5.5 minilite style wheel for sunbeams at a cost of 149.95 each. i have these same wheels but in 13" on three of my sunbeams and have no problems. the 13" are listed as being 6" wide. they are made in the UK. the 14" are listed as being for tigers but they fit an alpine also. part# 9-2508

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
14 x 6.5 Panasport with 185/60-14 tires. No rubbing, but they just miss in the front. On my car I would not be able to go any bigger.
358040763_WuLde-M.jpg

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
victoria british sells a 14" X 5.5 minilite style wheel for sunbeams at a cost of 149.95 each. i have these same wheels but in 13" on three of my sunbeams and have no problems. the 13" are listed as being 6" wide. they are made in the UK. the 14" are listed as being for tigers but they fit an alpine also. part# 9-2508

Are you sure the VB 14-inch wheels fit an Alpine? I just called them, and the girl said no. But, then again, she sounded like she would have to look it up if you asked her whether they're round or square.

65beam

Donation Time
wheels

tigers and alpines have the same body, same wheel base, same front and rear track and the same bolt pattern so the wheels should fit.

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks

That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming. I'll probably get a set. The seem like the best deal out there.

Nickodell

Donation Time

I put a set of those on Matilda some 15 years ago. I chose 13" fronts to keep unsprung weight down, and 14" rears, to up the gearing some. They don't look bad, IMHO:
100_0220_zps3d927067.jpg

Here are the tall profile tires on the rear - 185/75 - to up the gear ratio a bit more:
100_0221_zpsb02f1ab0.jpg

Combined, in my rough calculation these work out to about 15% lower rpm, which is better than stock for us poor non-OD guys.

Last edited:

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
wheels

Looks great. I noticed the Minator name on the wheels. VB doesn't identify the manufacturer in the catalog, but I did a search and came up with the following:

"K N Wheels Limited is the oldest established alloy wheel company in the UK and operates from its own production plant in Telford Shropshire. K N Wheels Limited is the sole UK manufacturer of the Minator ® range of alloy wheels.The Minator ® wheel has long been popular with the owners of British classic sports cars."

Looks like a good company and product. Details are at http://home.btconnect.com/knwheelsltd/.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Quick question; probably a simple answer for this - I have wire wheels on the front of my SIV. Steel wheels on back. How do I convert the front to steel wheels? Just remove the wire wheel hubs?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

alpine_64

Donation Time
Quick question; probably a simple answer for this - I have wire wheels on the front of my SIV. Steel wheels on back. How do I convert the front to steel wheels? Just remove the wire wheel hubs?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Paul,

Yes you just need a set of the standard 4 lug hubs, coon to hillmans as well. They are the same on all series for the fronts, the back hubs are different on the later cars.